Atwater Vanilla Java Porter | Atwater Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Ratings: 1,778 |  Reviews: 539
3.94/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer was my introduction to real craft beer. Before this, I drank decent stuff, like Blue Moon, Shock Top and some Leinenkugel's. I still like Summer Shandy's in the Summer, but VJP was my first, craft, dark porter I ever liked, and introduced my the this world.

Appearance: Coca Cola... My first thought. Dark, but with red tinge around the edges. Light does shine through.

Smell: This is the best part of this beer. The vanilla over powers the Java.

Taste: Again Vanilla over powers the Java. The Vanilla tastes a bit artificial. I'd like for there to be more coffee flavor.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy. My kind of beer.

Overall: As I said this was the beer that introduced my to the craft beer world. While it's no longer my favorite, I will still gladly drink this beer with enjoyment.

3.37/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Dark, dark brown, passes no light. Almost no head, minimal lace.

S: Vanilla and sweet malt.

T: Leads with vanilla, that carries through the beer. The sweet malts come in after the vanilla and carry to the end. There is a mild roasty note that underlays the beer after the initial hit of vanilla, and that carries almost to the end. There is a maltiness that lingers after the finish.

M: Heavy feeling body, with a soft feel. Some carbonation, but not prickly.

O: A decent vanilla porter, but not great. This is a sweet, mildly roasted, vanilla porter, which is truthfully just not my style, but I'm glad I tried it. It was enjoyable, to taste, but I really think to get into it, one needs to be a fan of this style.

3.99/5  rDev +22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A - pours a dark brown color with a small cream colored head with a small amount of lacing. This is the only disappointment of the beer, but by no means terrible.

S - as expected a strong coffee smell with sweet vanilla. Can tell that there is some complexity to the beer.

T - excellent taste of vanilla at first followed by a cream taste and finishing with bitter coffee. Kind of resembles a cream soda taste. Good balance but just a little too sweet.

M - medium bodied and very smooth slightly dry.

O - terrific beer mostly because of its complex taste. One of my favorites!

2.5/5  rDev -23.5%