Atwater Vanilla Java Porter | Atwater Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Ratings: 1,793 |  Reviews: 545

3.01/5  rDev -13%

Opaque dark brown to black. You could view an eclipse through this and your retinas would survive. Medium tan head with a bit of lacing.

Medium roast coffee and vanilla aroma with a hint of earthy malt.

Flavor is mostly vanilla with some coffee and roasted malt. Low hop bitterness and no obvious ethanol.

Light, thin body with medium carbonation.

I really wanted to like this -- porter, coffee, vanilla -- what's not to like? But the overall impression is too thin and watery. Also the vanilla seems somehow artificial. When I tried my first bottle I was underwhelmed so I waited a week and tried another bottle, this time letting it warm some. That helped a bit but I'm still disappointed by the thin body and not enough complexity.

3.04/5  rDev -12.1%

Poured a dark black into a standard pint.

This had very little smell...Looking for some vanilla here. Just a hint. Nothing else.

No head whatsover. It looked thin and, after the first sip, mouthfeel coincided with the look of this brew.

The taste...Not much vanilla (slight) or coffee. Mildly bitter in the finish. Pretty weak.

3.94/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer was my introduction to real craft beer. Before this, I drank decent stuff, like Blue Moon, Shock Top and some Leinenkugel's. I still like Summer Shandy's in the Summer, but VJP was my first, craft, dark porter I ever liked, and introduced my the this world.

Appearance: Coca Cola... My first thought. Dark, but with red tinge around the edges. Light does shine through.

Smell: This is the best part of this beer. The vanilla over powers the Java.

Taste: Again Vanilla over powers the Java. The Vanilla tastes a bit artificial. I'd like for there to be more coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy. My kind of beer.

Overall: As I said this was the beer that introduced my to the craft beer world. While it's no longer my favorite, I will still gladly drink this beer with enjoyment.

3.37/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, dark brown, passes no light. Almost no head, minimal lace.

S: Vanilla and sweet malt.

T: Leads with vanilla, that carries through the beer. The sweet malts come in after the vanilla and carry to the end. There is a mild roasty note that underlays the beer after the initial hit of vanilla, and that carries almost to the end. There is a maltiness that lingers after the finish.

M: Heavy feeling body, with a soft feel. Some carbonation, but not prickly.

O: A decent vanilla porter, but not great. This is a sweet, mildly roasted, vanilla porter, which is truthfully just not my style, but I'm glad I tried it. It was enjoyable, to taste, but I really think to get into it, one needs to be a fan of this style.

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery