Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by MasterSki on 03-14-2010

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

750mL bottle from baggio. I first tried this at DLD 2010 courtesy of Masterski (thanks Alex), and now I've got an entire 750 to myself.

The beer pours a dark russet brown color, nearly opaque, with a huge tan foam and sheets of lacing. The nose is less wild from this bottle than the one I tried at DLD. I remember significantly more bret character from that one. This current bottle smells more quad-like, smoke and dark fruits and a little medicinal aroma too. It tastes a lot like the standard Pannepot, and I'm wondering if Struise made more than one batch of this stuff. From DLD I remember mild wild flavors that were well balanced with the dark fruit. In this bottle the dark fruits are nearly everything I taste, plums, raisins, dates and such. The medicinal / cough syrup qualities come through a little too, reminiscent of Carolus beers.

I think this is a good beer but not quite great. If there were more bret involved that might have changed things for the better, but who knows? It's an interesting experiment.

3.61/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Opened at TN whales tasting 3/16/2013. Thanks to Andy for opening this.

Body is a dark woody brown with islands of coffee colored head.

Tangy funk on the nose, bananas, candied apple, brown sugar, hints of tartness and funk.

Taste is pretty odd, bananas and sugary malt as you'd expect, apple, but also mild funk and hints of vinegar and brett. A bit of cardboard flavor too.

Mouthfeel is a little thin, not terrible but it seems like the bug didn't operate entirely according to plan.

This is a good beer but odd, tastes like a great and complex quad with just a touch of sour and funk. Doesn't taste infected exactly, but there are two different things going on and they're not very well integrated. Still enjoyable but not what it was intended to be I would guess.

7.3/10

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%

Big Poppy brought this one to Slosh Fest 2015 a couple weeks ago. Good times gents! Apparently this is infected Pannepot that they labeled as "wild." Clever. Pretty hard to score a mistake but we'll do the best we can here.

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Gushed upon opening. Luckily we did it near the sink. Pours a 3 finger medium-looser tan head with great retention. Deep sienna brown in color, opaque, with medium carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a ring only and leaves no real lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Tart cherry, dark fruit, plumbs and raisins, some spicy notes with caramel and brown sugar. Definitely tart but the pannepot base quad is still there. Actually rather surprisingly well put together.

TASTE: Tart cherry, dark fruit, raisins, and apple notes up front. Lots of green apple and sourness into the swallow with a bold and lingering finish of more tart cherries, dark fruit, plumbs and raisins, some brown sugar and spicy notes, with green apples and alcohol for sure. Actually pretty nice, though the green apples do come across slightly plastic-like.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down a bit prickly and finishes somewhat sticky. Some heat and tartness linger.

OVERALL: I think it would be challenging enough to do this on purpose, so I can see why there's never been a batch two. Seriously lucky shot in the dark here. This worked out surprisingly well, as the infection has added a layer of tart cherry sourness but hasn't eaten away everything that makes regular Pannepot such an enjoyable quad. Maybe my extremely low expectations going into it also affected my experience in a positive way. In any case, I would definitely take the non-infected version of this beer nine times out of then, but this is a fun mistake I was very happy to have a shot at. If you ever get a chance to try this one, dive in with an open mind. Thanks again Poppy!

3.7/5  rDev -10.2%

Thanks to Olga for this birthday present. 2008 batch, 75cl bottle into my Narke tulp...Pours like a regular pannepot, dark brown, lighter brown on the edges. A slight gusher when first opened, didn't explode but have a glass ready. The head only rises about two fingers, ok retention and lacing...The aroma is pretty light, expected a bit more. Oak, red wine, and vinegar on the front, missing a lot of the malty goodness that I really like in the original. Light spice in the middle...The taste again is not at all what was expected. Its more oak and woody vinegar than anything with alcohol. All quad characteristics are gone, I'm missing some of the sweet dark fruits or sugar. The finish is lots of alcohol and oak, a little sugar...The feel is full and viscous... A little tough to drink as I am just not feeling it totally.

A rare one that doesn't meet the hype. An interesting style but don't give up much to get this. This reminds me of an infected beer that is now sour, i.e. Rurik.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.79/5  rDev -8%

On tap at Ebenezer's.

Pours a very cloudy, muddy brown color with a small tan head that lasts.

Aroma is very vinegary. Besides that, all the notes you get in Pannepot are present: dark fruits, raisin and fig especially, caramel, toffee, molasses, and brown sugar.

Flavor is both sweet and slightly tart. Tastes a bit like a good fruitcake mixed with balsamic vinegar. The base beer also adds sweet caramel and toffee notes, oak, and spiciness.

Thick and syrupy on the palate; full-bodied with low carbonation.

Very interesting beer overall. I'm glad to have tried this one.

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

Bought this bottle a long time ago in the struise webshop.
Look: pours hazy dark brown color with a light brown head.
Smell: Light sourness, wine and funk, dark fruits (Plums, raisins), candy sugar, cloves and alcohol. A bit lighter in smell than the regular
Taste: Red grapes, light funk, light vinegar, dark fruits, molasses, but also spicy (pepper, clove), vanilla and a bit alcohol hop bitterness in the aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation and medium body
Overall: Nice brew, but prefer the non infected version

3.83/5  rDev -7%

On tap at Ebenezer's the weekend of Night of the Funk 2010.

Pours a very dark brown into a nice Belgian chalice. Good off white head with really nice retention and some pretty good lacing. The nose brings some light notes of sourness and funk, although they're not terribly present. While nice, the side effect is that much of the really great notes of the original version are covered up.

The taste does a better job of integrating everything, though the great yeasty esters and complex malt don't stand out as much as I would like. The feel represents this well, as the slight funk doesn't mesh all that well with the remaining components of the beer. Overall, almost a lighter version of Pannepot that has gotten just a bit of an infection.

I'm really excited that I got to try this, although in the end it was a bit of a disappointment.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Cola colored, off white head with  small bubbles

S - candied sugar, dark fruits, slightly bready.

T - A bit like the nose. Bready, dark fruits, sweet.  Smallest amount of tart/ sour notes in finish.

M - Medium, smooth.

O - Not my favorite of the pannepot variations but very good.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Henry for knocking another one of my wants off at the tasting. A tough thing to do...

A: The beer exploded out of the bottle and when it finally made it into the glass, we see a chestnut color with a quickly receding khaki head.

S: There's a bit of an herbal note as I first smell the beer and it's quite heavy on the roast as well (for a quad, anyway). The wildness soon shows itself and there is an intense red wine aroma. Yet, it's still very sweet.

T: This sounds strange, but this tastes a lot like Manischewitz, or maybe a grape Jello shot. Sweet red grapes dominate and there's a definite alcohol flavor on the back end. I get a fair amount of roast and just a small amount of oak.

M: The body is medium to full with a surprisingly moderate level of carbonation.

D: Perhaps a little boozy to be all that drinkable, but still quite nice. I liked all the wine character, but I could see it becoming overwhelming with any considerable amount consumed.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark chestnut with frothy cap of brown head. Scent is deep and complex with notes of fig, prune, raisin, fruit and port wine, solid notes of dry wood with a sourness is more akin to vatted cask aging than a full on brett onslaught. Taste begins with the big bold notes of dark fruit meshed with a hint of mulled wine, oak precedes a light sour funk that masks a little of the developing quad notes. Medium bodied, light carbonation. Overall, the original is cut an excellent beer that the light bits of brett really don't help too much, it actually masks the complexity.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

This one I was very excited for and am greatful to have gotten the chance to try it. Pours a muddy, murky brown with a thin tan head that lasted throughout the beer. It smelled of Bretty funk and musty grapes, dark fruit, toffee, and a bit of booze. The taste was quite similar a bit more in the way of the dark fruit and brown sugar realm and less so of the funky musty flavors. A bit of acidity, but just a touch. Also there was a hint of a Metalic taste some warming alcohol at the end. There was a nice medium bodied feel to it and slightyl less carbonation than I was expecting but thought that was a good thing. In the end I thought of it like some sort of a Pannepot/Orval hybrid. I could certainly drink a few more if I ever got the chance.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights and just a tiny showing of thin white head.

Aroma is similar to reserva, fruity sweetness suggesting figs and raisins mixed in with some hints of spice. Wild aspect adds a bit of a funky amonia character but without the tyipcal potency of sours.

Taste is rather sweet and fruity and does have a strong a phenolic spice character as reserva had. Not much of a woody character but a definite sour flavor sets this apart from the other Pannepots. Still though, I'm not sure the funk adds much to what is an already great tasting quad.

Mouthfeel is crisp and a bit try but not quite as puckering as I would have expected. Overall, an interseting twist on the quad but I still prefer Reserva.

Pannepot Wild from De Struise Brouwers