Atwater Maibock | Atwater Brewery

Style: Maibock / Helles Bock

Availability: Spring

Added by walleye on 06-15-2006

3.57/5  rDev +7.2%

A: Pours a clear brownish gold, with big head up front, but dissipates quickly into, well, nothing. Some sediment floating around as well.

S: Incredibly malty. Has a nice biscuity/bready smell, with a definite fruity scent in the background.

T: Follows the nose closely. Huge amount of malt, but big time apple flavor too, which is welcomed. A lot of sweet caramel in there.

M: Very well carbonated, ends up being almost creamy.

D: Pretty high, especially for 7% ABV. Worth a try.

3.16/5  rDev -5.1%

Poured decently from the tap, not much head, so it just looks like a fuller glass, yay. Golden in color, cloudy in transparency. No smell that I can detect. Tastes sweet and bready, maybe yeasty, with a decent feel to it. Smooth and easy, a carbonation level to my preference, more moderate to low from this experience. I could barely believe the %ABV on this one because it was a very easy drink. It seems a very average beer, but there's an easiness to it that'l' have me order it again next time I see it, or pick it up if I see it in a bottle. This beer is very much worth a try.

3.77/5  rDev +13.2%

notched feb 10

pours clear bright gold with a 1+ finger head that left no lacing

smells very bready lots of cereal grains

taste is again is very bready and sweat with some fruity hop semi bitter hops with a bit of an apple flavor

mouthfeel is light medium - very smooth with good carbonation

drinkability is good and would seek out this maibock next year

3.56/5  rDev +6.9%

Clear dark brass with a fine tan head that leaves sliding lace on the glass. Green apple skin and creamed corn in the nose. Thankfully this brew tastes way better than it smells. Untoasted grainy flavors with citric and floral hop notes in the finish. Light bodied with mild carbonation. Pretty easy drinking for a relatively strong Maibock.

3.1/5  rDev -6.9%

A- A clear light orange liquid with a thin and splotchy white head and some streams of carbonation. Looks a bit limp.

S- Honey, almonds, butter, and caramel. Smells relatively light.

T- Sweet fruits, a touch of alcohol, and caramel.

M- A bit astringent from the alcohol. Not very good.

D- Not terrible, but not something I would seek out again. Drinks alright for the ABV.

3.68/5  rDev +10.5%

Color: brilliantly clear, slightly burnished gold

Smell: strong malt presence with low DMS and a hint of fruitiness. some toast and melanoidin presence. low amounts of spicy hops

Taste: rich Pils malt character with notes of toast and some melanoidins and a moderate presence of spicy/peppery hops. light DMS flavor. medium bitterness. finish is somewhat dry with both malt and hop presence

Mouthfeel: low-medium to medium body. moderately carbonated.

Notes: a good strong, malty lager with a bit of spicy flavor from hops

3.48/5  rDev +4.5%

A perfect transparent amber toned copper body with a very slight off white head. Smells very malty with a tiny hint of hops. Taste is very malty and a good blend. Reminds me of A little bit of an English ale. Somewhat of a bitter bite with the after taste. Not a bad brew.
Cheers.

3.28/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured into a mug.

A: Hazy golden color with a slight orange tint. Fizzy and bubbly white head had decent retention.

S: Fairly sweet nose with some toasty notes and a hint of ripe fruit. A distinct, almost chalky lager aroma is also noticeable.

T: Again, somewhat sweet to start, with an almost puckering, fruity quality. Minimal hop bitterness. Also present is a strange, soap-like quality, which I know is no fault of the glass, which I carefully washed and rinsed. Interesting to say the least.

M: Substantial enough, yet still on the heavier side of light-bodied. Pretty decent carbonation with a wet, cleansing finish.

D: Drinks easily enough. An okay warm-weather choice.

Other than that strange taste I detected, nothing too particularly memorable about this beer. Pretty easy drinking and I managed to enjoy the overall experience. Not sure that I would purchase again.

3.17/5  rDev -4.8%

12oz bottle.

This one poured a medium and hazy golden color wih a large sized off whte head. Aromas of grain, caramel, citrus, lightly spicey and grassy. Tastes of citrus (sour lemons), ligthly spicey and bready. Alcohol content hidden.

Notes from 5/24/07

3.23/5  rDev -3%

Quite a tasty little brew. There are a lot of very sweet fruit flavors: pears, peaches, apples, and appricots. Very candied with confectionate sugars. The nose suggests that this beer is too sweet to enjoy, but the delicate candied malts and fruits prove otherwise. The appearance worried me at first with an over-carbonated pour that led me to think that an infection may have occured, but this was not the case. A bold, white, loose-knit head formation reminded me a bit of Duvel, but the retention proved to be merely mortal. The beer feels a bit syrupy sweet, leaving it not well attenuated so the mouthfeel gives up what the rich flavors gain. I get only a subtle corn taste late that most BA's describe as dominant- perhaps the 6 months+ age has helped out. Finishes sweet, a bit tacky, and... well fruity-- makes me wonder the temperature or yeast that they used for fermentation. If you like sweet, low-hopped ales, this may be up your alley.

1.6/5  rDev -52%

Polished tangerine with goldenrod borders. Atop the pristine liquid sits three fingers of manila colored foam that is whipped creamy and displays admirable persistence. A wide band of lace is beginning to appear as the head slowly melts. Could this possibly be a good beer from Atwater Block? Hard to imagine.

Uh... no. Not even close. How can a beer that looks this good smell this bad? The aroma is akin to moldy creamed corn stored too long in its tin can. Where is the malt, the hops, the beer-like qualities. I have now become a little afraid of upending the glass.

Atwater Block Mai-Bock tastes as bad as it smells. Since I can't improve on the above description, I won't try. Just think of any rotting vegetable matter made into a lightly sweet liquid and you'll get some idea of how this crap tastes. The only question is whether or not it deserves the lowest possible score.

Although I can't keep from hesitating each time the glass nears my lips... and can't keep from grimacing each time beer contacts taste buds... and since I've had worse... I'll have to go with the next-to-lowest score. Drinkability, however, is another story. Is another sip really necessary to assess the mouthfeel? Here goes...

Not impressed. It's too thin, though not watery, and is lazily carbonated. Forget further detail because I refuse to punish myself by drinking any more of this nauseating beer.

I'm flabbergasted that Atwater Block continues to keep their doors open. Mai-Bock is my seventh brew from this brewery and is the worst of a very nasty lot. What are the odds that I've gotten ahold of seven (seven!) bad bottles... from three different stores... in two different states... at two separate times? Since Cold Spring (formerly Gluek) has improved some of their products, I hereby nominate these guys for America's worst microbrewery. Gack!

2.67/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured into a pint glass.

Not sure what I was expecting with this beer. Atwater has let me down in the past, but this beer is different. It's not bad by any means. The golden color is offset by the huge white head that sticks around forever - it took me at least an hour to drink this and the head never faded. There is plenty of carbonation, but that is subdued with time. Tropical fruit is on the nose - pineapple and maybe some banana. The taste is harder to place with nondescript flavors that are kind of mashed together, but it is distinctly sweet with a slightly bitter finish. Mouthfeel is fine - a little syrupy, but nothing great. It took me a while to finish this one and not because it's a sipper necessarily. The ABV is 7.5%, which is big enough to warrant sipping, but this beer does not get much better as it warms. A decent offering. Mild recommendation.

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%

Nice copper/golden pour - 2 inch thick foamy head. These MN boys are nuts...no metallic smell, nice carmel and slight malty aroma. Decent finish...sweet with a slight hoppiness. Atwater never hops their beer much, and this one is no exception.

Has a 7+% alcohol content, it is well masked. Decent mouthfeel and nice lacing.

As Maibocks go, this is ok. Not the best, but come on...it is not an F. You MN boys must have had a 6 pack that was over exposed to light or something...I know the Atwater folks well, and they make decent beer. Not anything worthy of an F.

1.06/5  rDev -68.2%

Golden body. Very hazy. LOTS of CO2 bubbles apparant. Big frothy rocky white head. (All signs that maybe this is a bit too carbonated.) Chemical smell of sulfur and of an electrical fire. Awful aroma. Carbonation is too high. The electrical fire aroma translates nicely over to the palate (or not nicely in this case). This beer is highly flawed. This is the first beer I will actually pour down the drain in years.

1.47/5  rDev -55.9%

This is not a very good beer.

Positives:

-Mild doughy/bready aroma

Negatives:

-Too carbonated (much too carbonated actually)
-Some apple like fruitiness on the aroma
-Hazy appearance. Does not look like a clean lager.
-Taste includes a strong grassy hoppiness, butterscotch, apple peal, and cooked vegetables. Add it all up and this is the worst tasting maibock I have encountered.

This tastes nothing like a maibock or lager and tossing out the category this just doesn't appeal to me.

2.27/5  rDev -31.8%

Medium gold with a healthy stack of white froth that both retains and laces well.
Nose is loud and full of sweet creamed corn. It's absolutely monolithic, and a little traumatic, as it flashes me back to 8 years old and my mother's insistence that I not go outside and play baseball until those last two dumptruck-sized spoonfuls of said corn preparation were consumed. All jokes and anecdotes aside, the aroma is not attractive, and lacks any sort of depth via backup tones. Simple and flawed, though quite potent and off-putting.
It fares slightly better in the mouth. Creamed corn is still a major player, and probably THE major player, and I'm still very uneasy about it, but here at least it has company. Low levels of vanilla and butterscotch (which is out of place in itself) and bruised pear waver in and out. It concludes with a grassy hop flavor and bitterness that, while minor, serves to slake the mouth clean.
Slick textured, medium body with a low-level carbonation. I can't blame anything on how it feels.
There are big elements of this that I don't like at all. Some of it is my fault with my neuroses and biases, but the majority of the blame falls on the beer.

