Black Albert | De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

Added by brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

#736

Ratings: 1,786 |  Reviews: 858

I was told by Matt at Capone's that this beer was a little over a year old when i bought it.

Poured into a tulip glass. Pretty black in color. No light coming through. The head is pretty creamy and tight and is a hazelnut color. Lots of viscosity as this thing just clings to the glass for dear life.

Smell is beautiful. Lots of dark roasted chocolate. Tons of espresso. A faint blueberry aroma way in the back and an old world belgian yeastiness.

Lots and lots of roasted malts. i mean an insane amount. this thing is roasted espresso and chocolate. What sets this apart from most imperial stouts is the blueberry undertones and the belgian yeast. I mean this thing is amazing.

13%abv??? Are you kidding me? This drinks like liquid velvet. Smooth rich and creamy. How such a HUGE beer could be so easy to drink just amazes me. This beer is a good time.

Drinkability is incredible. I'm waiting for the abv to hit me because it hasn't yet. Even at the ridiculous price this is worth picking up. I want to try every beer from De Struise.

I can't find any faults with this beer. I really think this may be my first perfect score. I'm going to sit here and enjoy the rest of this beer and decide on what my final score is going to be.

Most beers don't live up to the hype, I've gotten used to this. So as I purchased my 10 dollar, 330cl bottle, I was not expecting anything that revolutionized beer to me. It happened anyway. The big kicker on this beer is the thick and creamy mouth, it really brings together all facets of this wonderful brew into an orgasmic package. Dangerously drinkable, the chocolate and belgianesque funkiness really play like best friends here. My words do no justice, believe the hype.

This is an exciting moment for me, as this is the 'Batch 0' I am drinking, which is the first lot ever brewed, and also my first Black Albert or indeed first continental stout!

The pour is just amazing, the beer looks incredibly thick and a lovely white/brown head forms, which lasts about 5 minutes, leaving a thin layer on top.

The smell is utter heaven. Burnt coffee, toffee and some sort of fruit is coming through, maybe burnt nuts as well. This is laced with alcohol and a sweetness.

The taste surpassed the smell, and as I drink I get a very rich taste as well as the burntness which comes through with the smell. Rich fruits come through in the middle, as does a bitterness, which balances out towards the end of the mouthful as you swallow.

The mouthfeel is thick, akin to a milkshake, in fact this could almost be rich, dark, well developed milkshake. This makes it go down easily but also means you are left thirstier than when you started due to the sickliness of it. This is natural though as the crisp bitterness comes through here.

Overall an excellent drink, my all time favourite beer by far (so far, out of about 30 beers. edit: after 325 beers, this is still true) however I could not drink alot of it which is perhaps a bonus due to the price tag! Yes, definitely I will purchase again when I have some money to spare and want something decadent.

Sampled on tap at Ebenezer's Pub, thanks again Chris! Aroma is chocolaty, with some vanilla and coffee mixed in. Appearance is a beautiful black with a 1 inch head. Flavor is a wonderful mix of bitter chocolate and coffee with caramel notes to help make it extra smooth. Mouthfeel is amazing as well. I cannot get enough of this brew smooth with small carbonation.
Overall the best RIS I've ever had.
It beats Kate, Darklord and Darkness all in the arse. When it finally is available in bottle I will be buying up every bottle I see.

GLASS: Imperial Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees

When poured, slowly, this black liquid still manages to be the bottom third of the glass with a massive tan head filling the other two thirds. Wow. Minimal lacing but great head retention.

Dark fruits and sweet roasted malts. Slight yeastiness mixes with apples and pears. Mild vanilla notes. It actually hints at the smell of a nice top-shelf Rum.

Oh, yeah. That's what I'm talking about, right there. B-A-L-A-N-C-E. Man oh man.
Dark roasted malts mix with sweet candy sugars and a slight hops bite to create ambrosia. Alcohol is very well hidden. Chocolate covered dark fruit flavors. Slight hint of coffee. Toffee and vanilla sweetness. An ever so slight hint of licorice.
All through this, it retains a nice earthy/grainy quality.

Nice and velvet-like in the mouth. Just the way I like it. Very creamy and smooth. Slight touch of oily-ness.

Exceptional! This is one amazing brew. I could drink this everyday from now on out and be completely happy.
Super tasty and super easy to drink. My very first 'perfect' rating for a beer.

All hail Black Albert! A dark dark soy sauce color with a thin head. It has a sweet smell with hints of fruit and coffee. The taste of this one is amazing, the best part being the signature De Struise Belgian-style sweetness that I think makes this stout exceptional. The mouth feel is very slippery yet nice and thin and easy to sip on. I have tasted great Belgians and great Imperial Stouts and this seems to be a hybrid of the two making for the most unique and delicious beer I've had to date.

4.99/5  rDev +17.1%

4.98/5  rDev +16.9%

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

This is a wonderful brew! I just wish I didn't have to travel 350 miles to get it! It's everything an RIS should be, and more. Not coffee...not chocolate...sort of enigmatic. 13%...yup, it's in there! It's a cornucopia of malty goodness and well hidden alcohol. IF you smell it close up, you will smell the booze, but, it's highly drinkable. If you're at Ebenezer's, don't pass it up. One of the best beers on the menu!

4.97/5  rDev +16.7%

Drank from a 330 ml bottle
BA No.14
Lot A; Best before April 2013
Served in a chalice
Acquired in a trade with deepsouth

What was once the number one beer in the world, Black Albert has slowly fallen down the charts over the past year. (As of this review, it was no longer one of the top 100 beers on planet earth.) Let us see what the hype (and the controversy) was all about.

The beer poured a deep, ashy black color with brown tinges when held to the light. An impressive looking (especially for a beer this high in alcohol), dense, creamy, silky smooth, saddle brown head slowly faded to a resilient cap of froth. Small blocks of lacing stuck along the sides of the glass.

The aroma was intense and extraordinarily complex. Dark, sweet, fruity and earthy with indications of must and leather. A distinctly Belgian yeast note was apparent. The yeast gave off a fragrant, almost floral nuance. (Perhaps some jasmine or lavender.) Indications of dark Belgian candi sugar came through strong. Toffee and roasted nuts were also noticeable. Dark rum and brown sugar notes appeared as the liquid warmed. All in all, the aroma was unlike anything I have experienced before in a beer.

The taste was every bit as impressive and as intense as the aroma. Fruity, raisiny, plummy and sweet up fronts with lots of dark malt flavor. The alcohol warmth appeared immediately but it was balanced by a plethora of captivating flavors. Slightly roasty and woody in the center. Dark chocolate, molasses, rum and vanilla notes also came though strong. A milky, lactic-like flavor was detectable as well. Slightly coffee-ish on the back end. This stout was definitely geared more toward "fruity and sweet" than "roasty and bitter" however. The finish was sublime. Yeasty and silky smooth with no hint of the 13% ABV detectable.

The mouthfeel was simply flawless. Super creamy, frothy, slick and silky smooth with a medium-full body. This beer was heavier than a typical Belgian quad but lighter than most Russian imperial stouts. After each sip, the residual sugars in the beer left a sticky coating on my lips.

Drinkability was literally off the charts. I never have (and probably never will) sample a 13% ABV beer that goes down so easily. I did however feel some numbing on my tongue near the drink's end. This beer was simply a joy to consume.

Simply put, Black Albert was one of the finest beers to have ever touched my lips. I am perplexed as to the reason behind this beer's quick descension down the charts. (I did hear however that different batches taste remarkably dissimilar. This may explain some of the discrepancies.) If you have not tried this beer before, I suggest you to do so. If you have tried it and did not experience what I did, I urge you to try it again.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers