Pannepøt - Old Monk's Ale | De Struise Brouwers

Liked:
4.17/5
Alströms:

3.52/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

much like some of the other incarnations of this beer, im not as awed by it as other folks for whatever reason. it seems to miss the belgian quad mark, not quite be an old ale, and end up honestly being closer to the stingo styles, with a slight tart or tannic element, but none of those sum this up stylistically, and to me it just doesnt taste all that good. big thick amber malt body, mostly still, with a nose of dried stone fruit, figs, tart cherries, booze, and stale grain sugar. the flavor is similar, and while it almost smells infected, the other reviews here tell me thats how its supposed to be, tartness our of nowhere battles sweetness, and booze is there all the way. to me, its not that well refined, its not that different, and its not that special. maybe i had a bad bottle or something, but ive thought this about reserva and others. will have to revisit it in time, but its lack of carbonation hurt it, as did the long tannic finish. strange brew, but not one i cared for too much this time around.

3.75/5  rDev -10.1%

4.25/5  rDev +1.9%

look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

5 oz sample served at Max's Taphouse in Baltimore. From notes.

A: Pours a dark brown color. As I kind of expected, no head is formed - at best, there's a dinky off-white collar around the edge of the glass.

S: Wow, there are some wonderful dark fruit notes emanating from the aroma. I'm getting a lot of plums in particular. There are also touches of oak here and there. While I don't think it has a ton of complexity, the definition of the aroma easily compensates.

T: No surprises here. It starts with an excellent dark fruit flavor (very plummy/raisiny in particular), while it finishes with a bit of booze. When I say booze, I don't mean "fusels punching you in the face", I mean "a fruity auxiliary note that balances perfectly with everything else". There's even a touch of back end tartness. Ridiculously solid in general.

M: This hits the perfect balance between crispness, dryness, and lushness. Not only is it complex, it's also easy to drink. Plus, it's not boozy in the least. Good carbonation plays a role in its drinkability.

O: Beers like this remind me why I love De Struise: it's extreme, yet immaculately balanced and delicate all at the same time. I wouldn't have had any trouble killing several glasses of this, that's for damn sure.

4.35/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dark fruit big opaque body deep burgundy brown quadrupel on our hands, with big fluffy khaki brown head forming thick leaving fine speckled Belgian style lacing. Aroma has dark fruit raisin, plum, and other over ripened fruits seeping through your nares as you inhale each sip. I'm currently smoking a Viaje Roman Candle with this quad, and it goes great together...that's not surprising at all deep smoke, spicy black pepper, and other dark leather notes form so well with the Nicaraguan tobacco utilized in this huge spice bomb of a cigar. It's a nice combo of sweet and salty even umami at times on the palate, huge dark malt base with Belgian yeast spice providing the fermentation on this beer. Andre' Farkas from Viaje has done so well with this cigar line, but enough about the smoke let's talk more beer. Perfect level of acidity like a red grape ripened to the point that it's ready to bulge and transmorph into a plump raisin. Mouthfeel is magnificent perfect driven naturally carbonated mouthfeel leaves the palate with some effervescence to carry on the complex body and flavor. Overall, quite frankly I'm in love with this beer yet it needs more age to truly express itself the English on the front of the label says 2012 and it calls itself Old Monk's Ale...I can see why!

4.16/5  rDev -0.2%

4.11/5  rDev -1.4%

2012vintage poured into a tulip

A- Murky super dark amber verging on brown. Not much head to speak of in this beer. Bold alcohol legs.

S- Spicy figs, plums and raisins. Caramel and sweet syrup. On the sweeter side.

T- A bit syrupy, A big caramel and dark fruit presence at first. A lot of plum and raisin notes. A breaddy like aftertaste with spice. The yeast adds subtle flavor, yet a refreshing spiciness to the beer. This beer is more sweet then bitter and drinks well..

M- Thicker and syrupy but quite easy drinking.

O- A very nice beer and similar to Pannepot. My only problem is that I think my bottle has been sitting on a shelf for too long. Its still good but I cant help but think it may have been better.

4.22/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

330mL bottle picked up in Denver in March 2014. This is the 2012 version poured into a snifter. The bottle reads Pannepeut here, while other bottles I've had say Pannepot with a strike through the o.

A dark barleywine-like beer pours from the bottle, resembling a raisin in color with its dark brown base and amber hues. The head forms about a half finger thick before dissipating to a persistent layer of lace atop the beer. Carbonation bubbles steadily surge upward throughout the beer.

I get a lot of tartness and sour on the nose. I wasn't expecting this but I'm intrigued. There are hints of orange, oatmeal cookie, and a spice that I want to say is coriander. It's interesting.

Everything I got on the nose carries to the palate, but it's accompanied there by a sweet malt flavor and raisins that is very similar to a dubbel. It's almost buttery. The tartness remains but is pleasant and doesn't seem out of place. At the finish, I get an array of lingering flavors: citrus, spice, and dark fruit.

A range of sensations to this beer, ranging from tartness, to creamy and buttery, to slightly effervescent. It's pretty easy to toss back as there's no hint of booze to be found.

I have yet to be disappointed by De Struise Brouwers and this beer only reaffirms my belief that I should seek their beers out at every opportunity possible. Quite good.

Pannepøt - Old Monk's Ale from De Struise Brouwers