3.6/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

12oz single, Steve's....tis maibock season in the midwest

appearance: poured into ale asylum pint glass...clear golden orange body that shines in the sunlight, very light beige froth head. pretty standard for the style

smell: malty and corny, maibock sweetness...difficult to make out anything overly distinct

taste: sweet bready malts, green apple, corn and grain. not offensive but not a sparkling interpretation

mouthfeel: medium-ligh, slick

drinkability: fine

3.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Very nice,clear,carbonated yellow body that sits beneath a thick white head that falls pretty fast.

There is a distinct smell there.It has a sour smell.

There is a sour taste to this so Im not sure if its bad or if its the way it taste.There is some nice malt to it at the begining.

Nice carbonation and easy to drink.

I dont think I would be able to drink to many of these in a sitting due to the sourness.

Pours out to a bright and dense yellow in the glass with a good-sized head. The aroma is slightly sweet, with a faint hint of marshmallows coming to the forefront. The taste is very good, with a slight sweetness on the sip giving way to a nice dose of hops on the swallow that turn off that sweetness. This tastes like a fully loaded lager. I dig it. Nicely done.

3.53/5  rDev +6%

This is quite an interesting brew. Right when I took the cap off I caught a hint of sewage. I thought it must have been me so I poured the beer like I normally would, not forcefully but nice and easy down the side of the pint glass. At about an inch of actual beer the head blew up and shot to the top of the glass. Huge head! This is bigger than a Duvel. Took a while to pour because the head didn't want to go away. The beer itself is a clear orangish yellow.

Smells like, well...with the huge head on top I caught hints of sewage, sweet kimchi, really dark yellow urine and sweet pear juice. Very weird. It got better as the head fell. Turns into a champaigne scent with some pear.

Tastes much much better. A lot of sweet malt with some pear juice. Bready like a helles but not quite as yeasty in the taste. Slight bubble gum flavor in the finish with a little bit of citrus bite to it. I really like the flavor, different and full. Reminds me of champaigne at times.

The beer is full bodied. Coats the mouth and still has quite a bit of carbonation even after the initial explosion.

I would definately recommend this brew. I may have received a bad bottle, but the taste is good. I just have to get past the first few sniffs.

3.55/5  rDev +6.6%

Received from fellow BA HombreWing who in return received "The Pineapple" in me casa. No date on this guy. Poured into a flute glass. Really excited to try this one since it's my favorite stlye.

A-Pours less than 1 finger head that goes down to nothing. Golden in color with lots of bubbles rising upward.

S-Smells like a Maibock!! Oh, well it's malty and sweet. Apricots are the dominant fruit smell. Some hints of Pineapple also.

T-First sip gave me a little bit of tartness that I wasn't expecting. However, this grew on me. I feel like it may be a stronger apricot taste than I'm used to. Carmel malts and some hints of alcohol exist also. Pretty good.

M-Pretty good carbonation. Slick mouth feel and a little warming from the alcohol. Almost typical of style.

D-Pretty high ABV tends to limit the drinkability of this one. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste since it may have been sitting a little while. I love this style and this one was pretty close. Don't think I would have tried this if it wasn't a Maibock, but pretty good.

Cheers,
Scott

3.95/5  rDev +18.6%

A little sweeter and hoppier than typical bocks. Lighter in color as well. It's got a fruity-like aftertaste. This beer is not as harsh or muddy as some seven-and-a-half percent alcohol beers. I like it. I like it quite a bit. I'm going to open another right now and support our struggling Detroit economy.

3.18/5  rDev -4.5%

Appears a crystal clear honey golden forms a large beige head forms leaves light sparse lace chunks as the head dwindles down. Aroma has a doughy sweetness light lemongrass sweetness herbal hops distinct biscuit malt tartness in there as well, fruity components bring some green apple and mild apricot tones. Flavor not so smooth a rough graininess that I usually detect in Atwater Block bottle openings kinda rough bitterness with leafy flavors doesn't meld so well a sour grainy finish with some traces of malty fruit tones. Mouthfeel is medium bodied again carbonation issues from this Atwater offering a bit higher than I would like. Drinkability is decent but by no means as clean and crips as a well made maibock should be kinda disappointing froma seasonal bottled offering from any micro.

3.65/5  rDev +9.6%

Sampled on 6-13-07

Pours a crystal clear gold, with a nice bubbly head that sticks around.

Smell is bready and slightly sweet. A light amount of hops is in there too.

Taste is good, sweet and malty with a good grassy hop kick at the end. The finish is smooth and clean, with a little breadiness.

Mouthfeel is good, spicy carbonation balances the sweet malt.

Drinkabiltiy is good, although it's definately on the sweet side. A good lager with lots of flavor, good for summertime.

3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

pours a nice golden color. bone colored head, nice amount of foaming and some lace.
floral nose, but nothing really to it.
Nice taste. very sweet and malty, finished with a nice crisp hop taste. Good combo, with hints of ginger in there.
Sweet,clean, and crisp, all in all a very good beer to sit and enjoy any time of the year. get it if you are in the mood for something drinkable and flavor filled

Atwater Maibock from Atwater Brewery