Black Albert | De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

Added by brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Ratings: 1,783 |  Reviews: 857

Pours opaque, dark black in color with minimal head. Taste is cocoa, dark chocolate,vanilla, dark fruit--prunes, and Belgian spices. This is way toooo smooth for a beer this big. This is the best RIS I have ever had by a long shot. Struise rarely misses and this beer is amazing...Everything you could want in a malty monster...Just get this one and be amazed.

I was fully expecting to be let down by this beer. I mean that is what happens so many times with expensive crazy hyped up beers. This would not be the case.
Black Albert displays many of the classic RIS characteristics but is distinctly Belgian. I have been a sort of skeptical of the RIS style since I had my first one. I keep trying them waiting to be blown away given the hype surrounding them. While this is not a RIS in the strictest since, it has given me a new appreciation for the style and what it can be.
I will not even attempt to describe the smell and taste of this huge and complex masterpiece. I will say that it is silky smooth, and the alcohol is no where in sight. If I had had another I would have been tempted to drink it.
If you come across one of these, do not hesitate, make the purchase. It will sting the wallet a bit, but you will be very glad once you take the first sip. Believe the hype!!

Presentation: Poured from an 11/2 oz brown bottle into a Duvel chalice. Label is black, with a picture that is a strange mix of paisley and tribal pattern. Back describes the development of this beer and recommends listening to The Brabançonne while drinking. There is notching for lot number, but no clear indication of production date.

Appearance: Pours with just over three fingers of dark brown head. This settles very slowly, essentially just slowly compacting. Eventually it drops to a still substantial coating and a more robust island of foam above the nucleation point. Decent lacing. The beer itself is black and opaque. Some sediment remains in the bottle.

Smell: Chocolate and soy sauce upfront with alcohol sweetness. Hints of cherry and vanilla.

Taste: Buttery chocolate upfront, incredibly smooth. Hints of cherry and strawberry follow. Roasted barley and hop bitterness in the finish, but extremely mellow. Warming alcohol sensation, but otherwise, the 13% is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is amazing; seems to stay in solution, giving this a creamy, milkshake-like mouthfeel. Great, thick body.

Drinkability: I must admit, I went in to this one wondering how much would be hype, but am now a believer. A great beer, in all respects. I wish I could get this in Ohio. Or maybe I don't because I would be on my way to buy several cases right now.

Black Albert has a thin, tan head, an extremely dark-brown (essentially black), opaque appearance, with brown highlights at the edges, under strong, direct light, and minor lacing left behind. The aroma is of super-sweet, dark-roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, molasses, fruit cake, and nougat. Taste is of all those elements, plus high bitterness, astringency, black cherries, licorice, raisins, and other things indescribable. Mouthfeel is thick, oily, and syrupy, and Black Albert finishes semi-wet, strong, rich, and surprisingly drinkable.

RJT

On tap at Ebenezers in a commemorative glass

A- Pours a huge coffee colored head that collapses into itself leaving lace everywhere. Black certainly describes the color

S- coffee, chocolate and vanilla
A real treat to the nose

T- The aroma continues into the mouth, with an Huge finish lasting almost
forever. I think I can still taste it this morning.

M- Very soft and complex.

D- I loved it. I want some more now.
Even at 13% abv, alcohol was barely detectable.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers