Black Damnation V - Double Black | De Struise Brouwers

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers
struise.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

Added by alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

#362

4.42/5  rDev +0.2%

750 mL bottle shared by Dr. Abmuh. Boom.

Pours viscous and oily, black and soulless with a fleeting dark mocha head. Dense aroma of coffee, raisin, smoke, booze, and cocoa. Very interesting body that is simulatenously intensely robust and thick before the alcohol asserts itself and finishes not quite thin, but less oily and chewy than it starts (ed: wtf was that sentence, it makes no sense dude). Strong coffee flavor throughout, intensely roasty, with chocolate, faint hops, and just general robust "strength" (ed: again, with the saying crap that doesn't mean anything). A little more interesting than Black Tuesday (ed: I give up), and this was sampled with other "sippers" instead of stouts (Tenacious Cassis, Figgy Pudding, Divine Retribution, Batch 7000) and stood out among them. Very happy to try this, thanks for sharing Matt.

4.23/5  rDev -4.1%

750ml bottle split with friends and poured into a snifter. The "black as used motor oil" is generally over-used as an appropriate description. In this case, Black Damnation V lives up to that name and really is as black of a color you can possibly get and still be liquid. The brew pours with a very dark brown head that is creamy in texture and falls to a lacing atop the brew. When held to the light, the faintest amount of clarity is seen with a dark brown line all around the edge. Legs of alcohol coat the glass with every swirl that revives a finger of head back to the surface.

The smell is strong with oak and licorice. A significant amount of burnt grain and char fills the nose. A faint touch of sweet cocoa mixed with an herbal tinge of hops is present taking the smell of this brew off in another direction. The level of char to the grain imparts almost a charcoal and ashy feel to the nose that mixes with a fusel kick of alcohol. As the brew gets warmer, it takes in almost a bit of candy-like sweetness which is really a tease and strange in comparison to the rest of the character.

The taste is a strong contrast of sweet verse burnt ashy grain and licorice. Unsweetened bitter chocolate fills a lot of the flavor profile with a light smoked aspect that includes oak quality and almost a pete-smoke sort of flavor. The brew is a strange mixture of sweet verse char verse big burning alcohol inclusion. There is quite a depth of flavoring present which keeps me interested through the entire experience. It is to be noted how well the alcohol is integrated in flavor. However, anyone saying that the alcohol is completely hidden is full of shit. It's 26% alcohol, and it isn't hiding.

The brew is surprisingly full in the feel that absolutely coats the inside of the mouth. There is a modest level of carbonation present as well. It is a huge beer with bold everything about it including the alcohol. It is quite a warming beverage that needs to be shared in order to fully appreciate. I didn't happen to look to see of there was a best by date on this. Honestly, that would be laughable if there was. I can't wait to try this beer again...maybe in 30 years.

4.83/5  rDev +9.5%

100th Review
Bottle to snifter/Westvletren 12 (small) chalice

Big beer for a milestone review!

From notes - I've enjoyed this twice now and combined my notes from each occasion. I first enjoyed this as part of a Black Damnation horizontal tasting (15 September 2011) that showcased the base beers + all the variants thru that date. Thank you RuckusDu for sharing this beauty...I will return the favor when the time is right! My second experience with it was as part of the Utrecht tasting (11 December 2011) as a result of Jeffo and doopiedoopiedoo's generosity. Thanks guys...can't wait to return the favor!

A: Opaque black. Viscosity of oil. Single (mocha) fingernail head on gentle pour. Looks like a proper - and perfect - American Double Imperial Stout.

S: WOW! Very complex...roasted malt, dark chocolate, fig, vanilla, and molasses. Slight hint of coffee, but that is very subtle. The booze is noticeable, but not as over-powering as I had anticipated.

T: This one warms the soul for sure! Like the smell, very complex and deep. Booze straight away followed by dark chocolate and raisins up-front. Quick burst of vanilla, molasses, and oak towards the middle and finished with a well-rounded, robust, and thoroughly enjoyed espresso/bitter finish. The alcohol is definitely present all throughout, but I would never suspect it to be so high.

M: Full bodied with medium carbonation. Dangerously drinkable and extremely thick.

O: This stuff is amazing! A beer well worth the "price of admission" in my opinion and it should be shared with a large group of folks. So complex, so smooth, and just so perfectly executed. The richness and distinct balance of this beer amazes me and I am very blessed to have enjoyed it on two different occasions. I think it will age beautifully and look forward to opening my bottle at some point in the next 5-10 years. Standing ovation to De Struise for this beautiful beer!

4.3/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

At the time of this review, this is the #20 beer on the "Top Beers - American Double / Imperial Stout" list, served in a snifter.

Beer is oily, thick, thin dark brown head of small bubbles forms, low retention, no lacing, low carbonation. Interesting.

Aroma is sweet, coffee, strong, burning alcohol a little, intense.

To say this beer is thick is not a good descriptor, it is very interesting on the palate though, it is chewy thick on the front 2/3 of the palate and finishes rather thin. It is like the alcohol of the beer can't cut through the front so it waits for the finish. Moderate roast and bitterness on the finish. I personally can't drink a lot of this but it is a nice sipping beer.

4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Struise Black Damnation V Double Black
Bought at the Struise store in Brugge, Belgium on 12-28-2011

Appearance: very dark brown, no bubbles in syrup-like lacing, and a small dark head.

Smell: roasted chocolate, malty cocoa, and faint hops.

Taste: roasted malty rich dark chocolate, vanilla, and faint sweet hops.

Mouthfeel: thick, slightly heavy, yet very smooth.

Overall:
This is fantastic. It has wonderful flavor and the alcohol is unnoticeable. It is a must try for stout fans. 26% ABV is no joke.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle shared by TurdFurgison at DLD 2011. Thanks Eric!

The beer is black with a mocha head that hangs out for a brief period before leaving a bit of lacing on the snifter.

The aroma is big and potent, with scents of chocolate, raisins soaked in booze, coffee, oak, smoke, and more. Impressive.

I simply had no idea what the hell I was getting myself into. As someone said in an earlier review, Black Tuesday is for sunny afternoons by the pool. You think you've had stout milkshake before? Think again. Thick? This would be the star of the TV show "The Biggest Gainer". It's the subject of Stephen King's new novel, "Thicker". If Chuck Norris could be any stout in the world, he would be Black Damnation V, and beat the shit out of Black Tuesday just because he could. It's thick. Seriously (I think Black Tuesday is phenomenal, for the record. I am strictly referring to the full bodied feel on the palate).

The flavor brings a wealth of chocolate, roast and booze, with additional flavors of coffee, dark fruit, and syrup.

I really dug this beer. It may not be for everybody, but Urbain concocted a gem here. I never imagined I would enjoy a 26% abv beer so much.

January 5, 2012
Huge thanks to drabmuh for opening this. Split a few ways. It's nice to try this in a quieter, more sober setting.

When the beer is poured, it appears more viscous than any stout I have yet encountered. The aroma is wonderful, as I remembered. Alcohol is present, but amazingly unobtrusive. 26% ?!? Feels so smooth on the palate. A delightful beer to sip and savor.

4.19/5  rDev -5%

750 mL bottle poured into my CBS snifter. Thanks to Jcb890 for this bottle! Split three ways.

Appearance - I have never seen a blacker stout. Hunahpu is thick and black. This is blacker. None more black. Amazingly large head for 26%. By that I mean it's a one finger mocha head, but it lasts forever. The lacing is more due to the thickness than anything else, but it clings to the glass and stains it like no other stout.

Smell - Well, it's boozy. I get nothing else in the nose but booze. Nostril-burning booze. Maybe some roasted malts.

Taste - Dark roast extravaganza. It's like burnt chocolate, vanilla, and coffee. Black coffee in the finish. Really an amazing flavor. This is what I look for in stouts. The downside is that the alcohol overwhelms the finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and incredibly viscous. Slick and chewy. All the great things I love about stouts. And then there's the burn. Wow. I coughed after one of the initial sips. Even so, this is far easier to drink than Black Tuesday.

Overall - There's no other beer like this. An amazing feat that a brewer was able to make something this good at such a high ABV. The faults are blatantly because of the alcohol, but I give this a 5.0 overall because there's really nothing that can be done about it. It's 26% alcohol and it's delicious.

3.31/5  rDev -24.9%

Pours like 15-year-old used motor oil! Black! Little head once poured in the glass, which is dark brown in itself. Whoa was it thick! My tastemates all said it looked mean! (Ended up tasting mean, too!)

It burned on the lips, and kicked my ass! Do I shoot it or sip it??? The tastes are there...chocolate, caramel, coffee, even notes of cinnamon. The history is quite clear...the barrels keep the taste very potent but not overbearing. The first beer to warm my chest like my whiskey, it was awesome going down! An outstanding beer, I was extremely excited to be able to say I've tasted it. As it warms in the glass, the bite grows stronger.

Maybe this brew would be better appreciated by some experienced brewmasters, I thought it was a good beer but I can't justify rating it an A+ or 5, because I wouldn't buy a bottle again. Good, heavy content. Like my trip to the Grand Canyon, it's cool at first, but in the end, it's just another attraction based on hype that I don't fully understand. I rate my beer based on whether or not I'd drink or buy again, and I simply wouldn't do neither on this one. The two beers that ultimately create this beast are exquisite, but this monster wasn't for me.

4.5/5  rDev +2%

33 CL. Bottle pourned into snifter.

Pours completely black, and is extremely thick. Small head present chewing tobacco brown in color. This smells like heaven, boozey, vanilla, coffee, bitter chocolate, malts. The taste is just plain breath taking. Boozey heat, bitter chocolate , coffee, vanilla, molasses, dark fruits plum and fig, and a boozey heat finish. The mouthfeel is just fantastic , so thick and so much carbonation is present when swishing this liquid around. It leaves the tongue tingling after ever sip.

I tried the cuvee delphine a few days ago, and I had hyped it up so much in my mind and was let down. The process they put cuvee delphine through to create this beer is a gift from god. What they've created in this beer is unvelieveable. I hope to try this one again.

Thanks Mark for this one !

Black Damnation V - Double Black from De Struise Brouwers