Atwater Maibock | Atwater Brewery

Availability: Spring

Added by walleye on 06-15-2006

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

4.03/5  rDev +21%

Pours a fizzy straw. Good clarity, but the small bubbly head is not overly appealing.

Smell is biscuits, biscuits, and more biscuits - just what a maibock should be. Hint of grape too.

Taste is bready like the nose, clean finish. Very true to style. Digging this.

Mouthfeel is smooth, drinkable, and less thin than the appearance would lead on.

Really surprised to see the low ratings for this beer. Really a strong showing for an american maibock.

2.5/5  rDev -24.9%

3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

3.41/5  rDev +2.4%

On-Tap

Atwater Maibock poured a slightly cloudy peach like gold color into a pilsner glass forming a nice 2-finger white head that left behind nice rings of lacing. The nose is mild, smells of sweet malt, and a little bready. The taste is similar to the nose but a little heavier with the sweet malt upfront followed by grassy hop bitterness. The mouth feel is, smooth, crisp and dry from the hops
To date, Atwater Maibock is my favorite Atwater brew – worth a try if you like the style.

3.47/5  rDev +4.2%

Dirty orange in color with yellowish hues on the edge of the glass. Very murky. Poured with a short white foam that reduced to a solid white cap. Toasted and biscuit malt flavors with light earthy hop and buttery notes. Medium bodied, a creamy feel through the middle with rich carbonation and a clean finish. Toasted and biscuit malt flavors up front. Bitter flavors build through the middle to the end, but the hop flavor lacks character. Finishes clean and semi-dry with a lingering dull bitterness.

3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a six pack on sale for $6.99. Poured into a Brit style pint glass. Bottled in March 2012. Bright yellow orange color. Good lacing on the glass. Clear body with good carbonation. Smell had a hint of grapefruit and musty hay. Taste was good, as I liked the really malty flavor. Mouthfeel was a bit on the sticky side, though. I found this maibock to be a pretty smooth beer to drink considering the well hidden abv. Not a bad find for the price and with that strength, it held up pretty well over the course of spring into summer.

3.14/5  rDev -5.7%

Extra from FlandersNed. Served in an Alchemist pint glass.

A - Extremely attractive and ample white foam settles to a thin cap, thick collar, and a few splotches of lace. Transparent golden body.

S - Sharp cereal grains, slightly skunky hops, toasted bread, but thankfully minimal alcohol presence. Gets a bit better as it warms up.

T - Flavor is quite similar, with toasted grains, and some lightly fruity malts that suggest pear and apricots. A tad metallic as well.

M - Smooth medium body that is slightly watery, with lower carbonation, and minimal alcohol warmth.

D - This isn't very good, even for a style that I'm lukewarm about to begin with. The main redeeming element is the well-hidden alcohol.

3.04/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Pours a deep golden brown with one finger of white head. Head fades pretty quickly and leaves very little lacing. Also has a lot of suspended material, which is interesting for a lager...

S - Bubblegum, toasted grain and a faint amount of citrus. Pretty good.

T - Taste is similar to smell, with the addition of an unfortunate unpleasant metallic taste, and some herbal hops. Alcohol is not really apparent.

M - Medium mouthfeel is a bit sweet initially, and finishes earthy and dry, again a bit metallic.

O - Not a bad beer, but this is a style I like quite a bit, and this one doesn't really stand out. Also, the metallic aspect really knocks it down a notch.

3.57/5  rDev +7.2%

First Maibock style beer. Gonna be reading up on the style as I review this. Bottle caught my eye on the Build-A-Sixer table, and it was the only one of its kinda that I saw.

A: Pours a nice golden color, with a slight haze to it. Less then a finger's worth of head quickly faded into a nice lace that stuck well to the sides about 1/3 the way thru.

S: Some sweet bready/yeastiness coming thru; actually reminds me of walking into an Auntie Anne's Pretzel Shop when they are working full blast making pretzels. Becomes more prominent as the beer warms. Also picking up some hints of maybe apple/pear? Not totally sure but its close.

T: Interesting flavor. Hops flavor comes thru at the get-go but then leads to a bready taste. Not very sweet like I anticipated from the smell, I think the best I can compare this too is a raison scone or some other dry pastry. Seems like theres a very slight hint of maybe black cherry trying to come thru. Its there for a second but disappears before I can put a finger on it. Maybe an anise cookie?

M: Average carbonation, crisp at first and halfway thru, then moves to a dry feel at the end.

O: Not quite what I was expecting. Nose teases you about a sweetness that never really shows. Def interesting with the breadiness though. I still can't place it other then the two pastries I mentioned above. Curious what other thought of this. Also very interested in trying some other Maibocks to compare. Will def keep an eye open from now on.

4.47/5  rDev +34.2%

I picked up a six pack of Atwater's Maibock last week for $9.99 at Meijers. I have never had this style before and I didn't even know Atwater made one till I saw it on the shelf, so lets see how it goes. 2012 spring release, bottled Feb. 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- It has the same old label that most of their beers have, but for some reason the blue color really looks good on the label and it catches the eye, I like it. It poured a nice slightly hazy golden yellow color that looked pretty nice and it had three fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end and left some nice rings of lacing. This a good looking beer, no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a very noticeable bubblegum aroma that I like and have never had a beer where the bubblegum aroma stands out as much as it does. Following that is some bready and sweet grainy aromas that go nicely with the bubblegum. I also pick up some earthy hops towards the end. This beer has a very good and unique aroma, I can't stop smelling it.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma but it isn't as heavy on the bubblegum as the aroma was. It starts out with loads of nice grainy malts that impart some grain and lots of bread and biscuit flavors. After that comes a slight sweet flavor followed by a small amount of bubble gum that leads back into some more bready malts. Towards the end I get some earthy and slightly grassy hops that impart a medium amount of bitterness that brings some nice balance and it has a very bready aftertaste. I enjoyed the flavor of this beer, the flavors were clean and simple, with just enough bitterness to balance everything out,, very well done.

M- Very smooth, a little creamy, crisp, refreshing, on the lighter side of being medium bodied and it had just the right amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked very well with this beer, I found nothing wrong with it.

Overall I have to say that I was pretty surprised with this beer and I ended up really liking it and I thought it was a pretty damn good Maibock, I don't have any experience with this style but I really like the fact that it is suppose to be a drinkable spring beer, flavorful but light enough to enjoy a few during the day while chilling outside, this beer has inspired me to seek out more of this style and try some traditional Maibocks. This beer was super drinkable, it never lasts long in my glass and goes great with some grilling outside and it paired great with some beer brats, I could drink a six pack of this throughout the day if I wanted to, as far as Bocks go I don't think they get much more drinkable then this. What I liked most about this beer was everything, this beer was firing on all cylinders and I thought every aspect was well done. There wasn't anything I didn't like about this beer, I couldn't find anything at all that was wrong with it, which isn't all that common. I will be buying more of this and have already got another six pack, I think everyone should give this beer a try, even my mom liked it and that doesn't happen often. I was really impressed with this beer, Atwater has a way of disappointing me a couple times in a row and just when I start to lower my expectations they come out of nowhere with an unexpectedly great beer, and that was the case with this beer, a very pleasant surprise. I can't say enough good things about this beer, and I am glad I took a chance on it, good job guys, this may be my choice beverage of the spring. So far this is my favorite Maibock, and one of my favorite beers from Atwater. All in all a great beer

3.53/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured one and a half bottles into a half liter stein with a full golden/brass color with a blooming one and a half finger white head atop.Toasted grain sweetish alcohol in the nose,a faint iron note as well.Not as full and sweet as alot of maibocks but it's got a nice firm toastiness and a tinge of anise,it misses on some character traits but hits on a few others.Not as full as I would have liked in the mouthfeel but I think it's a little better than the ratings may suggest,not top tier but ok...

3.08/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance: Bursts out with a massive head that sits atop the hazy golden liquid; looks good once it settles down but way too much head at the outset

Smell: Bread and butterscotch

Taste: Bready opening, but the butterscotch quickly becomes dominant; by mid-palate, there is a developing herbacious character that becomes somewhat grainy in the finish, though the sweetness lingers in the back along with some fusel alcohol

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate to high carbonation; some warmth in the gullet

Overall: Looking over the reviews, this beer may have improved over the last few years but it is still not anywhere near the top of list for the style

3.63/5  rDev +9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1 inch head, considerable lacing throughout. Smell is full of malts, somewhat sweet. Taste is also malty, sweet, some hops are present, good flavor. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is very drinkable. Overall this is a good quality beer.

3.56/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours hazy amber color which clears up a little after it settles and had a two finger creamy foamy tan head that lasted a few minutes; good lacing that left layers.

Smells of malt, hops and caramel; very mild nose, but decent overall.

Tastes of sweet malt, lemon, light floral hops, caramel, grains, yeast, grape and vanilla; sweet malty ending that trails with a crisp grainy finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light, almost creamy; very mild carbonation that goes down silky smooth with an almost watery feel.

Very drinkable with a nice balance that is malt centric and showed no signs of the 7.5% ABV. Overall a good beer.

Atwater Maibock from Atwater Brewery