Black Albert | De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers
noordhoek.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

Added by brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Reviews: 853 | Ratings: 1,768
3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

Served at cellar temp in a crystal snifter. Brownish black with a light brown head of soapy bubbles that slowly settles out and leaves a ring around the insides of the glass.

Rich aroma of vinous grapes, bitter chocolate, and port wine.

Flavors of dark chocolate, rich espresso, sasafrass, licorice, notes of woody oak, brandy, leather and smoke. Velvety flavors meet a fruity tangy finish as hints of raspberry and currant rise up.

Full mouthfeel, pretty round, moderate carbonation but tingles on the tongue and warms the cheeks. Dry and powdery tannic finish.

Very tasty, good sipper, scary smooth for such high ABV. Thanks to barleywinefiend for pssing this beauty my way.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

12-oz bottle in a snifter at nearly room temperature. Thanks to Rusty Diamond for the hookup!

Pours a dark purplish-brown that allows some light to come through around the edges. A loose, active head settles to a ring that revives nicely with a swirl to form a tight foam that is clingy but not particularly sticky.

aroma of earthy malts, alcohol, char, wet coffee grounds, some pruney, over-ripe fruit.

tastes of roasted malts, sweet alcohol, coffee, and herbs. Medicinal astringency in the finish. Quite dry, with only a flash of dark fruit. Belgian yeast lends a funky tang.

Mouthfeel is a bit thinner than anticipated, but this is a highly attenuated stout. Hot alcohol on the breath. Carbonation is a tad prickly, adding to the medicinal character.

An interesting take on the style and worth a try, but to me it lacks complexity to match its big alcohol bite and bitter finish. Would certainly improve with age.

3.97/5  rDev -6.4%

An 11.2 ounce bottle purchased at State Line in MD. Uncapped and poured into my nonic Imperial pint glass. The stout appears a dark brown color with a good two inches of fizzy, creamy tan foam. Nose and flavors consist of fruity gumballs, molasses, bakers chocolate, dates, figs, slightly sour, prunes, alcohol is hidden quite well here. Somewhere between medium and full bodied with adequate carbonation levels. This is a tasty beer, but I find Weyerbachers XIII to be far superior. Good but certainly not worth the price.

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Bought at Bruisin' Ales for $10. I let the bottle warm up a bit before opening it. The aroma isn't that great. It's actually fairly mild for an impy stout. I get a little roastiness, but a fruity character takes the lead. I've smelled that same thing in some Belgian quads. The taste is a mix of sweetness and roastiness. To me, it tastes like what I would imagine a mixture of something like Expedition stout and Gouden Carolus Carolus D'Or (Cuvée Van De Keizer) or heck...how about Expedition and Pannepot would taste. The 13% alcohol content is well hidden. It has a Belgian character, but a mild one, and not something which is sour, funky, brett-ish, etc. Again, the mild, Belgian-style, sweetish, fruitiness is the main character I'm getting in this brew. It's sort of a dark, stewed fruit character. If I had been blindfolded and had been given this beer, I doubt I would have guessed it was an imperial stout. Whatever the case, it's a nice, drinkable, dark-Belgian brew. Is it worth $10 to me? No, but it was fun to try once.

Thanks to jwinship83 for trading me a bottle of this to try

A - black, nice medium sized light brown head with a nice even lacing on the glass.

S - Strong, potent boozy smell over all. Faint malt.

T - The boozy tastes over power everything else, roasted malts... Not complex.

M - Thick bodied, smooth

D - Easy drinker, however I wasn't impresses with its boozyness taste.

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

A - A mountain of light brown head forms, about 1 1/2 inch, when poured. Black and completely opaque.

S - Sweet maple syrup, raisins, creamy milk chocolate and caramel aroma. All combine to make a great smelling beer.

T - Surprisingly, it has a very roasty, almost burnt coffee flavor that the nose doesn't lead on about. Bitterness really pulls through and there is even a tiny bit of hop flavor underneath. Does not come off as strong as other 13% stouts.

M/D - Rich and creamy mouth that leaves a sugary stickiness on the top of the mouth and tongue. Overall, an enjoyable beer and I'm glad I had the chance to try it!

3.96/5  rDev -6.6%

Generously received this brew from hoppymeal as an extra! and mikesgroove in the Black Booty BIF '09. This has been on tap all around me for the past couple months yet somehow eluded me. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip.

Best consumed by April 2013. Batch #14.

Appearance- Pours a thick super dark black with a huge two finger dark tan head that recedes very slowly. Quite a bit of thick tan lacing is left on the glass from the fairly prominent collar and thin cap.
Smell- The slightest bit of roast starts with nose with a light coffee character this isn't really chocolaty but somewhat raw and earthy. The slightest bit of sour is sorta musty and dirty from the yeast. Some dark fruitiness comes through a bit more as it warms adding some smoky raisin and prune like character. The alcohol is easily detectable when the beer hits room temperature though at 13% I wouldn't expect less.
Taste- Starts with a somewhat acrid roastiness that is semi bitter and slightly cocoa like. Some notes of carob and espresso show early but are quickly overpower by the fruitiness. This brew is really heavy on the dark fruits including rum soaked cherries, figs, prunes and ridiculously plumped raisins. The beer seems to sweeten a bit as it warms but fades again and leaves a lingering fruity bitterness. A slight bit of alcohol and smoke show on the finish.
Mouthfeel- Actually my favorite part of the beer. The carbonation manages to be fairly intense yet the body is full and creamy.
Drinkability- Overall this is a fairly tasty brew. Not worth the all the hype it's received (or the price) but definitely worth a try. I can't really think of anything that I've tried that I could compare it too. Think a sort of dry Irish Stout mixed with a Rochefort 10 or something. Big thanks again to Derek and Mike!

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Pours a dark, almost opaque brown, with a light tan head that isn't that impressive in head or fullness and disappears rather quickly. Aromas of roasted coffee, rich plum, and dark chocolate. The taste starts out with a mix of sweet dark fruit and coffee and hints of coffee, with a roasted malt finish. I was expecting a fuller body from 13% alcohol, moderate carbonation. I was expecting a little more from this beer given some of the hype around it. Not a bad beer I just don't think it is worth the price tag, many other better strong stouts out there

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

Picked up at Crown Liquors in Carmel, IN - thanks to Mike for putting it in my hands.

Pours opaque with a carmel-colored head with good retention. Aroma has nice complexity, with dark cherry, chocolate, and alcohol all evident. These elements all come out in the taste as well, along with carmel, licorice, and some roast. The mouthfeel is quite dry and the alcohol well hidden- doesn't taste like 13%.
Not sure I'd classify this as a RIS - the dryness and complexity mark it as one with a definite Belgian character. Also, you must let it warm up to let out all the complexity

Overall, an interesting and pleasant drinking beer - worth trying if you have the chance, but IMO perhaps a bit underwhelming considering the hype it gets.

3.95/5  rDev -6.8%

A- Pours black with a brown/light brown head. The head consists of a mingling of small and large bubbles. Great lacing as well as alcohol legs.

S- Smells of molasses, some fusels, cherry, cranberry, acetone, earthiness, coffee ice cream, and some bitter chocolate.

T- Tastes of molasses, cherry, cranberry, fusels, some alcohol, and finishes extra dry with bitter bakers chocolate. Earthiness as well. Definitely a Belgian. The alcohol shows some heat on the way down. Basically what you smell is what you taste.

M- Full medium bodied, yet creamy as it warms. Would like to see this one be thicker, especially with this being a big stout.

D- Lighter body makes this a bit easier to drink, not to mention it is a fairly tasty beer. Considering the alcohol its pretty easy to drink, actually.

Good beer. Definitely worth a try if you like Belgians and want to try a beer that's half Belgian strong dark and half stout.

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

Black I color with penetration to light. There's a fingernail of khaki colored head on top. The aroma is sweet dark malt with notes of chocolate. The flavor is more on the sweet side. Initially there is roasted barley, but it is quickly overtaken by sweet chocolate and plum. The mouth is thick, sticky, and syrupy.

3.94/5  rDev -7.1%

A - Pours pitch black, finger of dark mocha head with little retention and no lacing.

S - Very rich with dark cocoa dominating, though comes across a tad musty.

T - The chocolate notes dominate, and comes across very sweet. Rich would be an understatement. The ABV is pretty well hidden, though it's tough to mask 13%.

M - Medium bodied, goes down smooth and finishes with a touch of dryness. not overly sticky either which is nice.

O - A bold brew and certainly not for the faint of heart. A great tasting brew and glad I picked up a bottle before I left Alberta.

Reviewed 8/21/09

Poured from a capped 11.2 oz bottle. I have been sitting on this one for about 6 months, and I cannot for the life of me recall why I was saving this.

Firm pour calls fourth about a quarter inch of coco head. Very nice thick fuzzy lace. Color is absolute black, the absence of light.

