St. Amatus 12 | De Struise Brouwers

struise.com

Style: Quadrupel (Quad)

Added by alcstradamus on 06-05-2010

330ml bottle 10,5% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in a snifter.
2011 Vintage

Appearance: St. Amatus appears a very dark brown (almost black) in the glass, with a back light revealing beautiful deep red edges. A rough pour yields a massive, creamy, beige coloured head that displays fantastic retention and coats the glass in thick rings of lacing as it recedes.

Smell: Mmmm, this smells absolutely delicious. The initial nose offers toasted grains, chocolate, brown sugar, dark fruits (figs, plums, cherries and raisins), a nutty note and even a hint of coffee (actually reminiscent of a coffee/chocolate cake). As the beer begins to warm, a vinous character is noted, alongside spicy Belgian yeast, an earthy note, a hint of caramel and a little alcohol.

Taste: I have had a bottle of St. Amatus before (in 2010 I think) and I remember being quite disappointed with the flavour. This is certainly not the case with this bottle, as the flavour is just as good as the nose promised.
Flavour notes include: Figs, raisins, plums, cherries, a lightly tart vinous character, toffee, some chocolate, brown candy sugar, an earthy quality and spicy Belgian yeast. Unlike the nose, there is absolutely no trace of the 10,5% in the flavour.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied (maybe a tad over) and slightly chewy, with a medium-high level of wonderfully smooth carbonation.

Overall: I can't for the life of me remember what I didn't like about St. Amatus the last time I had it, as this bottle is fantastic and actually one of the best quads that I have had. I will certainly be buying more bottles in the future.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.32/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

33cl bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a very dark amber/brown color with two fingers of off white head.

S: Raisins, plums, and toffee sweetness. I get some fruity and spicy yeast flavors behind that - pineapple with a bit of peppercorn and nutmeg.

T: Raisins, prunes, and sweet toffee are most upfront in this beer. I get orange bitters behind that to add to the complexity. I also get a bit of dark cherry in the finish. Very little booze - I drank the entire bottle in no time.

M: On the thick side with creamy carbonation.

O: A very nice Quad - complex sweetness, spiciness from the yeast.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Big thanks goes out to furthurgone for this one as a part of the Birthday BIF! 2010 Vintage! Enjoyed this one during rivalry Saturday while watching my Yellow Jackets play the Dawgs! Due to the slaughter taking place, I upped the ABV for this one! Served from bottle into an Orval goblet. Poured brown with a one finger very light tan head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, toasted malt, bread, dark fruit, sweet alcohol, fruit, and very subtle sugar. The flavor was of sweet malt, bread, dark fruit, fruit, sweet alcohol, caramel, sugar, and subtle earth. It had a medium feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. All of the components of a really solid Quad were present in this one which was quite nice. A nice balance of sweetness and booziness made this one surprisingly easy to drink despite the higher ABV. The aroma was very inviting and rather pleasant as well. Definitely a must try for any Quad fan out there who has not done so already.

3.53/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 Vintage, picked up at the Borough Market in London about a month ago. Poured into my Delirium Tremens snifter, Sint Amatus 12 is dark with tan head leaving scattered, foamy lace.

Smell is macerated prunes, a little brown sugar and some spicy, clean ethanol.

Taste is cured cherries, raisins, and rather heavy on the iron / blood. The spiciness of the alcohol is pretty robust as well. It's clean, but whoa, big beer, sharp elbows. As it opens up (and surely influenced by the spicy Aging Room M356 cigar I fired up about 1/3rd of the way in), the classic grape juice notes I like in a good quad comes through, which I find to be favorable.

Mouthfeel is on the viscous side, and not the most digestible Belgian.

Drinkability is okay, it's an interesting beer, but for the masterful portfolio that de struiss has, this one is a little disappointing.

4.43/5  rDev +6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a dark copper with a rocky tan head that settles into a thin layer with no lacing. Smells of oranges, leather, and a nice biscuit aroma. Taste is caramel and a nice malt. The finish is slightly dry and with a very subtle hops. This is a very delicate taste, dark but gentle. Like I like my women. The mouthfeel is slick and just a tad chewy. It makes you pay attention whether you want to or not. Like I like my women :) This is a fantastic beer. It has a lot going on and is delicious without being so challenging that you can't introduce it to newbies. This is a keeper, for sure. Not what I would expect from a quadrupel, a bit darker, but a nice deviation from the style. And we all like to be devious every once in a while, don't we? ;)

St. Amatus 12 from De Struise Brouwers