Love Belgian Beer?

Black Damnation V - Double BlackBlack Damnation V - Double Black

De Struise Brouwers
Belgium | website

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

100% of Cuvée Delphine was used that was ice distilled to 26% of alcohol volume.

Added by alcstradamus on 03-14-2010

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last
Reviews: 112 | Ratings: 346
3.31/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours like 15-year-old used motor oil! Black! Little head once poured in the glass, which is dark brown in itself. Whoa was it thick! My tastemates all said it looked mean! (Ended up tasting mean, too!)

It burned on the lips, and kicked my ass! Do I shoot it or sip it??? The tastes are there...chocolate, caramel, coffee, even notes of cinnamon. The history is quite clear...the barrels keep the taste very potent but not overbearing. The first beer to warm my chest like my whiskey, it was awesome going down! An outstanding beer, I was extremely excited to be able to say I've tasted it. As it warms in the glass, the bite grows stronger.

Maybe this brew would be better appreciated by some experienced brewmasters, I thought it was a good beer but I can't justify rating it an A+ or 5, because I wouldn't buy a bottle again. Good, heavy content. Like my trip to the Grand Canyon, it's cool at first, but in the end, it's just another attraction based on hype that I don't fully understand. I rate my beer based on whether or not I'd drink or buy again, and I simply wouldn't do neither on this one. The two beers that ultimately create this beast are exquisite, but this monster wasn't for me.

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Start off with a huge thanks to Erik for this monstrosity, and then a giant thanks to De Struise for the perfect beer in my humble opinion. Split three ways, a little double black on black friday.

A- pours deceivingly like a normal fairly thick RIS, thin coffee colored head that fades after a few minutes

S- Smell is not as powerful as I suspected it would be, very roasty and some barrel followed by some molasses.

T- Phenomenal, this is the beer of my dreams. I get molasses and licorice with prunes, no alcohol to speak of just warmness down the throat. Very roasty and chocolatey...amazing

M- This is the thickest beer i have encountered, its like carbonated 90w gear oil.

O- F' ing A! this beer is the standard all others should be judged on. De Struise once again I tip my hat to you. Crazy beer I am very lucky to have tried this monster

4.5/5  rDev +3%

wow a 26% abv with a head on it, that is some amazing beer engineering. Thick dark black hole like color, strong roasted dark malt with coffee, hints of bourbon, and vanilla in the nose. Taste is all the greatness of the aroma and more, so much to dissect with this beer. High abv makes this a slow sipper and final beer of the night, but what a beer it is. So thankful that I ended the night at the Alvinne fest with this beer.
cheers
Cory

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer for my last beer at the Alvinne beer festival. I was curious to try it seeing as I'd never had a beer with a 26% abv before.

The beer was very dark, almost black in color and was thick almost looked like a dark maple syrup. There was a small amount of coffee colored head. The aroma was strong of malt, coffee, vanilla, and a bit of fruit (possibly cherries). The taste was interesting with multiple flavors going on. I only had a sample of this beer and it definitely left you wanting more.

4.88/5  rDev +11.7%

Shared with some friends for International Stout Day.

This is one of the RARE treats that we occasionally get to sample. I was lucky to be able to get in on this purchase with a friend.

Pop the cork and watch out! Pour is like 10W-40, thick and BLACK. Minimal head and lacing.. Not as much alochol on the nose as expected, coffee, toffee caramel and roasted malts come out in droves. Swill and examine...boy this is one black beautiful brew. At first taste is sweet and sticky, how did they manage to hide this HUGE 26% Monster so well? Mouthfeel is thick and balanced. Not over the top, but balanced, slightly sweet with a nice dry finish. Leaves your lips covered in stickiness like caramel candy. Goes down smooth Slight booziness lingers, but that is to be expected from a beer this BIG. All in all I couldn't believe that this beer was as good as it is. Just such balance of the extremes. It amazes me how awesome this beer is. If you get a chance, please do yourself a favor and try this bad boy! Cheers!

4.42/5  rDev +1.1%

Oh man, what a pleasant surprise for some early afternoon drinking. Bye bye hangover!

A: Four ounce tasting glass looks like it was filled with watered down molasses. Straight black and very full looking. Nice little mocha cap on top.

S: Lots of sweet roasted malts along with some deep dark chocolate. Some definite soy sauce, but its in check thankfully. This does not smell like its 26%, I've had regular stouts that have way more booze coming out of them.

T: Burnt edge of brownies, bitter chocolate, some sweet dark fruit hydrated in booze. With that said, it doesn't taste nearly as hot as I was expecting. Soy can again be found once it warms, but it doesn't ruin it for me.

M: Hard to find much carbonation in such a full bodied viscous substance. Nice roasted aftertaste.

O: Damn, gotta hand it too De Struise, this works much better than I expected. Might be the best variation of Black Albert I've had and that is definitely saying something. If I had a 750 ml of this I'd definitely share it with someone....but I'd probably keep hoping I could get more than them.

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to Turdferguson for graciously sharing this amongst the Wildthings at DLD.

A nice 3 oz pour into a mini FFF that left me wanting more yet glad at the end of the day I probably didn't have more of this brute. Revealed a thick dark black as night pour. Ample sized head that remained for a bit with slight lacing even on a small glass. I immediately smelled some Chocolate, dark fruits, slight smokiness and some booze. Similar tastes of thick chocolate, coffee smoky dark fruits and a bit of booze without a burn on the tongue.

Double black yields a Moderately carbonated yet thick and enjoyable mouthfeel.Fantastic and very surprised at how mellow this high abv iced treat is. Dangerously drinkable and can do some damage if not sipped or enjoyed amongst others.

4.24/5  rDev -3%

Poured into snifter from bottle.

Appearance: This is a black hole. It absorbs everything. It's jet black, can't see through it at all. Mocha head. Good retention and ridiculous lacing. It literally stains the glass. You have to soak the glass so that it's easier to wash the next day.

Smell: Very boozy. It's not like it's a 26% beer or anything. I can't pick up any other aromas.

Taste: Flavors are much better than the smell. A lot of dark chocolate, toasted, roasted malts, coffee, some vanilla. Overall amazing flavor that would be perfect if it wasn't for the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Thick. Syrupy. Difficult to drink at times.

Overall: I surprisingly still like it regardless of how much I didn't enjoy the alcohol. Its complexity is intriguing. I would definitely have this beer again. Very good stout.

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

On-tap at the Struise Old School. Simply put, this is the best beer I have had to date. Do I refer to how this beast doesn't seem like the high abv it is or as a fantastic stout? It doesn't drink like a 26% beer. It is carbonated with a lasting head. The booz doesn't beat you over the head. The bourbon is in there but not overpowering. Everything just comes together nicely. Glad I bought these; I can't imagine ever parting with my remaining bottles.

33 CL. Bottle pourned into snifter.

Pours completely black, and is extremely thick. Small head present chewing tobacco brown in color. This smells like heaven, boozey, vanilla, coffee, bitter chocolate, malts. The taste is just plain breath taking. Boozey heat, bitter chocolate , coffee, vanilla, molasses, dark fruits plum and fig, and a boozey heat finish. The mouthfeel is just fantastic , so thick and so much carbonation is present when swishing this liquid around. It leaves the tongue tingling after ever sip.

I tried the cuvee delphine a few days ago, and I had hyped it up so much in my mind and was let down. The process they put cuvee delphine through to create this beer is a gift from god. What they've created in this beer is unvelieveable. I hope to try this one again.

Thanks Mark for this one !

4.92/5  rDev +12.6%

Yeah, I managed to get some bottles of this black gold, thanks struise for the perfect shipping! Pours a deep black color, the beer is very oily in the glass, it almost sticks to the sides. Taste: the beer is indeed a concentrated version of cuvee delphine. roasted malts, with hints of concentrated coffee, chocolate, bourbon, vanilla and much more, so complex. Taste is sirupy like and very rich in the mouth. Sensations of coffee, chocolate, smooth alcohol, vanilla, rich burned malts and honey and bourbon again. One of the best beers I ever had, with great aging potential

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle shared with friends (tasting notes from memory, don't usually do this but it's fairly seared in there).

A - saying this is the most viscous and sticky pour you can imagine wouldn't do this justice. It pours like engine oil. Jet black with a slowly rising tan head. Gorgeous.

Aroma - sticky dates and raisins, dark chocolate, a stemmy woodiness from the bourbon, and a hint of ashy tar to balance out the sweetness.

T - shows amazing finesse for such a huge beer, big sweet dark fruit and chocolate character dominates upfront, the barrel aging shows with more sugary sweetness. There's also a subtle spice, soft alcohol warmth and gentle tar roast in there which stops it getting too sickly sweet. Fantastic extrapolation/amplification of Black Albert.

M - the fact that it literally dried like sugar syrup on the outside of the bottle gives some indication of how thick and sticky it is. Super decadent, very similar mouthfeel to PX sherry.

O - memorable and extremely well executed. Intensity and sweetness make it definitely best enjoyed with friends.

firstprev| 51-75 | 76-100 | 101-125  | next → last