Nose- Still a bit cold from the fridge but starting to open up. Some coco bakers chocolate, lots of very dark fruit. Raisins dominate the nose. Dark Rum, some burnt caramel, dates.

Taste- Very different. Its like a quad and a stout combined. Initially I get some very quad-esque flavors, raisins, dates a bevy of dark fruits. Stout characteristics come through in the second portion of the flavor profile. Some nice coco, coffee and bakers chocolate. Alcohol is fairly apparent. Long dry finish.

Mouthfeel- Exceedingly smooth, not as heavy as one would think.

Drinkability- This is a beast. Truly a sipper, one is more then enough.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours black, big surprise. A big three finger foamy head that is tan in colour. The head seems to well at first, but falls to a thin cap once I start to drink. Little lacing.

Smells of dark malt and yeastiness. Touch of solvent (faint). Black licorice. Even just a little bit of tamarind.

Hits the tongue dry and prickly with carbonation. Flavour is something of a hybrid of a dryer RIS and a Quadruple, though more so the stout. Tries to be sweet up front, but it almost seems that the carbonation is too sharp and mutes the flavour. The middle opens up much more nicely and provides a range of sweetness, from malty to fruity. Faint cola impression at the end. Alcohol barely apparent to taste. Body is lighter than expected.

This one changes in character as I drink, carbonation seems to settle slightly, and this makes the body seem a bit fuller. That makes the flavour seem to reach further across the tongue, and gives a nicer impression of the flavours. Marks start to get higher.

This is a good beer, and quite a unique experience for me. However, this is the most expensive beer I've had if I break it down to $/mL, and I don't think it is quite worth the cost. I could actually buy a six pack of local beers for less than the cost of one 330 mL bottle. Absolutely worth trying once though.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Not what I expected at all. Reviewed from notes.

A- Pitch black with a dark tan cloud and ring. Sticky suds and spotty lace stay around on the glass. The cloud is very nice and re-appears after each sip.

S- Grape juice, very surprising but it was so up front and strong. The dark roasty malt is there but the grape aroma keeps reminding me of wine. Some alcohol as well. Easily the weirdest aroma of any RIS I have had.

T- Not very Stout like at all. Like a quad filled with some cocoa and grapes. Slight dark roast malt, spice and yeast flavors remind me of a Quad, as well as some dark raisin/fruit notes. Hops are in the background and are earthy and grassy, 100IBU?! The grapes and wine notes persist but aren't nearly as strong as they were in the nose, crazy take on a stout but I don't mind it. Alcohol is VERY well hidden.

MF- Thick body, nice and creamy. Pretty warm from the alcohol but it suits the flavors. A coat of dark fruit, vine and cocoa stay on the palate.

DB- Very pricey and very unexpected. I dont even know what to say. It is a good tasting beer but feels like someone mixed a Quad and a RIS with wine. It is drinkable for 13% and I will probably try future batches at some point. Surprising...

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%

Batch 0 (or at least it has "0." in marker on the cap -- it came directly from the brewery so I'll have to assume that's correct).

11.2oz bottle into a perfect pint.

A - Black as night, with a slim finger of head. Not much in the way of retention, but I'm expecting that given the 13%. Plenty of short-lived lacing.

S - It's definitely chocolatey, with some sweet notes of burnt sugar and toffee. There's a fruity aroma to it, mainly in the background, with blackberry and plum. I can see where people get the quad-like qualities.

T - More interesting than I thought it would be. Plenty of dark chocolate, with vanilla and almost an oaky flavor, although I don't think this was aged at all. The dark fruit is much more subdued, and is more in the area of cherry than anything else. An earthy quality that I enjoy in an RIS. This is outstanding.

M - Not as thick as I'd like. The carbonation is very fine, which makes it feel too thin. This beer could definitely benefit from a heavier consistency, but it's not bad.

D - I could go for another one of these for sure, but the abv would keep me from drinking them all night. Very little alcohol detected in the finish, which is surprising for a 13% beer.

O - This one was pretty hyped, and while it didn't quite live up to that it was definitely a nice beer. If it weren't for the price and rarity I'd drink it a lot more.

3.93/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

11.2 oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Apperance- Dark, dark, dark beer. Pours black with a half finger head that quickly dissipates into a thin patchy coating. This thing is a beauty as it creeps down your glass.

Smell- First thing that comes to mind is black cherry, and dark fruits. A bitter chocolate smell is also present. A bit of alcohol tingles the nose.

Taste- Very smooth, this beer does not taste like a 13% beer, alcohol is well hidden. The dark fruit comes through, there is a slight bitterness in the finish perhaps from the chocolate.

Mouthfeel- Slick, rich and lightly carbonated. Coats your mouth nicely to enjoy the flavor.

Overall- I enjoyed the Black Albert, I'm glad my local store owner recommended it. Would I seek this beer out again? Probably not, but I would pick up another if our paths happen to cross again.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

11.2 oz bottle poured into a De Dolle tulip.

A- Jet Black. No light may pass. One finger Dark Tan head with large bubbles. This doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

S- Rum soaked brown bannanas. Definetly belgian yeast in this. Slightly metalic. Old coffee grounds.

T- Toasty Chocolate milk. Like when you put to much ovaltine in a glass of milk (which i like). More of that funky bannana. Burnt roast comes in at the end. Very Pleasant. Much better then the smell.

M- This isn't one of those super thick motor oil like Impy stouts. Much drier like the other belgian stouts i've had, which is pleasant.

D-This thing is 13%? No way! No alcohol heat. Not crazy boozy or anything. If it wasn't for the aroma this thing would've been near perfect.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Shared this one DrewOSU tonight - I wanted something nice to wrap up the night. I picked this up at Bruisin' Ales in North Carolina after Sexual Chocolate Day '09. 11.2 Ounce bottle for $9.99. Lot B 6 BB on the label (whatever that means).

Black with dark brown, clear highlights sitting below a 1/2 inch dark tan head. Nice, chunky dark tan lacing after a light agitation in my Nørrebro Bryghus flute.

After I poured my DrewOSU's share, I moved the beer by my nose and smells malts - big nose. On a more concentrated sniff, I got a surpisingly big nose full of hops! Per the label, there's 100 IBU and I believe it! Unfortrunately, that's all I got - vegetable, slightly citrus and earthy hops... Further sniffing, as it warms is alcohol and coffee.

Big, scathing coffee and heavily/almost burnt malts. The alcohol heat from the 13% ABV is definitely present but not in the forefront. Moderately complex flavor profile with earthy hops definitely in the mix.

This is the first really big RIS I have had since Dark Lord Day, so I needed to refresh my palate. Wow...

It's a very concentrated flavor almost syrupy at times. In fact, if the body was thicker, I would compare this to Surly's Darkness because of the big, burnt combination of malts and hops.

This is a very nice, big beer and I'm glad I got to try it - but I don't feel the need to run out and get more the price.

3.92/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottle from the 2010 batch, pours black with some light coming through the corners, and a spotty tan head. Nose is focused on a nice Belgian quadrupel yeast and has some charred, ashy elements of an imperial stout. Very light roasted coffee and maybe some cherries. Flavor is an interesting mish-mash, more roasted malt than in the nose, of course that smooth Belgian yeast, and some bittering influences rising up in the finish. Bitter coffee perhaps even some hop oils rising up there. Pretty nice, kind of zesty and bright, but the flavors aren't focused as they could be, so while tasty, it's kind of unfocused.

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle. This little guy has been in the cellar far too long and it is now time to try it. Lot B6BB, whatever that means. Poured into a tulip glass a dark brown/black color with a very large, fluffy tan head that is rather slow to dwindle down. As the head settles out enough for me to stick my nose in it, I get whiffs of dark fruit, dark bitter chocolate, and in the end some notes of booze. The head finally dies down, leaving an abundance of sticky lace on the glass. The one concern I have with this is that both in the nose and the taste there is an almost mild sour apple smell and taste, but really no other indication of infection so I think this is how it is suppose to be (?). The flavors are really blended quite well though and this is pretty smooth for a 13% beer. Starts of with dark fruit and slightly sour apple flavor that smoothly transition to a mild roasty flavor. Ends with some lingering bitterness. Overall, this is rather enjoyable even with the strange apple smell/taste. Medium mouthfeel.

33cl Bottle

Lot A/4/BB

I get the chance to try Black Stout thanks to the generosity of BitterBill, thanks Bill! Black Albert, the Royal Stout, pours midnight black and has enough light sucking darkness to keep any light from shining through the body. The head grew quickly to three fingers and about slipped out of the glass. The beige head became craggy and slowly fell to a finger cap that left chunky peaked lacing on its way down. This is a good looking stout with great head retention for the big abv.

The smell on this beer throws me off a little bit. I'm actually having a hard time putting my finger on the maltiness of this brew. Some lightly booze soaked dark berries are deep down along with a dusting of cocoa and prune juice. What sticks out the most to me is the spicy, musty yeastiness in the form of super dry wood, musty mossiness, and spices I can't quite put my finger on. The nose on this beer is complex but I can't decide if it's entirely to my liking or not. A swirl of the glass to get the head growing gives off a roastiness that borders burnt rubber that I could live without but it's only right after a swirl.

The flavor has the same kind of profile as the nose but it seems to meld together more to my liking. Prune juice and roasty malts kick things off. The brandy soaked berries are waiting around in the back with a mild touch of vanilla. Cocoa plays a nice role mid-palate through the finish and is my favorite aspect of this stout. The yeastiness isn't as apparent in the flavor until the swallow but it brings back the wood and mustiness that the nose introduced me to. There's some spiciness on the finish but I still can't put my finger on exactly what spice(s) it is. This is an interesting beer for sure.

The body was way too airy and light right after the pour but as this beer has sat the body mellows to moderate with a somewhat creamy texture. The swallow brings some roasty bitterness that lingers briefly. This beer could be a little heavier but it's good where it's at.

This is a fairly easy drinking beer. The lighter body keeps it flowing easy and I don't believe for a second that this beer is 13% like the bottle says. The heat is minimal at best and I'm not warming up much even though I'm close to the end of the bottle.

This is an interesting stout from De Struise. There were things I liked and things I didn't but overall this is a good brew. The spiciness threw me off a first but grew on me as I drank. Thanks again for this treat Bill!

3.91/5  rDev -7.8%

A huge thanks tpd975 for this special brew. You're the best man!

330 ml. bottle poured into a snifter. The small picture of the pregnant woman drinking a beer crossed out is priceless.

Pours a beautiful thick black with a full two finger mocha colored head that takes a while to die down to a creamy layer that lasts. Decent wall of stick left on the sides of the glass, nice looking brew for sure. Damn this is a strong smelling beer. Lots of dark fruits; fig, cherries, blueberries, dates, raisins, and blackberries just to name a few. Along with the dark fruits is a huge boozy aroma, almost medicinal. Underneath all that is a bit of dark chocolate, yeast, and freshly roasted coffee. Taste starts off pretty smokey and roasted with a good amount of black coffee and bitter chocolate. The dark fruits come through midway with sweet molasses and hearty wheat bread. An interesting sting left in the mouth towards the end lingering into the toasted marshmallow aftertaste. Very silky soft feel with a medium to full body. Carbonation is steady and noticable, but doesn't take away from the beer. The bite it leaves in the mouth though is something I've never really experienced, unique for sure. For the 13% this is pretty drinkable, still a sipper, but the abv is quite hidden. After all the recognition this beer received, I'm a bit let down. One of a kind beer, but there are plenty out there I prefer over Black Albert. Maybe it's better on tap, I dunno? I'm just not that impressed.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

11.2 oz glass bottle poured into Chimay chalice

A--Dark dark dark. Light doesn't escape it. Thin, creamy, brown head. Brownest I've seen. Thick.

S--Coffee. Fruity booze. Heavy molasses.

T--Nutty and boozy. Fruity warmth balanced by rich coffee that's mildly bitter. Yeah, I've mentioned booze twice, but this would definitely pass for less than 13%! I see this beer weighs in at 100 IBU, but it's so balanced on the heavy malt side that this finishes sweet.

M--A little on the thick side, but not sticky or heavy. Creamy. Full bodied and lingers on the palate, but not in an offensive way.

D--HOO boy. 1 and done. Not that it's the beer's fault. It's a KO and you know it.

3.9/5  rDev -8%

Poured from a bottle into a nonic imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a thick black color with a very minimal light brown caramel colored head. Almost no glass lacing.

S: Dark chocolate, spice, sugary sweetness and alcohol.

T: Very bitter with flavors of dark bitter chocolate, dark roasted coffee, licorice, dried fruit and tar. In the middle you get the belgian yeast spice flavor and the finish comes up with the sugar candy sweetness. Lingering is a roasted flavor with bitterness and sweetness. Lots of flavors show up once the beer warms, so make sure you give it time.

M: Thick, dense and alcoholic. I can feel the 13% and the beer just lingers in the mouth.

D: Medium at best. This is a sipper and one tiny bottle is enough.

Overall a very good beer, but not really my bag. A bit too big for me with the alcohol and the super roasty flavors. Still I'm really glad I tried it.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers