Atwater Blöktoberfest | Atwater Brewery

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by weeare138 on 12-07-2005

1.4/5  rDev -58%

Deceptively advertised as "silver medal winner"; all I could find was Atwater winning a silver medal for a different product.

12oz bottle purchased at Wegman's.

First swallow had a bad metallic aftertaste. Just foul stuff. This is completely mis-conceived. Drain pour. And 5 more bottles to go.

1.7/5  rDev -48.9%

A - A huge four finger khaki head threatens to spill over the edges of my oversized pint glass, and the resulting lace left in it's wake is crusty as hell. The head is pillowy, billowing, fluffy, airy, and it gets pitted and shaped as it slowly recedes to a solid two fingers and stays put. There is lace all over the place, and it looks crusty and crystalized. The brew is a deep, deep bronze-orange and slightly cloudy. This is one helluva good looking beer.

S - Light biscuity caramel malt and a big dose of mineral water / well water metallic notes. Salty and airy, with a note that reminds me of the way whole grain pasta smells when it's cooking.

T - Uhh. This is not good. Rotten apples that have been on the ground under the apple tree for several days in the hot summer sun. Red wine vinegar (O-fest are NOT the style to show astringent vinegar notes like a Flander's red), Italian salad dressing, and pumpkin innard scrapings left over from Jack-O-Lantern carving activities.

M - Medium bodied with a very off-putting foamy carbonation. Finishes sour and off-tasting. Blech.

D - Like a Hollywood bimbo, this beautiful brew is pretty on the outside, but foul on the inside.

1.74/5  rDev -47.7%

This is supposedly a authentic german beer and i dont wanna knock a beer but this makes me not wanna go to germany. A dark amber color with very little head. Looks very murky and smells malty. Has very little intial taste but a strong hoppy almost butter taste like wine. This is maybe one of the worst beer ive ever had. The aftertast it terrible.

1.99/5  rDev -40.2%

This pours a nice reddish amber with a thick khaki cap that hangs tight and leaves some lacing,although it seems to slide away or evaporate. The nose smells of burnt plastic and some light malt sweetness. This is not good and there is very little that I can appreciate. The taste is just off,maybe a bad batch or old tho I doubt the later. The taste has some caramely malts that are overshadowed by soapy/plastic flavors,also acrid. I will retry this again next Fall,for now this one sucks azz. Barely drinkable,somehow I did it(it's my cross to bear).

2.02/5  rDev -39.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: Rich amber color, with about one finger's worth of head. Light to moderate lacing on the glass with visible carbonation. Doesn't look too bad at all, I'm anxious to give it a smell.

Smell: Pungent, hoppy scent. Definitely not the best beer I have ever smelled, but at least it has an aroma. Sadly, the aroma lingers in the back of my throat quite bitterly. Not impressed. I'm a bit nervous about tasting it.

Taste: It's not horrible; that's the best I can say. There's a gentle sweetness which is undeniably overwhelmed by the bitter, disgusting taste of poorly selected hops. The only place on my tongue which really responds is the "bitter" section, and that's never a good sign. Ugh.

Mouthfeel: Well, it's not good, and it's not bad. Mild, slightly crisp. Not watery, but definitely lighter than I would have expected.

Drinkability: No. Don't do it.

Would not recommend this beer to anybody. Except for a fifty-year smoker, perhaps; one whose taste buds have long since burned away.

2.06/5  rDev -38.1%

I have a love and hate relationship with this brewery. I love i because its about 1.5 miles from my house, I hate it because most of their beer sucks.

This one is no exception.

When I opened the bottle the foam shot out of the top of the bottle. This made pouring a glass of it almost impossible.

It has the right color for an octo but it could definitely be darker.

Don't get much of a nose of this one, only a little caramel and mild hops, I'm guessing noble.

felt it lacks the body of a good octo, i'm hoping the carbonation problem had something to do with this.

Overall I would have to agree with people who said stay away from this beer. If you are looking for a good octo try Bell's.

2.11/5  rDev -36.6%

A- Great orange color. Good carb. Nice head.

S- This is going to be bad. Movie popcorn smell up front. Sweet malty in the back

T- Yep the unmistakable taste of Diacetyl. There is a soap flavor also that does not go well with my popcorn.

M- the mouth feel is fine, cant get past the buttery soap.

D- It was hard to finish the bottle.

Don't let this review make you steer away from Atwater. They make good beer. This may be the only batch with this off flavor. I an going to give the Blocktoberfest another change next time I see a single.

2.12/5  rDev -36.3%

2.22/5  rDev -33.3%

I've seen a few other reviews of this beer talking about a butterscotch taste. Obviously these folks don't know what diacetyl is, hint: it's NOT supposed to be there. Well...maybe trace amounts here and there but it should not be foremost in the nose, what a turn off. I bought a sixtel of Penn's O'fest and one of these only to get home and tap the Block and get the diacetyl hit, yuck. I like the fact these guys do lagers and I've had their dunkel on before, pretty good. Tasted their stuff at GABF just last week but that was around 4pm...everything was starting to merge at that point.

2.28/5  rDev -31.5%

2.42/5  rDev -27.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Hopefully it's not a chop-bloktoberfest, 'cause that'd result in a penalty. ...Sorry. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear burnt sienna topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises old caramel, cardboard, and something else (and I'm gonna be a tad long-winded here): You know those air fresheners made from plunging cloves into an orange? Yeah, the last bit of the aroma smells just like one of those after several months of service. Suffice it to say, the smell is old and decrepit, and this is a fresh goddamn bottle. Nice start. The taste at least freshens up these components, but the end result is a muddled mess of bland, old malty "beer" filled with a couple cupboards of random spices, mostly clove. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, it's bad enough this is a generally bad beer, but to call it an Oktoberfest is an insult to the style. This seems like more of a crappy spiced winter warmer than anything, and even then it still sucks. Harsh words, I know, but if you drink this stuff (don't do that, by the way), you'll know from whence they came.

