Pannepot Wild | De Struise Brouwers

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by MasterSki on 03-14-2010

3.97/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a dark mahogany color with ruby red highlights and just a tiny showing of thin white head.

Aroma is similar to reserva, fruity sweetness suggesting figs and raisins mixed in with some hints of spice. Wild aspect adds a bit of a funky amonia character but without the tyipcal potency of sours.

Taste is rather sweet and fruity and does have a strong a phenolic spice character as reserva had. Not much of a woody character but a definite sour flavor sets this apart from the other Pannepots. Still though, I'm not sure the funk adds much to what is an already great tasting quad.

Mouthfeel is crisp and a bit try but not quite as puckering as I would have expected. Overall, an interseting twist on the quad but I still prefer Reserva.

3.94/5  rDev -4.4%

This one I was very excited for and am greatful to have gotten the chance to try it. Pours a muddy, murky brown with a thin tan head that lasted throughout the beer. It smelled of Bretty funk and musty grapes, dark fruit, toffee, and a bit of booze. The taste was quite similar a bit more in the way of the dark fruit and brown sugar realm and less so of the funky musty flavors. A bit of acidity, but just a touch. Also there was a hint of a Metalic taste some warming alcohol at the end. There was a nice medium bodied feel to it and slightyl less carbonation than I was expecting but thought that was a good thing. In the end I thought of it like some sort of a Pannepot/Orval hybrid. I could certainly drink a few more if I ever got the chance.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark chestnut with frothy cap of brown head. Scent is deep and complex with notes of fig, prune, raisin, fruit and port wine, solid notes of dry wood with a sourness is more akin to vatted cask aging than a full on brett onslaught. Taste begins with the big bold notes of dark fruit meshed with a hint of mulled wine, oak precedes a light sour funk that masks a little of the developing quad notes. Medium bodied, light carbonation. Overall, the original is cut an excellent beer that the light bits of brett really don't help too much, it actually masks the complexity.

3.92/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Ebenezer's Pub in September.

I was excited to get a chance to try this rarity on draft. I had heard rumors that this batch was "undrinkable" when first kegged but was mellowing out week by week and evolving into something special. My understanding is this is regular Pannepot with brett yeast - seems simple enough.

Nose was Pannepot-esque, but leaning toward cola. Lots of carbonation with the intial pour, but it settled out before long. I thought the taste was good, but I have to say regular Pannepot is more my thing. A lot of the unique dark fruit, dark chocolate notes seemed masked by the brett. With the brett constantly changing this beer, I may have missed the "high point" of this batch that others raved about during the summer, but I'm glad I got to try this. I can still say I have never met a Struise beer I didn't like.

3.9/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks to Henry for knocking another one of my wants off at the tasting. A tough thing to do...

A: The beer exploded out of the bottle and when it finally made it into the glass, we see a chestnut color with a quickly receding khaki head.

S: There's a bit of an herbal note as I first smell the beer and it's quite heavy on the roast as well (for a quad, anyway). The wildness soon shows itself and there is an intense red wine aroma. Yet, it's still very sweet.

T: This sounds strange, but this tastes a lot like Manischewitz, or maybe a grape Jello shot. Sweet red grapes dominate and there's a definite alcohol flavor on the back end. I get a fair amount of roast and just a small amount of oak.

M: The body is medium to full with a surprisingly moderate level of carbonation.

D: Perhaps a little boozy to be all that drinkable, but still quite nice. I liked all the wine character, but I could see it becoming overwhelming with any considerable amount consumed.

3.88/5  rDev -5.8%

A - Cola colored, off white head with  small bubbles

S - candied sugar, dark fruits, slightly bready.

T - A bit like the nose. Bready, dark fruits, sweet.  Smallest amount of tart/ sour notes in finish.

M - Medium, smooth.

O - Not my favorite of the pannepot variations but very good.

3.83/5  rDev -7%

On tap at Ebenezer's the weekend of Night of the Funk 2010.

Pours a very dark brown into a nice Belgian chalice. Good off white head with really nice retention and some pretty good lacing. The nose brings some light notes of sourness and funk, although they're not terribly present. While nice, the side effect is that much of the really great notes of the original version are covered up.

The taste does a better job of integrating everything, though the great yeasty esters and complex malt don't stand out as much as I would like. The feel represents this well, as the slight funk doesn't mesh all that well with the remaining components of the beer. Overall, almost a lighter version of Pannepot that has gotten just a bit of an infection.

I'm really excited that I got to try this, although in the end it was a bit of a disappointment.

Pannepot Wild from De Struise Brouwers