Atwater Vanilla Java Porter | Atwater Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by ypsifly on 10-21-2006

Ratings: 1,807 |  Reviews: 548
3.56/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Perhaps it's not the world's best balanced porter, but I'm thoroughly enjoying it and as a Canadian with rare allotments of border crossing beer cache, not at all sad to have a bought a 6 pack.

Pours a thin cola colour, as other reviewers have suggested, but has some head and is sufficiently carbonated to be a decently drinking beer despite the thinness. Aroma is pure vanilla and caramel, although I distinctly remember a coffee bitterness in earlier bottles that I can no longer find in this ~3 month old remainder. The flavour is also not particularly well balanced, but a lovely dessert beer with great vanilla and caramelized malt notes. It is sweet, but that makes the mild bittering hops more distinct and it has a pleasant finish - no syrupy sweetness in the end.

Have never been to Atwater, but hope to make a stop on next beercation in that area.

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.25/5  rDev -6.1%

2.75/5  rDev -20.5%

3.04/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: I made the mistake of reading the reviews prior to trying this one, particularly the last reviewer, who said it looked like "a Vanilla Coke". Now all I see is a Vanilla Coke. Pretty dark, but not much carbonation or head.

S: Smell is not strong at all, some light vanilla and mocha maybe.

T: Vanilla isn't as strong as I was expecting based off of the reviews on BA. While the vanilla is certainly there, the mocha taste comes through just as strong for me. The vanilla is far more pronounced in the aftertaste, which is pretty damn good actually.

F: Fairly light-bodied. Not much carbonation.

Overall: Despite all of its flaws, I honestly like this beer. It's easy to drink, fairly flavorful, and pulls off the coffee-beer balance. Not a favorite or anything but I'd have it again.

4.25/5  rDev +22.8%

1.9/5  rDev -45.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Wow, a porter with vanilla and coffee? What a flavor combination--sign me up!

Okay so this looks closer to a Coke than a Porter. Pours a thin, clear brown. Smell is lots of vanilla with not much else. I like vanilla, but where's the java and the porter?

Taste: Way, WAY too sweet, way too much vanilla. There's no trace of coffee or even porter in this. It tastes like they put together a random black beer and dumped a whole bottle of vanilla extract into it with a bunch of sugar or other sweetener. I can handle overdone flavors, especially vanilla (I always put about twice the recommended amount of extract into things when baking) but this is absolutely sick. I feel terrible saying this but I literally could not finish the second half of my glass because I started to get physically ill.

Barf. Between this and the "Decadent Dark Chocolate" disaster I can't say that I have any desire to buy Atwater again.

3.48/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz , notched February 2013

very dark brown, almost black. little head. sweet vanilla aroma. sugary, but not really any coffee. taste is more balanced, starts a bit sweet, finishes slightly roasty. medium to thicker body, medium to higher carbonation. overall just an okay porter.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%

3.66/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

While the overall beer drinking experience lives up to its "Vanilla Java Porter" title well, it is never overly impressive. It is very drinkable, I could see myself enjoying a six pack throughout an evening, but the flavor is weaker than I was hoping for.

3.42/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Atwater Vanilla Java Porter from Atwater Brewery