1. Introducing the Respect Beer® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to ad-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

Atwater Maibock | Atwater Brewery

Availability: Spring

None provided.

Reviews by JordanEllwanger:
3.48/5  rDev +4.2%

A perfect transparent amber toned copper body with a very slight off white head. Smells very malty with a tiny hint of hops. Taste is very malty and a good blend. Reminds me of A little bit of an English ale. Somewhat of a bitter bite with the after taste. Not a bad brew.
Cheers.

4.47/5  rDev +33.8%

I picked up a six pack of Atwater's Maibock last week for $9.99 at Meijers. I have never had this style before and I didn't even know Atwater made one till I saw it on the shelf, so lets see how it goes. 2012 spring release, bottled Feb. 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It has the same old label that most of their beers have, but for some reason the blue color really looks good on the label and it catches the eye, I like it. It poured a nice slightly hazy golden yellow color that looked pretty nice and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very noticeable bubblegum aroma that I like and have never had a beer where the bubblegum aroma stands out as much as it does. Following that is some bready and sweet grainy aromas that go nicely with the bubblegum. I also pick up some earthy hops towards the end. This beer has a very good and unique aroma, I can't stop smelling it.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma but it isn't as heavy on the bubblegum as the aroma was. It starts out with loads of nice grainy malts that impart some grain and lots of bread and biscuit flavors. After that comes a slight sweet flavor followed by a small amount of bubble gum that leads back into some more bready malts. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly grassy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that brings some nice balance and it has a very bready aftertaste. I enjoyed the flavor of this beer, the flavors were clean and simple, with just enough bitterness to balance everything out,, very well done.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, crisp, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall I have to say that I was pretty surprised with this beer and I ended up really liking it and I thought it was a pretty damn good Maibock, I don't have any experience with this style but I really like the fact that it is suppose to be a drinkable spring beer, flavorful but light enough to enjoy a few during the day while chilling outside, this beer has inspired me to seek out more of this style and try some traditional Maibocks. This beer was super drinkable, it never lasts long in my glass and goes great with some grilling outside and it paired great with some beer brats, I could drink a six pack of this throughout the day if I wanted to, as far as Bocks go I don't think they get much more drinkable then this. What I liked most about this beer was everything, this beer was firing on all cylinders and I thought every aspect was well done. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, I couldn't find anything at all that was wrong with it, which isn't all that common. I will be buying more of this and have already got another six pack, I think everyone should give this beer a try, even my mom liked it and that doesn't happen often. I was really impressed with this beer, Atwater has a way of disappointing me a couple times in a row and just when I start to lower my expectations they come out of nowhere with an unexpectedly great beer, and that was the case with this beer, a very pleasant surprise. I can't say enough good things about this beer, and I am glad I took a chance on it, good job guys, this may be my choice beverage of the spring. So far this is my favorite Maibock, and one of my favorite beers from Atwater. All in all a great beer

1.47/5  rDev -56%

This is not a very good beer.

Positives:

-Mild doughy/bready aroma

Negatives:

-Too carbonated (much too carbonated actually)
-Some apple like fruitiness on the aroma
-Hazy appearance. Does not look like a clean lager.
-Taste includes a strong grassy hoppiness, butterscotch, apple peal, and cooked vegetables. Add it all up and this is the worst tasting maibock I have encountered.

This tastes nothing like a maibock or lager and tossing out the category this just doesn't appeal to me.

1.06/5  rDev -68.3%

Golden body. Very hazy. LOTS of CO2 bubbles apparant. Big frothy rocky white head. (All signs that maybe this is a bit too carbonated.) Chemical smell of sulfur and of an electrical fire. Awful aroma. Carbonation is too high. The electrical fire aroma translates nicely over to the palate (or not nicely in this case). This beer is highly flawed. This is the first beer I will actually pour down the drain in years.

Pours out to a bright and dense yellow in the glass with a good-sized head. The aroma is slightly sweet, with a faint hint of marshmallows coming to the forefront. The taste is very good, with a slight sweetness on the sip giving way to a nice dose of hops on the swallow that turn off that sweetness. This tastes like a fully loaded lager. I dig it. Nicely done.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured one and a half bottles into a half liter stein with a full golden/brass color with a blooming one and a half finger white head atop.Toasted grain sweetish alcohol in the nose,a faint iron note as well.Not as full and sweet as alot of maibocks but it's got a nice firm toastiness and a tinge of anise,it misses on some character traits but hits on a few others.Not as full as I would have liked in the mouthfeel but I think it's a little better than the ratings may suggest,not top tier but ok...

2.27/5  rDev -32%

Medium gold with a healthy stack of white froth that both retains and laces well.
Nose is loud and full of sweet creamed corn. It's absolutely monolithic, and a little traumatic, as it flashes me back to 8 years old and my mother's insistence that I not go outside and play baseball until those last two dumptruck-sized spoonfuls of said corn preparation were consumed. All jokes and anecdotes aside, the aroma is not attractive, and lacks any sort of depth via backup tones. Simple and flawed, though quite potent and off-putting.
It fares slightly better in the mouth. Creamed corn is still a major player, and probably THE major player, and I'm still very uneasy about it, but here at least it has company. Low levels of vanilla and butterscotch (which is out of place in itself) and bruised pear waver in and out. It concludes with a grassy hop flavor and bitterness that, while minor, serves to slake the mouth clean.
Slick textured, medium body with a low-level carbonation. I can't blame anything on how it feels.
There are big elements of this that I don't like at all. Some of it is my fault with my neuroses and biases, but the majority of the blame falls on the beer.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

pours a nice golden color. bone colored head, nice amount of foaming and some lace.
floral nose, but nothing really to it.
Nice taste. very sweet and malty, finished with a nice crisp hop taste. Good combo, with hints of ginger in there.
Sweet,clean, and crisp, all in all a very good beer to sit and enjoy any time of the year. get it if you are in the mood for something drinkable and flavor filled

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

Appears a crystal clear honey golden forms a large beige head forms leaves light sparse lace chunks as the head dwindles down. Aroma has a doughy sweetness light lemongrass sweetness herbal hops distinct biscuit malt tartness in there as well, fruity components bring some green apple and mild apricot tones. Flavor not so smooth a rough graininess that I usually detect in Atwater Block bottle openings kinda rough bitterness with leafy flavors doesn't meld so well a sour grainy finish with some traces of malty fruit tones. Mouthfeel is medium bodied again carbonation issues from this Atwater offering a bit higher than I would like. Drinkability is decent but by no means as clean and crips as a well made maibock should be kinda disappointing froma seasonal bottled offering from any micro.

1.82/5  rDev -45.5%

Slight haze suspended in a peachy gold body. Small, gauzey, cotton-white head, with nice lacing. Don't know about the haze though (it's not chill haze). Caramel and butterscotch malt sweetness mixes with cooked vegetables, vegetal hops, and sweetish brandy alcohol. Taste is blech. Sour bandaid infection is awful. Sorry Atwater but this is the second different beer I've had that has been a totally infected mess! Leave the wild fermentation to Jolly Pumpkin, eh? Drain pour.

1.6/5  rDev -52.1%

Polished tangerine with goldenrod borders. Atop the pristine liquid sits three fingers of manila colored foam that is whipped creamy and displays admirable persistence. A wide band of lace is beginning to appear as the head slowly melts. Could this possibly be a good beer from Atwater Block? Hard to imagine.

Uh... no. Not even close. How can a beer that looks this good smell this bad? The aroma is akin to moldy creamed corn stored too long in its tin can. Where is the malt, the hops, the beer-like qualities. I have now become a little afraid of upending the glass.

Atwater Block Mai-Bock tastes as bad as it smells. Since I can't improve on the above description, I won't try. Just think of any rotting vegetable matter made into a lightly sweet liquid and you'll get some idea of how this crap tastes. The only question is whether or not it deserves the lowest possible score.

Although I can't keep from hesitating each time the glass nears my lips... and can't keep from grimacing each time beer contacts taste buds... and since I've had worse... I'll have to go with the next-to-lowest score. Drinkability, however, is another story. Is another sip really necessary to assess the mouthfeel? Here goes...

Not impressed. It's too thin, though not watery, and is lazily carbonated. Forget further detail because I refuse to punish myself by drinking any more of this nauseating beer.