2.48/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Bloktoberfest a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I went to Boyne Country Provisions for a small Oktoberfest beer tasting with this beer being one of the two beers to sample, surprisingly I enjoyed this one a little more than Hofbraus Oktoberfest and I thought I should pick up a bottle to review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled in October 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater with the only difference being the Atwater dude holding a beer stein and wearing traditional Oktoberfest garb, it looks ok. It poured a nice caramel brown color that took on more of a copper/amber hue when held to the light withe two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking, I have no complaints. .

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart some toasted. stale and sweet malt aromas followed by a pretty big fruit aroma that might be from the yeast, it has a fruit aroma that I really can't put my finger on, but it reminds me a little of dark fruits. Towards the end come some toffee and caramel like aromas. The aroma isn't that great or true to style, the fruity aspect just seems out of place.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a very grainy, stale malt and lightly toasted malt flavors followed by a slight buttery flavor. Up next comes that weird fruity aspect that's a little lighter then it was in the aroma and it has a mixture of dark fruit and green apple flavors to it. On the finish there's a watery toasted malt taste with a light amount of bitterness and a grainy and toasted malt aftertaste. The taste wasn't good, the fruity and light butter flavors hurt it.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok , but it fell too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and it wasn't a good example of the style, it''s really confusing because when I had this from the bottle at the beer tasting it really didn't taste anything like this and it was much truer to style and little more robust than most Oktoberfests, but what I got was something that tasted, old, stale, watery, and muted, but it's a fresh beer, I just don't understand, but I'm still reviewing since this could mean that there's some crazy bottle variation. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, but it was thin and watery with some off flavors and the taste did not hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, I wouldn't want to drink another one that tastes like this. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it seems to be the only aspect that was the same as I remember it. What I liked the least about this beer was how different it tasted from the bottle I first had, there's no good reason why the two are so different. I would buy a single again in hopes I get one that doesn't taste like this, but I don't know if I'll see anymore this season and after this experience I'm not too eager to revisit it. I would recommend this one, but I would recommend the first bottle i tried, so it's too inconsistent for me to recommend to my friends All in all i'm confused with this beer, it just wasn't at all what I remember. Better luck next time guys, I wish this beer was more consistent since I enjoyed the first bottle i tried..

2.49/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a clean copper/ orange-ish color, with a light tan head. In the aroma, sweet butterscotch and a small earthiness. In the taste, sticky-sweet butterscotch and a sweet earthiness. A smooth and medium to light bodied mouthfeel, with a sticky, dry butterscotch in the aftertaste. Quite sticky with butterscotch, but decent earthiness.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

2.56/5  rDev -23.1%

Picked this up about a month ago and finally decided to pour it, so I put it into my pint glass tonight.

A: I am writing this review waiting for the head to go down on my beer. It is a colossal three finger head that nearly overflows the pint glass. The color is dark, clear copper with tons and tons of carbonation flowing up.

S: Really pale light smell here. No malt really comes through in the smell, but there is a huge scent of spices (cinnamon, nutmeg) that show.

T: Five minutes later the huge creamy head comes down enough for me to take a sip...Umm...not what I was expecting. It tastes like one of my homebrews that went bad. Very vinagary, apple cider flavors with WAY too much carbonation. The vinegar taste kills all other flavors.

I am hoping this was a bad batch, otherwise this is the worst attempt at an Oktoberfest I could ever imagine. Drain pourer? Quite possibly.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried the Atwater Marzen Bloktoberfest at Boulevard's in J'Town, PA. The beer poured a rich amber with good carbonation that provided a decent head that laced somewhat. The smell included rye notes mixed in with sweet malt. The taste was primarily powered by barley and malt. Yikes, I do not like this beer. The taste includes strong rye that turned to like a sour mash almost. Lots of barely and malt. The mouthfeel was hurt by the pour taste. Best part about this beer was the end. Overall it up to you whether or not to try it...never hurts to tried a beer at least once.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: semi cloudy ruby red. Decent head, some lace.

S: Well, grape kool-aid is what I picked up right away. Damnedest thing..Thinking this is an old bottle?

T: Sweet, followed up by some bitterness from hops. Roasted malts mixed in. Nothing really standing out here. Not really what I expected for a MArzen, but, really not offensive.

M: Coats mouth with a somewhat wierd sourness.

D:
I dunno, took all i had to finish it. I guess it being February, maybe this brew is getting a bit tired. I love Marzens, but, this is not so good.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -21.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Not very good. Does not have a good color or a strong taste at the finish. Kind of just goes away

2.64/5  rDev -20.7%

Please note this is a bottle review. Important as normal from atwater this is another slightly infected bottle. I went in with an open mind as the person who gave mw the bottle said it was great. It poured well with a good head, color and carbonation was not over the top in appearance. The smell was also okay, faint off malt smell but masked by spices and other positive smells.

In the taste there was obviously something off. There was a slightly vinegary taste along with a slightly fizzy sensation.you could tell that there was a decent brew in there somewhere but the offness definately shadowed this. Again if I come across a decent batvh, or have it on tap I will modify or add the appropriate review.

2.69/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a huge, soapy, tan head that laces well. Sweet malt and spicy hop aroma, becomes almost astringent as the head settles. Ruby-crimson color. Starts with a toasted malt/caramel flavor. Builds to a low-medium bitterness. Caramel is sustained throughout.

I am not a fan of caramel flavors, and I am definitely not a fan of them in an Oktoberfest, so this isn't for me - at all. This is a total miss on what makes the style what it is.

Atwater Blöktoberfest from Atwater Brewery