Atwater Blöktoberfest | Atwater Brewery

3.7/5  rDev +11.1%

Atwater Brewery "Blöktoberfest"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, "BOTTLED ON J (July) 16" and sampled on 09/19/16
$2 @ ACME, Media, PA

Notes: Very nice appearance with a clear copper body beneath an inch-plus thick head of yellowed off-white that held remarkably well and left some very nice full sheets of Belgian lace at the outset. Aroma of rich, toasty, fruity, and caramelish malt - basically Vienna malt - with some spicy and grassy hops in the background. The flavor followed suit, adding in a fuller spiciness, and it's hard for me to imagine that it all came from the hops, which isn't good for a beer of just 6.2% ABV. However the alcohol that was there wasn't too aggressive that the malt wasn't able to balance it, and it didn't come off as "hot". As expected, the finish was dry and spicy with a bit of caramel/brown sugar, grass, and dried leaves lingering. Somewhat disappointing in that it offered much more promise and an overall great start, and then faltered with its slightly high alcohol/spiciness hindering its drinkability in the end.

3.74/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Had on tap, served in a shaker pint. No head to speak of, just a swirl of foam. Not much for lacing, either. Copper color. Caramel malts, floral/grassy hop aroma. Quite flavorful and smooth, sweet and malty, with a slight peppery/bitter bite. A hair more bitter than other marzens, but not too bad. Paired well with the bacon/pineapple/BBQ burger on my plate.
One of Atwater's better offerings, coming from someone who's not a big fan of Atwater.

3.22/5  rDev -3.3%

Look....nice copper color with better lace retention than head.
Taste...a little soapy...hops on tops...lingering bitterness.
Feel...its crispy..pretty much what a marzen should be..
Overall...a little too hoppy and bitter for my liking...would never turn one down.

3.31/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

This beer has a lot of the elements you want in a Marzen, though the ratios and taste are off. The look is spot on: dark amber, bit of foam that recedes, nice lacing. Smell has sweet malts, a bit of apple. The flavor had a metallic taste at first, sweet malt, funky apple cider, and bit too much on the hop side (outright bitter). Nice carb feel. Not one I would seek out again. I will stick with my Hacker Pschorr!

4.29/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have been winnowing through the backlog of beer here at Chez Woody, eschewing hoppy IPAs & DIPAs for everything else that seems to get short shrift. I have several Oktoberfest/Marzens lined up for this evening.

From the bottle: "Marzen Style Lager [-] A German tradition celebrating the harvest"; "Our GABF Silver Medal Winner".

Finally, a cap that actually Pop!ped off as opposed to being a screw-top! I celebrated with a heavy-handed pour that produced two fingers of dense,rocky, deep-tan head with great retention. Color was Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose held a pleasant blend of biscuit malt and grassy hops. I was becoming anxious to try this one! Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, big for the style. The taste was unexpectedly skewing towards bitter, with a bready/biscuity maltiness that melded well with the grassy Noble hops. I would have to say that the finish was downright dry, which was again unusual for the style. It went extremely well with the pretzel(s) that I always have standing by for just such an occasion.

3.77/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Looks very nice in the glass, fairly clear with a medium amber color with some orange tint. Light carbonation, about right for the style. Thin but decent head retention, typical for a craft lager. Has a slightly fruity smell, probably from the hops. The taste was a bit more bitter than other Octoberfests I have had, not really true to style I think. It tastes kind of like a hoppy Pilsner with some Munich malts added. The hops really stand out, but not over the top. I'm glad I decided to try this one, it is certainly worth having.

1.4/5  rDev -58%

Deceptively advertised as "silver medal winner"; all I could find was Atwater winning a silver medal for a different product.

12oz bottle purchased at Wegman's.

First swallow had a bad metallic aftertaste. Just foul stuff. This is completely mis-conceived. Drain pour. And 5 more bottles to go.

3.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Reviewed on 9/14/14

Appearance - 3.5/5
A very clear dark red-orange. About 1 cm of head after initially poured, dissipates to no head within 30 seconds. A very sparse amount of carbonation is seen flowing up at a slower than average rate. Overall, the colors are nice, but I would like to see more head retention.

