Black Albert | De Struise Brouwers

Black AlbertBlack Albert

De Struise Brouwers
noordhoek.com

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Originally brewed exclusively for Ebenezer's Pub in Lovell, ME.

Added by brewandbbq on 08-23-2007

Reviews: 856 | Ratings: 1,773
4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

Got this bottle from Stein's Deli in New Orleans. Awesome selection. Poured into a Great Divide balloon glass.

This beer pours a dark, sinister black. Looks quite thick. Nice creamy tan head. Good lacing and retention. Can't really argue with the presentation here.

The nose is sweet and chocolatey. Maybe milk chocolate and plums? Vanilla and fruity Brett funk? The sweet RIS homebrew I currently have on tap has a lot of the same characteristics. The booze is definitely hiding out there. Very interesting.

The taste is along those same lines. Sweet and stouty. Dark fruits dominate. Fruity sour notes. It all blends quite well and the mouthfeel is perfect to deliver those tastes. I could sip on is after dinner every night. An excellent beer that makes me appreciate my current homebrew... and at the same time wish it was more.

EDIT: this is 13% ABV? Damn. +1 on the drinkability. It had me fooled. I was guessing around 10.

4.56/5  rDev +7.5%

Pours a pure black, with a tight, but small, head. Smells a bit funky, in a good way, there is a hint of fruit and spice.

Wow! That is one serious beer. Ive been reading the label as I wait for it to warm. 100 IBUs, seems like a lot, but you barely notice it in this beast. Royal Belgian Stout. I like that, I'm going to have to brew one of these.

There is a hint of coco, some coffee, with an underlying sweetness tempered with a yeasty spiciness, its a very intriguing brew, I wish I had more than 33cl.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle from t' Brugges beertje, expertly poured into struise glass of course :D

A: About as perfect as it gets for an RIS. wonderful golden tan 4 finger cap - laces as good as some of the finest lace crafters in Bruges. Black as night liquid.

S: No coffee, no Chocolate, no bullshit. This is just choc full of wonderful roasted malt and aromatic hops

T: Perfectly balanced. Yes, there is some chocolate in here, but its very deep and very well crafted. I didnt take notes, but this was one incredibly complex and balanced stout.

M: Like velvet straight from liberace's suits

D: The most drinkable %13 beer I've ever had. I murdered this bottle and I could have had several more; My aching liver!

Well this is definitely the best, and most balanced stout Ive ever had. I really do like the coffee and chocolate stouts, but this stout is something better than that - complex yet highly drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

A- This beer pours out pitch black, no light passing through. The head is a tight and dense rich mocha color. Thick milky cap that hangs around forever. Not a lot of lace which can be expected from a beer of this strength, but above the cap is a milkshake consistency coating.

S- Intriguing, really nothing like I was expecting. Big bold aromas! Rich dark chocolate, cherries and plums. Oodles of malt in this. Fantastic underlying aromas of smoky woodiness and licorice. Earthy hop aromas and sour notes as well.

T- Holy hell that's different from anything I've ever tasted. Again, big rich flavors! The malt and dark fruits really come out at the start. Midway through the hops really start to shine and are melded together in the finish with huge chocolate flavors and a tart sourness. More chocolate left lingering.

M- Feel is very good. Unbelievable smooth, medium bodied and carbonation. Sticky and really coates the mouth the more you drink.

D- This is by far the easiest drinking beer I've had of this strength. Extremly hard to put down. A sipping beer this was not! It just kept getting better and better, had to adjust my score by the end.

Black Albert on tap at Binny's South Loop

A- pours a dark black with minimal head and good lacing.

S- Nice roasted malts, chocolate.

T- Really delicious and simple. Good stout taste without being too much ,,,,anything.

M- Not too thick. Decent carbonation.

D- Unbelievable that this stuff is 13%. Almost no alc. detected. This stuff is not overly done which makes it so nice. Drank this stuff really too quick and really felt it afterward. Excellent stuff but a bit too expensive to try again.

Picked up at Nikki's Liquors in Providence, RI
Poured in to a pint glass
Lot B6BB

A: This beer pours at first a deep dark chocolate brown, but as it settles in the glass looks an opaque black. One finger of brown sudsy head that recedes pretty quickly. Wispy lacing is left on the glass.

S: Nose is WAY nutty! Wow, hazlenut notes really hit you! Amazing! Major fig and molasses notes. Some hints of caramel malts and dark fruits.

T: Taste is vanilla up front, touch of oak, and then a major dose of toffee and molasses. Milk chocolate, roasted malts, and a hint of booze fill out the middle. The finish is all fruitiness. Serious dark fruits. At first, all I could taste was a raisin flavoring that hung, the more I sipped the more the taste of cherry pulled through as well.

M: Medium body, light to medium carbonation, clean feel up front with a touch silky finish.

D: Goes down easily for 13%, not much of a boozy kick, but it definitely has a kick. Great RIS! This is a definitely a beer that I will seek out again.

On tap at Ebenezer's.

Black, of course, with thin head which fades to ring and leaves no lacing.

Complex maltiness, sweetness, roasted grains, molasses, chocolate, boozy heat.

Boozy heat, complex malty and sweet flavors, chocolate, mild roastiness, molasses. Clean finish.

Thick, full, warming, lightly carbonated, creamy, slightly dry finish.

Imminently drinkable. Though I noticed the alcohol in some sensations, had no idea it was 13% until I went to review. Damned tasty. Non-beer geek girlfriend also very impressed by this one. I was prepared for it to be just pretty good, due to the hype, but I'm saying it is exceptional.

4.57/5  rDev +7.8%

Review #666. Not an evil beer per say, but certainly something the devil would enjoy!

This is Black Albert Batch 0 ordered from Struise, and a purple marker indicates the "0" on the cap. I carefully poured this 11.2oz bottle into 2 snifters and shared with Paul. Cheers to great beers!!

Black Albert looks great in the glass. It is an opauqe black - a very solid color without any signs of variation around the edges. A ring of tan foam exists on top, but this could have better head retention. Still, it is very appealing and I need to put my nose in it now!

The smell is amazing. The nose is full of black strap molasses sweetness and roasted malt. There's some deep, bitter dark Belgian chocolate and a touch of dark roasted coffee. Some fruitiness compliments the sweetness and avoids this being too polarized in scents - the figs, ripe raisin and plum notes serve as a bridge.

The taste is up there with some of the best RIS's in the world. It's sweeter than expected, but the nice roastiness balances it and it never approaches cloying territory. The dark roast is almost burned, but there are heavy notes of chocolate and coffee. The dark fruits noted in the nose are all present. Some Belgian Candy sugar sweetness peaks then the roast rounds things out. Some char and bitter hops round out a fantastic drinking experience. Batch 0 is the shit - way more of an RIS than Batch 14 that was available stateside and had more yeast and less roast. A touch of booze is noticeable but at 13% is masked better than just about any big beer I've had.

Mouthfeel is huge and creamy. I thought this was going to be flat given that the head was underwhelming, but it's thick and has the perfect amount of carb. What a beer - this is easily the best stout from outside of America I've ever had and probably the best dark beer from Belgium I've ever had. Killer stuff, buy on sight when it's up at Struise Webshop!

4.58/5  rDev +8%

As I prepare to drink this beer the phrase "The one that would be King" comes to mind.

Even a mild pour gets a monsterous three fingers of rocky carmel colored head. Body is like living black symbiote, evil and soulless. Nose is actually on the softer side with some black anise, burnt molases and zesty carmalized malt, very unique even for a stout. Layers of dark cherries, molases, bitter chocolate, black licorice and burnt malt really paint the mouth. Some dark soured fruit comes through on the back of the palate. This is a very deeply complex beer. Mouthfeel is amazingly smooth and creamy and the more you drink the more you love and get out of it. I could drink this beer all night but at some point I would be thankful it is only 330ml. Delecious. I know that many of the hardcore beer geeks will be disapointed that it is getting more distributed. I hope that doesnt affect it scores but I know it probably will.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Pours jet black and somewhat viscuos looking. Very nice dark tan head that lasts and lasts. Nice roasted aroma-somewhat licorice and wine like. Outstanding roasted flavor mixed with a deep licorice like flavor. Black treacle/molasses tinge to it. Has a heavy dried fruit flavor. Good solid hop bite to it though not overly done. Slight, lingering sweetness. Very well balanced between all the flavors. Extremely solid mouthfeel-somewhat syrupy and slick. Very drinkable and enjoyable. Lives up to the hype for sure though quite pricey.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

This pours from 11.2oz bottle a pitch black with a 3 finger and growing head of foa. "suce me while I knock down the foam some....Hmmm, that tan foam sure is tasty. ;^) Awesome head retention here and the lacing is very good.

The smell is loaded with dark fruit, caramel, and did somebody mention grapes?? You darn tootin there is a grape aroma here. wow.

The taste is pretty darned sweet with a good caramel presence and some figs, some plum, gee wiz grapes, some dark chocolate, slight coffee note, but...I just can't get over that grape. Who'd have thunk that it would work so well in beer?? Anyhow, I digress.

Wonderfully full bodied and silky smooth, light in carbonation, it finishes with a nice dash of chocolate and I'm going to say milk chocolate because it's on the sweet side. Still, as sweet as it is, it's very drinkable because it's not cloying at all. And the alcohol, which is quite substantial, has no presence in either the smell or the taste. It only shows up some time after the swallow. Very unusual example of the style and one that I favour a lot.

Bottom line: Yeah, it's a superhyped brew and I couldn't resist seeking some out(Belgian Shop) and I *did* pay a few bucks to have 6 bottles delivered but, if I didn't like it as much as I did, I would say so and follow up with "never again" In this case, I think what I got for my money is a very special brew and I'm glad for it.

4.58/5  rDev +8%

A - Pours a thick black color with a tan head that stays throughout, few small, slowly rising bubbles

S - Scents of dark chocolae, freshly ground coffee beans, and alcohol

T - The taste is complex, with hints of a dark chocolate expresso followed by hints of fruit, probably raisins or dates with a smokey hint.

M - Silky smooth medium bodied, with only a hint of carbonation, the way I like beer

D - Very Dangerous! A wonderful beer that masks it's 13% abv with a very smooth taste. Other than the high alcohol content (great for me, but others might not like), one of the best beers and certainly worth it

4.58/5  rDev +8%

Batch '0' - I rarely give a beer a 5 for appearance but this beer is nuts. Black, but the head looks like a well frothed cappucinno. Some lacing. The aroma is complex and layered, coffee, cacao, dried fruit - raisin, plum and prune, + some licorice. Alot of interesting Belgian yeast driven flavors are happening here. Dried fruit, plum, and figgy jam flavors. These come coupled with your typical chocolate, coffee, roasted malt and bitterness. A strange marriage that works with harmony. Brialliant blending of flavors.
Amazingly full body and somehow dry. No presence of the high alcohol content, not hot just perfect. Really such an exceptional beer = period.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: pours a black color with a short 1/2" head that falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: big roasted malts sweetness, alcohol, brown sugar, and a nice floral bitterness provides a great aroma.

Taste: huge roasted malt profile with some hearty chocolates, lighter coffee tones, prunes, alcohol, and a big bitterness make a truely flavorful big beer experience.

Mouthfeel: heavy in body. Smooth to start, smooth and almost syrupy late. Aftertaste is long as the flavors last in the mouth for a long time.

Drinkability: huge alcohol levels knock this category down a notch as this is a true slow sipping beer. But it goes down smoothly and a must have for every BA.

4.59/5  rDev +8.3%

A pitch black beer with a tan head. Pouring it is difficult. I use a small snifter and since this beer literally explodes with head I am unable to get all the stuff that oozes out of the bottle in the glass. Amazing, even with the bottle half empty the head still oozes from the bottle. Everything is sticky now.

Smells of dark fruits, huge raisin aroma. Slightly roasted but it is not very noticable in the aroma, strangely. Some choclate.
Lovely delicate berry, dark fruit aroma.

Taste then... I haven't had a stout in a while so this could be interesting.

Tastes sweetish. Notes of vanilla and oak. Some dark fruits and some roastiness. I have had this before and it was awesome. This one? I don't know. Could it be a bad bottle? Could it be that my taste has developed? I am quite sure of the latter.

As I get used to the taste: it starts out with a very nice dark fruity flavour. I has a big sweetness all the way and the underlying aroma's are only slighty coffee/chocolate-ish. Finishes with some roast, wood and such typical RIS flavours. Very complex yet not too difficult to drink. It is not fruity like the GD Christmas I had earlier today, this is much more complex with other difficult to describe aramo's intermixed. But it is all in balance though. A nice mix of fruits and char I'd say.

Mouthfeel is full and creamy, milky. Carbonation is low.

Overall a very well done brew. Not my favourite style of beer but you can wake me up for this one. It is just a shame I spilled probably 1/5 of the bottle... It is too expensive and rare for that.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

From bottle at Trappeze Pub in Athens, GA.

Part of my 30th Birthday Celebration thanks to longtime friend and newbie BA graphx3d

A: Nearly black pour with a huge brown head. A gorgeous stout.

S: Big RIS smell with very prominent Belgian notes. Roasted barley, coffee, chocolate & hints of dark fruit.

T: Extremely smooth. No alcohol taste at all, which is very impressive given the high ABV. The dark fruits come forward more in the mouth, but the RIS flavors still win out. Complex yet very approachable.

M: Nice and thick. Almost like whipped cream.

D: I shared this bottle with a friend, but I have no doubts that I could polish off a few of these, which could be quite dangerous at 13%.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

11.2 ounce bottle. Served in a snifter, the beer pours black with about an inch tan head. Head retention and lacing are both good. The aroma is good and strong, it smells like dark fruit (figs, raisins), Belgian yeast, apples, roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla and candy sugar. There's also a couple other things in the aroma I can't recognize. Very nice. Taste is similar to the aroma, it tastes like roasted malt, yeast, candy sugar, brandy, rum, licorice and chocolate. Mouthfeel/body is medium/full, it's rich, creamy, a bit slick and also has soft carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, it's very easy to drink considering the 13% ABV. The alcohol isn't too noticable at all. It's a fine example of an RIS with a Belgian twist to it. Because of the price it's not something I'd have around all the time, but I do like this beer a lot and I definitely recommend this.

11.2oz bottle - Batch #14 - served into a tulip glass

Pours really, really black. It sits heavy in the glass and looks every bit the Platonic form of the Imperial Stout. The head? Surprisingly large at two fingers of frothy, dark tan foam. But I guess the Belgian yeast has something to do with that. Lacing is nice and tight. Imperial Stouts in my experience have only looked better in two instances, both times a Boulevard Smokestack Series beer (the masterclass lineup in all of beerdom for appearance). You can't ask for anything more than this. NOTE: Black Albert bottles tend to have a LOT of sediment at the bottom. If that sediment gets into the glass then it won't look nearly as pretty The only reason I'm not scoring Black Albert a 5.0 is because of this.

Some people have said that this batch of Black Albert displays more prominent Quadrupel characteristics than it does RIS characteristics. I'm not sure if the balance is that skewed but you definitely get Quad aromas. This beer smells like the strange evolutionary link between Rochefort 10 and Ten FIDY. Blackberry or black currant fruits hit the nose first, with a nice char smell backing it up. Dark chocolate is undercut by acrid, grassy hops. Deep malt smells that turn to dark fruit on some whiffs, vinous notes on others. This is a lot like Boulevard's Dark Truth Stout, only way more astringent from hops.

Black Albert hits the tongue with immediately perceptible complexity. Dark-ass chocolate, black licorice, blackberry preserves, chocolate malted milkshake, alcohol sweetness, plums, the roast character of coffee but not the coffee bean taste, plastic, damp leaves - the flavors come in a long, steady stream. Lots of different kinds of sweetness but bolstered by the astringency and bitterness from its generous hop presence. This is balanced, yes - and incredibly complex.

The mouthfeel is very effective. It has a satisfying thickness to the body but it is not so thick that it clogs up the Belgian yeast fruitiness from carrying to all points of the tongue. This beer is 13% ABV; it doesn't really taste like it but it will get to you. The complexity makes for a beer that might be a little too much, even in the bottle size of 11.2oz. A Rogue XS series 7oz. bottle would be perfect for this beer.

Black Albert stands as one of the finest acheivements in beer that I've been able to try. Though I might just have a natural affinity for Belgian yeast in Imperial Stouts, judging by my review of Boulevard's Dark Truth Stout in relation to the rDev here on BeerAdvocate. Whatever the case may be, Black Albert is a beer that I will marvel at now and in the future. I see myself buying quite a few more of these. This is a treasure that you must seek out for yourself.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Thank you so much to johnmichaelsen for sharing this fabled brew with me.

A - Poured from a small bottle. Black as a stout on a moonless night, big light brown head ever so slowly dissipates.

S - Jarring, intense roasted smell with Belgian characterisitcs that I can't quite put my finger on.

T - Simply amazing. It seems as if every characteristic of a great stout is in here, and then some. My palate is not sophisticated to pick out each subtle flavors, but there are a lot of them in this brew. Simply the most complex stout I've ever tasted that hides the high alcohol very well.

M - Thick, sticky, robust, very chewy.

D - The high level of tastes and alcohol make this is areal sipping beer, so I can't give it super-high drinkability marks. However, it is superb.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

It pours a flat, thick liquid which has a delayed dense and creamy mocha colored head that stays throughout the beers time in my glass. Imperial stouts are always beautiful dark beers and this one is no exception.
Black Albert gives off a strong roasty aroma of cocoa, coffee, sherry, oak, and dark fruit notes of dried fig, however no raisin notes as I expect from many Imperial stouts.
The velvety smooth liquid pours over your taste buds and coats them with sweet chocolate followed by a maltiness that fades to a bitter coffee kick on the back. Very complex flavors throughout, most notably oak, sherry, powdered cocoa, fig and maybe dark sweet cherries although I am not well enough versed in horticulture or cherry varieties to pinpoint it.
The mouthfeel is creamy initially and then becomes oily and slick with some stick from residual sweetness.
It's decadent rich qualities, with the sweet and creamy flavors lend to the drinkability as a dessert beer. At 13% it is deceivingly easy to drink.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Thanks a ton from zrab1 for totally unexpectantly hooking this up. Your the man Zach and hit me up next time your in town. Cheers!

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a Darkness goblet on 7/22/11.

Pours a solid black with almost no light coming through at all except on the very outer edge of the glass. A huge frothy brown head dissipates leaving a moderate lacing that coats the glass. Perfect color and head. I would like slightly more lacing but it looks top notch.

Smell is roasted malts and dark fruit. Cocoa, figs, raisains, and some slight booze to round it out. Again a very good smell.

Taste is of roasted malt and chocolate up front and then tastes of dark fruit after that. Slight bittersweet aftertaste in the finish. Again top notch, right there with the best stouts. I would like a little more sweetness but its still great.

Mouthfeel is light in weight and it moves smooth through the pallet with no bitterness except at the very end in the aftertaste. I needs some more carbonation but is perfect other then that.

Overall this is one of the best stout in the world. I would like a little more sweetness as well as some carbonation but other then that it is near perfect.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Just about as handsome a 13% stout as they come, cappuccino bubbles that cascade down through a pitch-black body, rising up into a small but solid, long-lasting crop of dense foam. Massively weird and pungent aroma of milk chocolate and sherry, a funny twang of passion fruit, plus cherries, nougat, roasted almond, coconut, and blackcurrant. Caramel and coffee go without saying.

Big on fruit and chocolate – delectable. Tangy with cherry and blackcurrant, rich with espresso and port, savory with walnut and rye. Delightfully rich and powerful, yet somehow restrained and balanced. Oily and tight on the palate, a good mouthfeel to convey such a masterful harmony of darkness and light. An impressive, exemplary, and worryingly drinkable imperial stout.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

A: NOT jet black like it should be, but still pretty dark. When held to the light a significant part of it lets a brown/tan light penetrate. I'd rather see nothing from an RIS personally. There was a nice bit of lighter mocha head on the top. A pretty good looking beer unless held to the light really.

S: Nice caramel, brown sugar, molasses, and dark fruit aromas. There is also a nice brandy character but without the alcoholic aroma. A touch of yeast ester tops it off. It could have been stronger although once it coats the glass it is a bit more robust.

T: It is certainly a damn good beer. The intial flavor is a blast of rich coffee and dark chocolate with that brandy fruitiness popping up again. Great dark roasty notes throughout and finishing with a great clean, slightly bitter dark cocoa powder note. Full flavored from the time it touches my tongue through the aftertaste.

M: Nice and thick with great creaminess. Incredibly smooth and not a whisper of the ABV coming to say hi. Perfect body.

D: Very excellent all around. World class but still slightly over-hyped.

4.6/5  rDev +8.5%

Live review. Poured from 330ml bottle purchased at BelgianBeerShop.com into my clean, clear Great Lakes Christmas Ale goblet.

A Absolutely no light gets through this black oil body, even in front of direct light. Head is a beautiful, slow developing but huge, medium brown creamy head that sticks around for several minutes. Great lacing that lasts the life of the beer.

S Deep dark malt with a big smell of alcohol as well. The darkness of the malt is so much that even to the nose there is a bittnerness, like a dark chocolate bitterness.

T Wow...a dark dark malt in a smooth, sweet tasting beer with some bitterness derived not from any discernable hops but from the darkest of roasted malts. I really like the sweetness and despite the high ABV (the highest of any beer that I have rated to date) I really do not taste the alcohol like I probably should. There is a backdrop of alcohol somewhere in the aftertaste though.

M This is maybe the best part of this beer. I am suprised by how smooth this beer is given that several of the strong Russian Imperial Stouts that I have had featured an unwelcome sharpness it them. Make no mistake though, this is a huge, full beer.

D Well, with the huge ABV and even bigger tastes this is a one and done for me. I enjoyed every drop though so I will consider it good drinkability and very appropriate to style.

Notes: What a treat to have this huge beer done in such a masterful way.

4.61/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours black and viscous as motor oil with a thick and creamy hazel-colored foam.

The aromas are subtle with dried raisins, blackstrap molasses and fresh yeast. There is only a hint of roasted aromas, more so of chocolate and vanilla.

Mouthfeel is thick and creamy but not cloying. Considering the whopping 100 IBU, the hops are considerably restrained, mostly accentuating the intense cocoa nibs, vanilla and toffee flavors.

This is really a dessert in the glass, displaying a perfect balance between sweetness, hops and roasted barley. The finish is long, tenderly bitter and delicious.

Black Albert from De Struise Brouwers