Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

atwaterbeer.com

Style: Munich Dunkel Lager

Added by AtLagerHeads on 09-18-2003

3.91/5  rDev +14.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.1/5  rDev -9.1%

4.5/5  rDev +32%

3.25/5  rDev -4.7%

4.25/5  rDev +24.6%

3.45/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This pours a dark brown with a two finger offwhite head that doesn't stick long and leaves little lacing. On the nose there toasted malts combined with some caramel and an almost oatmeal like bit lingering underneath. In the mouth the taste repeats, the toasted caramel getting towards harsh but never quite making it. The body is medium light, definitely Atwater's weakspot. It's carbonated well leaving a nice roasty finish to go on for a while.

Overall, this is the best Atwater Block beer I've had, the only one that the body wasn't light to the point of distraction. It's not a great beer but it's plenty tolerable. Atwater: more such essays, please.

Poured a bottle of this into a pint glass. The color was a nice deep brown that was clear. The head was a light tan color. The aromas were roasted, malts some nuts and sugars. There wasn't much of a hops aroma. The Taste was slightly bitter and dry. The mouthfeel was on the lighter side for a dark beer. This brew was just a decent one for me. I can live without having this one again. But it might be worth a try.

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

A: The beer is clear dark amber in color and poured with a thin white head that faded away leaving only a ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: The aroma is somewhat sweet and has some notes of caramel.
T: The overall taste is very similar to the smell.
M: It feels medium-bodied and very smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The beer is very easy to drink and is also a good representation of the style.

2.76/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a clear almost black color with great cap of tan foam about 2 fingers thick.

S: Smells of bicuit malts and sweet breads also a hint of some fruits like plums.

T: Chocolate hints with some biscuity malts.

M: Medium body with a bit to much carbonation.

D: Pretty good overall drinkability a bit off for a dunkle but good non the less.

I picked up a 6 pack of this the other day since I was in the mood for a nice dunkel so I figured I would give it a try. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- This beer poured a deep brown color with 3 fingers worth of tan lumpy head that died down to a half a fingers worth that stayed the rest of the time.

S- There's a mild presence of sweet slightly roasted malts, but that is quickly over powered by a very plastic like chemical smell. After reading some reviews I found a BA that said it smelled like some plastic water wings or a inflatable raft and I would say that is pretty dead on. The aroma is overall very confusing and bad.

T- Luckily the plastic doesn't carry through to the taste. The lightly roasted malts have a nice presence and are balanced well with the mild and grassy hops. Typical taste for a dunkle, nothing different just the normal flavors done well and balance well.

M- Medium bodied and overly carbonated.

D- I could have a couple of these, no problem. This beer goes down pretty smooth.

Overall this was a bit of a let down. I have had this beer before and liked it, but this batch seems off, every bottle from the 6 pack so far has been over carbonated and plagued with that horrid plastic smell. The taste was about were it should be for the style but the smell and over carbonation holds this beer back from hanging with the rest of the good dunkels. I think Atwater should look into some quality control issues with this brew.

EDIT: After finishing the rest of the 6 pack I found that some beers were even more of a gusher then the one i reviewed, and that 3 out of the 6 bottles had been infected with that horrible plastic taste.

EDIT2: Shortly after reviewing this beer I contacted the brewery to tell them about my infected six pack, they responded the next day, they apologized and told me it was and old batch and that they would be happy to contact my distributor and get me a replacement. Three weeks later I got an email from my local distributor telling me that they had dropped my beer of at local store. I went to pick it up and found they had given me two six packs instead of the one replacement. I think it was very nice of Atwater to do this, it shows that they really do care about their customers. This batch was spot on and just as good as I remembered. I have updated the rating to reflect this. Thanks Atwater from making a great dunkel and for taking care of your customers.

3.6/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This was my review from just a couple of weeks ago in bottle:

---
I bought this beer at my corner market for the sole reason that I had never seen it before. Overall it was a pretty good beer, and I'd be interested to try it on tap but I probably wont buy it in a bottle again.

Color was pretty dark, light brown to dark copper. Not a whole lot of aroma to it, a iittle biscuity. Taste was ok, refreshing, I don't think too strong.

Overall not bad and a good choice if most of the others are macros or beers you're bored with.

---

The draft version was about the same as the bottle but may have been more enjoyable on draft as it had a nice dark color and flavor profile while being a light drinker in alcohol, making it sessionable.

1.94/5  rDev -43.1%

Bottle sample courtesy of my friend Nick- A deep cola pour with a frothed beige cap. Nose of spoiled cabbage and smoke, some fruit. Tastes of sweet cabbage, smokey chocolate, bitter fruits. Medium bodied, nasty cabbage aftertaste. Unfortunately a drainpour.

3.63/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a darker brown/penny color with an huge helping of medium/thick tan head.
Smell is faint of malted grain and some sweet yeast.
Taste is solid with malted flavor with a great body of grainy/breadness.
Finish is wet with a small malt after-taste.
Drinks very smooth, sessionable with the best Munich Dunkels.

Atwater Dunkel from Atwater Brewery