Smell - 3.75/5
Dark and sweet caramel malts. Fruity alcohol.

Taste - 3.25/5
Dark lightly sweet malts. Hops. Some fruit and alcohol flavors as well. This is definitely the hoppiest and most bitter Oktoberfest I've had. Not sure I really like that with this beer. I would like the dark sweet maltiness to be the prominent taste, and the hops subtle, rather than in this beer where I feel as though the maltiness and hops are almost on equal footing (the malt taste is still stronger). Overall, not a giant fan of the flavor of this beer.

Mouthfeel - 3.5/5
Medium bodied, light carbonation. Slightly bitter. Very crisp. I like the crispness of this beer, I don't like the bitterness. Nothing else about the mouthfeel really stands out much.

Overall - 3/5
Overall, this was my least favorite Oktoberfest beer. It was way too hoppy and there wasn't really any redeeming features in my opinion.

2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a huge, soapy, tan head that laces well. Sweet malt and spicy hop aroma, becomes almost astringent as the head settles. Ruby-crimson color. Starts with a toasted malt/caramel flavor. Builds to a low-medium bitterness. Caramel is sustained throughout.

I am not a fan of caramel flavors, and I am definitely not a fan of them in an Oktoberfest, so this isn't for me - at all. This is a total miss on what makes the style what it is.

3.38/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a dark bronze color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bready, nutty. Taste is also bready, toasted malts a bit of nuts. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a decent beer. I have to agree with the previous reviewer, this does drink more like a brown ale than a marzen.

3.63/5  rDev +9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle with a clipped off date of March 2015. Sampled on August 9, 2014.

It is nice to look at that is for sure. Deep reddish amber pour with a big off-white head and brilliant clarity.

The aroma is more subtle than anything but it does bring out some roasted malts, sweetness, nuttiness, but little to no hop bite.

The body is medium.

The taste tends to be on the sweet and nutty side. It reminds more of a brown ale rather than an Oktoberfest. But I guess the two can be interchangeable.

2.48/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Bloktoberfest a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I went to Boyne Country Provisions for a small Oktoberfest beer tasting with this beer being one of the two beers to sample, surprisingly I enjoyed this one a little more than Hofbraus Oktoberfest and I thought I should pick up a bottle to review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled in October 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater with the only difference being the Atwater dude holding a beer stein and wearing traditional Oktoberfest garb, it looks ok. It poured a nice caramel brown color that took on more of a copper/amber hue when held to the light withe two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking, I have no complaints. .

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart some toasted. stale and sweet malt aromas followed by a pretty big fruit aroma that might be from the yeast, it has a fruit aroma that I really can't put my finger on, but it reminds me a little of dark fruits. Towards the end come some toffee and caramel like aromas. The aroma isn't that great or true to style, the fruity aspect just seems out of place.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a very grainy, stale malt and lightly toasted malt flavors followed by a slight buttery flavor. Up next comes that weird fruity aspect that's a little lighter then it was in the aroma and it has a mixture of dark fruit and green apple flavors to it. On the finish there's a watery toasted malt taste with a light amount of bitterness and a grainy and toasted malt aftertaste. The taste wasn't good, the fruity and light butter flavors hurt it.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok , but it fell too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and it wasn't a good example of the style, it''s really confusing because when I had this from the bottle at the beer tasting it really didn't taste anything like this and it was much truer to style and little more robust than most Oktoberfests, but what I got was something that tasted, old, stale, watery, and muted, but it's a fresh beer, I just don't understand, but I'm still reviewing since this could mean that there's some crazy bottle variation. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, but it was thin and watery with some off flavors and the taste did not hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, I wouldn't want to drink another one that tastes like this. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it seems to be the only aspect that was the same as I remember it. What I liked the least about this beer was how different it tasted from the bottle I first had, there's no good reason why the two are so different. I would buy a single again in hopes I get one that doesn't taste like this, but I don't know if I'll see anymore this season and after this experience I'm not too eager to revisit it. I would recommend this one, but I would recommend the first bottle i tried, so it's too inconsistent for me to recommend to my friends All in all i'm confused with this beer, it just wasn't at all what I remember. Better luck next time guys, I wish this beer was more consistent since I enjoyed the first bottle i tried..

