Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Atwater Blöktoberfest | Atwater Brewery

Availability: Fall

Added by weeare138 on 12-07-2005

2.75/5  rDev -17.9%

2.48/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Bloktoberfest a couple weeks ago for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I went to Boyne Country Provisions for a small Oktoberfest beer tasting with this beer being one of the two beers to sample, surprisingly I enjoyed this one a little more than Hofbraus Oktoberfest and I thought I should pick up a bottle to review, so lets see how it goes. Bottled in October 2013. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater with the only difference being the Atwater dude holding a beer stein and wearing traditional Oktoberfest garb, it looks ok. It poured a nice caramel brown color that took on more of a copper/amber hue when held to the light withe two fingers worth of creamy off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a good amount of spotty lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking, I have no complaints. .

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a some malts that impart some toasted. stale and sweet malt aromas followed by a pretty big fruit aroma that might be from the yeast, it has a fruit aroma that I really can't put my finger on, but it reminds me a little of dark fruits. Towards the end come some toffee and caramel like aromas. The aroma isn't that great or true to style, the fruity aspect just seems out of place.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by some malts that impart a very grainy, stale malt and lightly toasted malt flavors followed by a slight buttery flavor. Up next comes that weird fruity aspect that's a little lighter then it was in the aroma and it has a mixture of dark fruit and green apple flavors to it. On the finish there's a watery toasted malt taste with a light amount of bitterness and a grainy and toasted malt aftertaste. The taste wasn't good, the fruity and light butter flavors hurt it.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little crisp, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok , but it fell too thin and watery for the style.

Overall I thought this wasn't a good beer and it wasn't a good example of the style, it''s really confusing because when I had this from the bottle at the beer tasting it really didn't taste anything like this and it was much truer to style and little more robust than most Oktoberfests, but what I got was something that tasted, old, stale, watery, and muted, but it's a fresh beer, I just don't understand, but I'm still reviewing since this could mean that there's some crazy bottle variation. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it was a little smooth, but it was thin and watery with some off flavors and the taste did not hold my attention, one is more than enough for me, I wouldn't want to drink another one that tastes like this. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, it seems to be the only aspect that was the same as I remember it. What I liked the least about this beer was how different it tasted from the bottle I first had, there's no good reason why the two are so different. I would buy a single again in hopes I get one that doesn't taste like this, but I don't know if I'll see anymore this season and after this experience I'm not too eager to revisit it. I would recommend this one, but I would recommend the first bottle i tried, so it's too inconsistent for me to recommend to my friends All in all i'm confused with this beer, it just wasn't at all what I remember. Better luck next time guys, I wish this beer was more consistent since I enjoyed the first bottle i tried..

3.9/5  rDev +16.4%

Appearance: chestnut brown with auburn highlights, tan head of decent size, great clarity

Aroma: roastier than most marzen a, with nuttiness, a little coffee hint, and subtle floral hops. Malt is most of aroma

Taste: malty, with hints of chestnuts, coffee, and toasted bread, as well as floral hop finish. Very balanced.

Mouthfeel: crisp and easy drinkability. A wet and full kind of mouthfeel though. More full bodied than most American marzens. Medium carbonation

Overall: A much maltier marzen with more emphasis on the development of its malt character with hints of coffee, chestnuts, and toasted bread. Floral hops on the finish to balance

4.25/5  rDev +26.9%

2.42/5  rDev -27.8%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Hopefully it's not a chop-bloktoberfest, 'cause that'd result in a penalty. ...Sorry. Anyway, this stuff pours a clear burnt sienna topped by a finger of dirty white foam. The nose comprises old caramel, cardboard, and something else (and I'm gonna be a tad long-winded here): You know those air fresheners made from plunging cloves into an orange? Yeah, the last bit of the aroma smells just like one of those after several months of service. Suffice it to say, the smell is old and decrepit, and this is a fresh goddamn bottle. Nice start. The taste at least freshens up these components, but the end result is a muddled mess of bland, old malty "beer" filled with a couple cupboards of random spices, mostly clove. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, it's bad enough this is a generally bad beer, but to call it an Oktoberfest is an insult to the style. This seems like more of a crappy spiced winter warmer than anything, and even then it still sucks. Harsh words, I know, but if you drink this stuff (don't do that, by the way), you'll know from whence they came.

Atwater Blöktoberfest from Atwater Brewery