Pannepot Wild | De Struise Brouwers

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by MasterSki on 03-14-2010

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Henry for knocking another one of my wants off at the tasting. A tough thing to do...

A: The beer exploded out of the bottle and when it finally made it into the glass, we see a chestnut color with a quickly receding khaki head.

S: There's a bit of an herbal note as I first smell the beer and it's quite heavy on the roast as well (for a quad, anyway). The wildness soon shows itself and there is an intense red wine aroma. Yet, it's still very sweet.

T: This sounds strange, but this tastes a lot like Manischewitz, or maybe a grape Jello shot. Sweet red grapes dominate and there's a definite alcohol flavor on the back end. I get a fair amount of roast and just a small amount of oak.

M: The body is medium to full with a surprisingly moderate level of carbonation.

D: Perhaps a little boozy to be all that drinkable, but still quite nice. I liked all the wine character, but I could see it becoming overwhelming with any considerable amount consumed.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark chestnut with frothy cap of brown head. Scent is deep and complex with notes of fig, prune, raisin, fruit and port wine, solid notes of dry wood with a sourness is more akin to vatted cask aging than a full on brett onslaught. Taste begins with the big bold notes of dark fruit meshed with a hint of mulled wine, oak precedes a light sour funk that masks a little of the developing quad notes. Medium bodied, light carbonation. Overall, the original is cut an excellent beer that the light bits of brett really don't help too much, it actually masks the complexity.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

This one I was very excited for and am greatful to have gotten the chance to try it. Pours a muddy, murky brown with a thin tan head that lasted throughout the beer. It smelled of Bretty funk and musty grapes, dark fruit, toffee, and a bit of booze. The taste was quite similar a bit more in the way of the dark fruit and brown sugar realm and less so of the funky musty flavors. A bit of acidity, but just a touch. Also there was a hint of a Metalic taste some warming alcohol at the end. There was a nice medium bodied feel to it and slightyl less carbonation than I was expecting but thought that was a good thing. In the end I thought of it like some sort of a Pannepot/Orval hybrid. I could certainly drink a few more if I ever got the chance.

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights and just a tiny showing of thin white head.

Aroma is similar to reserva, fruity sweetness suggesting figs and raisins mixed in with some hints of spice. Wild aspect adds a bit of a funky amonia character but without the tyipcal potency of sours.

Taste is rather sweet and fruity and does have a strong a phenolic spice character as reserva had. Not much of a woody character but a definite sour flavor sets this apart from the other Pannepots. Still though, I'm not sure the funk adds much to what is an already great tasting quad.

Mouthfeel is crisp and a bit try but not quite as puckering as I would have expected. Overall, an interseting twist on the quad but I still prefer Reserva.

4.08/5  rDev -1%

2008 Bottle; Sampled June 2010
Interesting, the beer has a light pellicle on it in the bottle, so is obviously still actively fermenting. Oh well, I am going to cut that short by opening this today. I decided to serve this just lightly chilled, perhaps in the mid 60s. A soft pour produces almost a finger of darkly browned, dark-tan colored froth. The beer is a concentrated, dark brown-plum color that shows a clearish, dark plum hue when held up to the light. Interesting, the aroma smells of overly ripe cheese that is not quite rancid, though a rich plum like fruitiness is perhaps a stronger influence on the nose. Some alcohol contributes to a warming sensation in my nose and this mixes with some fruity acetate type aromas. Richer notes of molasses, dates and prunes as well as some lightly toasted dark grain all remind me of a dark, rum soaked holiday cake or even fruit-cake. The ripe cheese note along with the acetate definitely is the most noticeable part of the aroma (it sort of reminds me of rotting fruit), but it is not so strong as to be objectionable and there is just enough other things going on here that the nose is fairly enjoyable.

Lightly sweet tasting up front, the beer has a richness to it through the middle and actually feels quite a bit lighter than one might expect from a beer of this strength. Still there is a lot of viscosity to this brew and the palate gets coated well enough that a rich, dark malt character lingers on after each sip. A healthy carbonation helps to make this beer more drinkable; though despite all this the beer is most definitely a sipping beer. The ripe cheese quality is more reduced than it is in the aroma, but the rotting, though really more fermenting, fruit character seems to be a bit more noticeable. Flavors of concentrated plum (though not quite prune), fig, some date like notes and fermenting raisin are each present and are accentuated by a light tartness. Malt / dark sugar flavors are also found here with notes of molasses, sweet rum, rich almost umami like concentrated malt flavors, light toasted grain flavors that have been soaked in brown sugar add to the general richness here. Some nail-polish like flavors as well as higher alcohols add a warming, almost heat to the finish.

This is actually quite vinous in character, though admittedly in a foxed sort of way; the aroma starts to pick up notes of Concord grapes as does the flavor. Really though there is a soft oak character here (that contributes a touch of oak-spiciness, hints of buttery richness, and a soft wood character) as well as a berry-like wine character, and flavors that I just can't quite put my finger on, but most definitely make me think of a complex red wine.

This manages to be quite rich and decadent, but without having a heavy body; the wild process has definitely dried out the base beer here. This ends up much more enjoyable than it started out as, but still falls short of that brilliantl 2006 batch of Pannepot that I finally polished-off my last bottle of recently. I really like the texture that this beer achieves, rich without being overly heavy, or anywhere near cloying actually. While the acetate, touch of acetone, and higher alcohol heat is always present, it isn't at such a level that I can't enjoy this beer; without it and with more sourness, this beer would be thoroughly brilliant. As it is I'll have to settle for the subtle oak, signature wine influence and rich Pannepot flavors, something I am perfectly happy to do.

Pannepot Wild from De Struise Brouwers