3.9/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: chestnut brown with auburn highlights, tan head of decent size, great clarity

Aroma: roastier than most marzen a, with nuttiness, a little coffee hint, and subtle floral hops. Malt is most of aroma

Taste: malty, with hints of chestnuts, coffee, and toasted bread, as well as floral hop finish. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel: crisp and easy drinkability. A wet and full kind of mouthfeel though. More full bodied than most American marzens. Medium carbonation

Overall: A much maltier marzen with more emphasis on the development of its malt character with hints of coffee, chestnuts, and toasted bread. Floral hops on the finish to balance

2.42/5  rDev -27.3%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Hopefully it's not a chop-bloktoberfest, 'cause that'd result in a penalty. ...Sorry. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear burnt sienna topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises old caramel, cardboard, and something else (and I'm gonna be a tad long-winded here): You know those air fresheners made from plunging cloves into an orange? Yeah, the last bit of the aroma smells just like one of those after several months of service. Suffice it to say, the smell is old and decrepit, and this is a fresh goddamn bottle. Nice start. The taste at least freshens up these components, but the end result is a muddled mess of bland, old malty "beer" filled with a couple cupboards of random spices, mostly clove. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, it's bad enough this is a generally bad beer, but to call it an Oktoberfest is an insult to the style. This seems like more of a crappy spiced winter warmer than anything, and even then it still sucks. Harsh words, I know, but if you drink this stuff (don't do that, by the way), you'll know from whence they came.

3.31/5  rDev -0.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled in Sept 2012. Pours lightly hazy copper color with a 1 finger fairly dense off white head with very good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Good soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of apple, pear, caramel, toast, biscuit, raisin, nuttiness, molasses, and herbal spiciness. Ok aromas with decent balance; but they are far too fruity and phenolic. Taste of caramel, toast, biscuit, pear, apple, nuttiness, molasses, earth, and herbal spiciness. Lingering notes of toast, caramel, biscuit, nuttiness, earth, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Very solid balance of flavors with a fairly robust feel; minimal cloying after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy, slick, and crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid oktoberfest. Some good flavor balance and robustness; quite easy and smooth to drink. This was pretty enjoyable.

2.95/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Burnt Sienna brown with little to no head retention.

S - Bread, yeasty, sweet, malts, caramel.

T - Malty, caramel, rich and robust. Not much balance with it and it just drinks too heavy. Something not quite right with this.

O - Decent not great. I really wouldn't recommend this considering all the great options available for this style.

12oz into my atwater pint glass. best before date clearly marked.

a - pours copper in color, totally transparent, with a thin cap of coarse, off white head. leaves a few thin legs of lacing in the glass.

s - carmel, cookie dough, faint hop spice.

t - carmel malt with a little spiciness on the middle of the tongue. notes of diacetyl and just enough earthy bitterness keeps things balanced. not much going on here.

m - medium body, buttery, coarse co2 profile and not quite enough carbonation.

o - easily drinkable i guess but just average as far as the style goes. would have been better without the diacetyl and with a just little more hops. with so many other great marzen/oktoberfest beers out there i don't see myself returning to this one.

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%

Appearance: Pours with a head that doesn't last long. The color of the beer is just what you'd expect from the usual Oktoberfest -- perfectly like Autumn. Looks nice, but lacking overall.

Smell: Meh. Sweet, caramel-like, and malty. Again, average.

Taste/feel: I wonder if these other reviews got a skunked bottle or theirs just wasn't fresh ... I'm getting an above average taste here. The first sip is INCREDIBLY bready tasting. Honestly, almost TOO much so. After that though, you get a super tasty malty Oktoberfest with a very nice mouthfeel.

I haven't had many Oktoberfests (Actually, I've only had this and Sam Adams' up to this point), but I like this one quite a bit more than Sam's. The carbonation and texture and the overall taste. I don't know about you other guys, but I enjoy this one a good bit. Would love to try it on tap.

