Atwater Vanilla Java Porter | Atwater Brewery

Added by ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Ratings: 1,784 |  Reviews: 540

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

3.8/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I loved the smell of this beer, but it was a little much for me. Maybe it's just a taste I have to get used to. I didn't really taste much of the vanilla, but there was definitely a very strong coffee taste- but black coffee. I have a few bottles left, so maybe I'll experiment with it. Overall, not bad at all, just not my favorite!

2.75/5  rDev -15.9%

3.24/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours witha dark cola color and slight head, almost the same as a glass of cola. Head disappears quickly. Aroma of vanilla and maybe slight chocolate---no smell of coffee. Letting it warm slightly gives more vanilla aroma.
Taste is vanilla beer with slight bitterness from coffee after taste. Mouthfeel is thin compared to most. Overall this is not offensive in any way and somewhat easy to drink compared to most porters since it seems somewhat "light". I would prefer more malt.

3.59/5  rDev +9.8%

Since stouts are my favorites, just step down a notch and when I was brewing my own, porters were my choice.
Unfortunately, we had this one from the bottle, so I could not really detail the look and appearance of this brew, so I remained neutral. But even from the bottle, you could get generous amounts of coffee swirling around the bottle as if you were ready to have a nice cup of vanilla java coffee!

The taste did not disappoint me, but I just felt it was a bit on the light side. This might be unfair of me, since, I understand porters in general are a little lighter than stocks. I've been drinking so many stocks lately, that I may have made an unfair compassion.

But still, even on the light side, this was full of flavor. The vanilla didn't come out as much as the strong coffee, taste and the java was so smooth.

3.23/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery