Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Pannepot Wild | De Struise Brouwers

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by MasterSki on 03-14-2010

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

750mL bottle from baggio. I first tried this at DLD 2010 courtesy of Masterski (thanks Alex), and now I've got an entire 750 to myself.

The beer pours a dark russet brown color, nearly opaque, with a huge tan foam and sheets of lacing. The nose is less wild from this bottle than the one I tried at DLD. I remember significantly more bret character from that one. This current bottle smells more quad-like, smoke and dark fruits and a little medicinal aroma too. It tastes a lot like the standard Pannepot, and I'm wondering if Struise made more than one batch of this stuff. From DLD I remember mild wild flavors that were well balanced with the dark fruit. In this bottle the dark fruits are nearly everything I taste, plums, raisins, dates and such. The medicinal / cough syrup qualities come through a little too, reminiscent of Carolus beers.

I think this is a good beer but not quite great. If there were more bret involved that might have changed things for the better, but who knows? It's an interesting experiment.

3.58/5  rDev -13.1%

WW5 bottle from Avalon68. Cheers!

A - Well, right out of the gate this thing just exploded, which was pretty surprising. Rusty brown colored beer with a foamy beige head from the explosion.

S - I'm not totally thrille with this. I've love the regular version of this beer, as something that is a very nice quad. This loses a bit of its quad nature to some of the funk an sourness. It smells good, but I prefer the regular.

T - Sweeter, with some grapes and vinous influence on a quad. There are some dark fruits, oak. Can pick up a little bit of roast on this one even.

M - Full bodied with some pretty active carbonation. Also, it exploded.

O - An interesting beer, I liked it, but I thought it actually takes away from the good quad nature that Pannepot usually has. Glad to have tried it.

3.64/5  rDev -11.7%

Big Poppy brought this one to Slosh Fest 2015 a couple weeks ago. Good times gents! Apparently this is infected Pannepot that they labeled as "wild." Clever. Pretty hard to score a mistake but we'll do the best we can here.

From a 750 into a snifter

APPEARANCE: Gushed upon opening. Luckily we did it near the sink. Pours a 3 finger medium-looser tan head with great retention. Deep sienna brown in color, opaque, with medium carbonation evident. Head slowly fades to a ring only and leaves no real lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Tart cherry, dark fruit, plumbs and raisins, some spicy notes with caramel and brown sugar. Definitely tart but the pannepot base quad is still there. Actually rather surprisingly well put together.

TASTE: Tart cherry, dark fruit, raisins, and apple notes up front. Lots of green apple and sourness into the swallow with a bold and lingering finish of more tart cherries, dark fruit, plumbs and raisins, some brown sugar and spicy notes, with green apples and alcohol for sure. Actually pretty nice, though the green apples do come across slightly plastic-like.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy enough on the palate, goes down a bit prickly and finishes somewhat sticky. Some heat and tartness linger.

OVERALL: I think it would be challenging enough to do this on purpose, so I can see why there's never been a batch two. Seriously lucky shot in the dark here. This worked out surprisingly well, as the infection has added a layer of tart cherry sourness but hasn't eaten away everything that makes regular Pannepot such an enjoyable quad. Maybe my extremely low expectations going into it also affected my experience in a positive way. In any case, I would definitely take the non-infected version of this beer nine times out of then, but this is a fun mistake I was very happy to have a shot at. If you ever get a chance to try this one, dive in with an open mind. Thanks again Poppy!

3.5/5  rDev -15%

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at Ebenezer's 2/13/11:

A: Dark brown, opaque, 1 inch off-white frothy head that slowly dissipates. Leaves decent lacing.

S: Plums, raisins, dates, grapes, sour, and funk.

T/M: Taste is much like the Reserva, but with much more port qualities and Brett. Lots of dark fruits, grapes, red wine, Belgian yeast, oak/vanilla. The Brett adds a touch of tartness and funk, but plays a complimentary role, not taking over the brew. The carbonation was fairly light and the body not quite as viscous as I remembered the Reserva. It was, however, velvety smooth, maybe the smoothest beer I've yet had. Alcohol presented some nice esters and wasn't overpowering. The level of complexity is pretty astounding and the flavors all lingered on through the dry, port finish. Fantastic.

This didn't seem as hot as the Reserva and went down way to easy.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at Ebenezer's into a tulip.

A: Opaque dark brown body under a finger of fine light-brown foam. Nice.

S: Spicy, chocolatey, and grassy. Dark fruits, a bit of barnyard, and some light tartness. Very nice, hugely complex.

T: A wild explosion of flavors: brown sugar, prunes, grass, flowers, clove, pepper, grapes, Brett, and a rich maple sweetness on the lightly boozy finish. Intoxicating in every sense of the word.

M: Frothy, thick, and sticky. In a word, big.

O: I was a bit underwhelmed by this one at first (especially given its $14 price tag), but as it warmed the aroma and flavor both opened up magnificently. I'd really like to try it side-by-side with regular Pannepot someday to see exactly how big of a difference the Brett makes; I'm not entirely sure that the influx of grassiness and faint tartness is really an improvement over the spectacular base, but it was still one hell of a beer.

Cheers!

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like.

4.3/5  rDev +4.4%

Half pour, served in a wine glass.

Dark brown hazy with a nice tan head that dispersed slowly and left a little lacing.

Dried cherry, unsweetened chocolate, acai, some funkiness, spice and light alcohol.

Dried fruit and chocolate in the front, molasses in the middle, tart and funky with slick finish.

Not as good as the as the Reserva but it was pretty good.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

On-tap at Ebenezer's Pub and Lion's Pride. Served in tulip, over and over. Had this one a lot...like maybe 7 times between the two spots.

A - Pours black brown, large frothy tan head, sticky lacing, large cap. This one was very frothy, sticky, and dark. Purty.

S - Nice bretty funk, brown sugar, dark fruit, burnt sugars. The brett adds another dimension onto an already stellar Quad. Really enjoyed the slight funk on this one mixed with the sugars and dark fruits.

T - More dark fruit forward then the nose, burnt sugars, molasses, chocolate, oak, brett funk, raisins. The brett is still there, but takes a back seat to the base beer on the palate, which is totally cool with me.

M - Body is medium, good carbonation, creamy finish.

O - I really really (really) enjoyed this one....at $14 a pop, it was expensive, but I was on vacation and I didn't give a shit. Chris even gave me a free one before we headed out. Glad the fiance drove back! Simply outstanding on-tap, you must try it at either establishment!

Edit: I had this from 3 different kegs and didn't experience any sour or tart notes, as others have noted.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Brown edged black without any retention or lace. Looks like flat root beer.

Dark and roasty with caramel and chocolate covered cherry. Makes me think of all sorts of nightime sexy words like alluring, seductive and indulgent.

Tastes as indulgent as it smells. I can pick out fig, caramel, and dark bread crust. The Brett is very light handed, adding only a little green grape peel hiccup in the middle. Better and better as it warms.

The Brett doesn't really do too much and I think I like plain ol' Pannepot better.

3.03/5  rDev -26.5%

Huge thanks to Jerz for hosting an awesome tasting, and for so many generous beer connoisseurs who made the event possible.

I guess first, let me say that I don't get the idea of souring a quad. All that complex effort to get a bunch of ingredients to meld into a quad-whole, and then you wild it? Hmmm.... okay, let's see how it is.

Oddly dark pour. Light tan crust with nor real bubbling.

Smells like fetid, slightly gone-bad yeast and muted earth funk. Some breaded malt. Wish there was more breaded malt to the aroma and less swampy funk.

Taste is almost like a, I hate to say it, slightly infected quad. It's like, it didn't go completely sour, but it's also most definitely not quad-like anymore. Some weird sherried dirt with some earth funk, a bit of quad yeast and bread with sweet dappled brown sugar, but it just doesn't come together. On the aftertaste, dark fruit. Dark fruit that's struggling to live.

3.79/5  rDev -8%

On tap at Ebenezer's.

Pours a very cloudy, muddy brown color with a small tan head that lasts.

Aroma is very vinegary. Besides that, all the notes you get in Pannepot are present: dark fruits, raisin and fig especially, caramel, toffee, molasses, and brown sugar.

Flavor is both sweet and slightly tart. Tastes a bit like a good fruitcake mixed with balsamic vinegar. The base beer also adds sweet caramel and toffee notes, oak, and spiciness.

Thick and syrupy on the palate; full-bodied with low carbonation.

Very interesting beer overall. I'm glad to have tried this one.

4.15/5  rDev +0.7%

First beer of the day at Ebenezer's last weekend. Had a small taste of this at a previous Ebenezer's venture but got a proper pour this time and enjoyed it much more.

Poured into an Ebenezer's glass looking much like the other Pannepi. Dark brown body with a beige head that retains quite well, eventually reducing down a partial cap near the end. A bit of lace left.

Bretty funkiness is prominent in the scent, but the intense chocolate/yeast/dark fruit of the base beer shine through and meld well.

Like the scent, a good balance and melding of flavors. Has all the yeast, dark cherries, red wine notes, chocolate and leather of Pannepot, with a good dose of brett, light fruity notes and oak brought on by the Wild.

Very smooth mouthfeel, exceptionally drinkable and light for 10%.

Quite a complex beast, easy drinking, could've easily drank 2 glasses of this. 2006 Pannepot still regins supreme in my eyes but this was one of the better variations I've had.

4.6/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Up for review is a 750ml bottle of Pannepot Wild. Poured into a snifter at cellar temp. Not a gusher. Great color as usual, nice head. Bretty funk over Pannepot. Was expecting this to be more sour. Medium body, well carbonated. Will be interesting to se how this ages.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

10oz served in a chalice at the Lion's Pride, served at room temperature. Not sure how long it'll be there so get to it if you haven't! (Bit pricey though).

Pours a deep deep amber color with a huge fluffy looking head, leaves some patchy lacing along the glass, the head although very puffy settles down into a very light cap.

Smell has a huge aroma of dark fruit and sweetness, huge amounts of cherry and raisins, it's not overly cloying on the nose either since I could smell this beer all night long.

Taste has a medium to low carbonation (leaning towards the lower end), the dark fruit presence really takes the cake over any of the other spices, the cherry and raisin taste is quite divine, it is rather sweet but it isn't overly sticky or syrupy, the sweetness does a good job of masking the strength and any astringency it might have, definitely has a bit of a funk to it but it's more of an after thought so don't expect any huge sourness out of it.

Quite an interesting take on the quad, one of the better dark fruit presences I've had and the light funkness really makes it stand out. Personally, I prefer this version of Pannepot over any of the other versions I've tried.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

I had this beer at the CBC festival in Kopenhagen in may this year. The Struise brewers were there with 30 beers on tap. What a success they had. Poured in the CBC snifter.

The Pannepot wild was on my want list for quit a time. Very tasty quad with a bit of sourness because of the wild yeasts. Nice dark fluid and a fairly decent head.

4.5/5  rDev +9.2%

4.55/5  rDev +10.4%

On tap at Lions Pride poured into a wine glass.

Pours a dark brown - just like the other versions, it has a small brown head and some tiny lacing but it's subtle. Nose is fairly mild, there is some funk but don't think Cantillon or 3F.

Taste is perfection, I think I've had all the versions of Pannepot but this is clearly the top version, the alcohol is mellowed out bythe funk, it isn't too sweet but it's still complex and nutty.

At $14 a glass its not something I'd have often but it is fantastic!

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%