2.98/5  rDev -10.5%

Sad to say but just another average beer from Atwater,I was hoping this would be a little better.Poured a bottle and a half into a 1/2 liter stein,a lighter copper/bronze with a thinner but well sustained white head atop.Brown sugar and caramel malts in the nose,mainly on the sweeter side with no crispness our dough to it.Thin feel that doesn't help the thinner sweet flavors any,there is a little dryingness to it in the finish buthere just is no complexity.It's average on par with Lenie's and not as good as Sam Adams,sonot very good.

3.3/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a nice dark amber color with a slight head which disappears rapidly.

S: Aroma is of dark sweet malts and some darker fruits raisins dates plums and such. Very little hop essence for the nose.

T: Right up front is the raisins and plum darker fruity taste which slides over to a sweet malty. It has a slightly boozy alcohol taste in the back end.

M: Mouth-feel is a bit thin and watery with an alcohol taste in the back, very little carbonation.

O: Overall I would drink this again but it is not my favorite beer for this style. Great beer still for just sitting around the fire with some friends roasting marshmallows and hot dogs.

2.59/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried the Atwater Marzen Bloktoberfest at Boulevard's in J'Town, PA. The beer poured a rich amber with good carbonation that provided a decent head that laced somewhat. The smell included rye notes mixed in with sweet malt. The taste was primarily powered by barley and malt. Yikes, I do not like this beer. The taste includes strong rye that turned to like a sour mash almost. Lots of barely and malt. The mouthfeel was hurt by the pour taste. Best part about this beer was the end. Overall it up to you whether or not to try it...never hurts to tried a beer at least once.

3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

This beer poured out as a pretty good looking amberish orange color with a white foamy head on top. The lacing was minimal and the rentions was a just a little better. The smell of the beer had plenty of sweet caramel aromas and some spice on the nose. The taste of the beer follows the same path as the nose, it gives off a good amount sweet flavors that get mixed with the spices pretty well. The mouthfeel of the beer was smooth and had a medium body to it. Overall not too bad.

3.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - No head to speak of just a weak ring of lace. Color is of a very dark brown which is clear.

S - Smells more of sweetness which is great. Toasted grains and caramel sweetness a plenty.

T - Toasted malts come off a bit aggressive in mid drink with touches of hops and a sweet finish. Almost chalky but not in a disgusting way. Not bad.

M - Light to medium it hides the ABV well.

Overall even though it is sweet its not really that great. And carbonation is lacking since the date is marked "August 2011" I assume I waited too long to drink this one but it's weird to see it almost carbonation-less after a couple of months. It's an OK beer.

3.35/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle with a notch on August that I assume is a "bottled on" date, poured into a Siciliano's mug. Cool label that features the Detroit skyline.

A- A normal pour created a 1/2-finger, tan head that diminished to a thin film a little too quickly. The head does re-develop with a gentle swirl. The body was a rich, copper-brown, clean with medium-light carbonation. Decent sticky spots were left on the glass.

S- Nice malt profile was present right in the bottle, toasty and caramel-like. There are some light fruit esters that I wasn't expecting. All-in-all it's pretty good, but could be a little bolder.

T- Good, deep flavors at first sip. Lots of caramel and toasted bread. There was an interesting mix of light fruit esters that were hinted in the aroma. Hops are a little grassy and work to clean up the finish until the caramel sneaks back in. I'd like more of a spicy profile than the grassy hops. Finish becomes something of toasted bread and nearly burnt caramel. Not bad, just different. This is on the verge of a 3.5 for flavor.

M- Good, moderate body fits the style. Maybe a little under-carbonated for me.

O- It's so difficult to stand out in this style. Atwater does an "ok" job putting it in the middle of the pack. I'd drink it again, but wouldn't choose it over some of the imports and better domestic offerings.

2.06/5  rDev -38.1%

I have a love and hate relationship with this brewery. I love i because its about 1.5 miles from my house, I hate it because most of their beer sucks.

This one is no exception.

When I opened the bottle the foam shot out of the top of the bottle. This made pouring a glass of it almost impossible.

It has the right color for an octo but it could definitely be darker.

Don't get much of a nose of this one, only a little caramel and mild hops, I'm guessing noble.

felt it lacks the body of a good octo, i'm hoping the carbonation problem had something to do with this.

Overall I would have to agree with people who said stay away from this beer. If you are looking for a good octo try Bell's.

Atwater Blöktoberfest from Atwater Brewery