I'm flabbergasted that Atwater Block continues to keep their doors open. Mai-Bock is my seventh brew from this brewery and is the worst of a very nasty lot. What are the odds that I've gotten ahold of seven (seven!) bad bottles... from three different stores... in two different states... at two separate times? Since Cold Spring (formerly Gluek) has improved some of their products, I hereby nominate these guys for America's worst microbrewery. Gack!

4.27/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a clear golden color with a loose bright white 1/2" head. Medium amount of lace.

Sweet pale malts in the nose engulfed in a sweet honey scent. After a few brisk swirls of my pounder pint glass, I experience a heavenly honey glazed roasted almond smell - very wonderful.

The flavors are sweet pale malts (once again) with a soft malty backbone atop a slightly prickly hop dryness that gives way more to mouthfeel than to flavor, but just enough hop presence to keep the sweet malts from becoming too overpowering. There's a faint astringent alcohol presence at the end that's pronounced with dryness rather than a warming sensation. Honey and earthy elements are in here as well.

Mouthfeel is spectacular. The carbonation is very fine and active, but definitely knows its place. A well placed dryness at the finish that's quick and to the point. On the lighter side of medium bodied.

Drinkablility is absurd. I could easily drink 3-4 of these on a hot day with no problem. Quenching and satisfying.

Overall a very nice helles bock. I love how the finish is dry and everything leading up to the finish is sweet and delicate. Quite a beautifully balanced spot-on domestic rendition of a hard-to-nail style. Excellent for sure!

2.46/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

I recently purchased this out of the singles cooler at the Friendly Greek and am curious to try it as their beers have been hit-or-miss for me thus far.

From the bottle: "Beer is good"; "Enjoy responsibly"; "High Gravity Lager".

I popped the cap and before I could make the pour, I had a small cap of head sneaking its way up through the neck of the bottle! Being that it was that carbonated, I employed a more gentle pour than I might have otherwise. The dense two-finger cap of French Vanilla-colored head looked like the top of an ice cream float, perfect for the approach of summer. Color was an oh-so-slightly hazy golden-yellow. Nose smelled strongly of Saaz hops, kind of skunky, catty, you get the idea. Mouthfeel was thick and viscous and the taste of the hops was a) off and b) much too heavy for the style. Finish retained a sharpness from the hops that rendered it fairly unpleasant in total. Another swing and a miss for this brewery.

3.08/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance: Bursts out with a massive head that sits atop the hazy golden liquid; looks good once it settles down but way too much head at the outset

Smell: Bread and butterscotch

Taste: Bready opening, but the butterscotch quickly becomes dominant; by mid-palate, there is a developing herbacious character that becomes somewhat grainy in the finish, though the sweetness lingers in the back along with some fusel alcohol

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: Looking over the reviews, this beer may have improved over the last few years but it is still not anywhere near the top of list for the style

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

from the bottle. poured a honey with a white head that didn’t stay around very long but left some lacing. aroma sugar, yeast, light fruits like pears, apples. flavor, almost a cotton candy type of sweetness, malts, wow is this beer sweet, almost to the point of being too sweet.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six pack on sale for $6.99. Poured into a Brit style pint glass. Bottled in March 2012. Bright yellow orange color. Good lacing on the glass. Clear body with good carbonation. Smell had a hint of grapefruit and musty hay. Taste was good, as I liked the really malty flavor. Mouthfeel was a bit on the sticky side, though. I found this maibock to be a pretty smooth beer to drink considering the well hidden abv. Not a bad find for the price and with that strength, it held up pretty well over the course of spring into summer.

3.53/5  rDev +5.7%

This is quite an interesting brew. Right when I took the cap off I caught a hint of sewage. I thought it must have been me so I poured the beer like I normally would, not forcefully but nice and easy down the side of the pint glass. At about an inch of actual beer the head blew up and shot to the top of the glass. Huge head! This is bigger than a Duvel. Took a while to pour because the head didn't want to go away. The beer itself is a clear orangish yellow.

Smells like, well...with the huge head on top I caught hints of sewage, sweet kimchi, really dark yellow urine and sweet pear juice. Very weird. It got better as the head fell. Turns into a champaigne scent with some pear.

Tastes much much better. A lot of sweet malt with some pear juice. Bready like a helles but not quite as yeasty in the taste. Slight bubble gum flavor in the finish with a little bit of citrus bite to it. I really like the flavor, different and full. Reminds me of champaigne at times.

The beer is full bodied. Coats the mouth and still has quite a bit of carbonation even after the initial explosion.

I would definately recommend this brew. I may have received a bad bottle, but the taste is good. I just have to get past the first few sniffs.

3.17/5  rDev -5.1%

12oz bottle.

This one poured a medium and hazy golden color wih a large sized off whte head. Aromas of grain, caramel, citrus, lightly spicey and grassy. Tastes of citrus (sour lemons), ligthly spicey and bready. Alcohol content hidden.

Notes from 5/24/07

2.85/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single of this beer at the corner store. Reduced price makes me wonder if it's out of date (can't find a drink-by date or batch number on the bottle.)

Pours a light brown or yellowish color with a full white head. A bit murky throughout.

Smells of wheat and yeast. There is also a lemon-type presence that seems a bit out of place for the style. Pretty sharp on the nose.

Taste is malty with a lot of surprising tartness. Fruity and absolutely no balance.

Mouthfeel is relatively light and crisp. Sharp on the tongue.

On the whole this is not a great beer. Tartness is out of place, leading to my feeling that this may have been out of date. Lack of balance is also a drawback.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

Quite a tasty little brew. There are a lot of very sweet fruit flavors: pears, peaches, apples, and appricots. Very candied with confectionate sugars. The nose suggests that this beer is too sweet to enjoy, but the delicate candied malts and fruits prove otherwise. The appearance worried me at first with an over-carbonated pour that led me to think that an infection may have occured, but this was not the case. A bold, white, loose-knit head formation reminded me a bit of Duvel, but the retention proved to be merely mortal. The beer feels a bit syrupy sweet, leaving it not well attenuated so the mouthfeel gives up what the rich flavors gain. I get only a subtle corn taste late that most BA's describe as dominant- perhaps the 6 months+ age has helped out. Finishes sweet, a bit tacky, and... well fruity-- makes me wonder the temperature or yeast that they used for fermentation. If you like sweet, low-hopped ales, this may be up your alley.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%

Crystal-clear yellow with a thing slightly off-white head. Spicy hop is most prevelant on the nose, all bu hiding a candy-sweet malt note. Light sweet malt is accompanied by a hint of champagne-like esthers. Perhaps this is still a little young?, it tastes slightly acedylhyde-like. Hops are spicy and pleasantly bitter. Lightish body, pleasantly active carbonation makes for a very refreshing brew. Very drinkable, perhaps this needs handling differently. or perhaps the bottle was "off" but minus the champagne/acetylhyde, this would have been spectacular!

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz single, Steve's....tis maibock season in the midwest

appearance: poured into ale asylum pint glass...clear golden orange body that shines in the sunlight, very light beige froth head. pretty standard for the style

smell: malty and corny, maibock sweetness...difficult to make out anything overly distinct

taste: sweet bready malts, green apple, corn and grain. not offensive but not a sparkling interpretation

mouthfeel: medium-ligh, slick

drinkability: fine

2.67/5  rDev -20.1%

Poured into a pint glass.

Not sure what I was expecting with this beer. Atwater has let me down in the past, but this beer is different. It's not bad by any means. The golden color is offset by the huge white head that sticks around forever - it took me at least an hour to drink this and the head never faded. There is plenty of carbonation, but that is subdued with time. Tropical fruit is on the nose - pineapple and maybe some banana. The taste is harder to place with nondescript flavors that are kind of mashed together, but it is distinctly sweet with a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is fine - a little syrupy, but nothing great. It took me a while to finish this one and not because it's a sipper necessarily. The ABV is 7.5%, which is big enough to warrant sipping, but this beer does not get much better as it warms. A decent offering. Mild recommendation.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

A- A clear light orange liquid with a thin and splotchy white head and some streams of carbonation. Looks a bit limp.

S- Honey, almonds, butter, and caramel. Smells relatively light.

T- Sweet fruits, a touch of alcohol, and caramel.

M- A bit astringent from the alcohol. Not very good.

D- Not terrible, but not something I would seek out again. Drinks alright for the ABV.

Atwater Maibock from Atwater Brewery