Atwater Winterbock | Atwater Brewery

3.3/5
Alströms:

1.5/5  rDev -54.5%

1.55/5  rDev -53%

my old man picked me up a case of their Block Party mix pack for $10.99. a CASE! how could I turn down such a deal? I was pretty stoked to try this stuff and of the 4 beers in here only one is drinkable (the Dunkel). They are all overcarbonated and taste like a bad extract homebrew.

This particular brew exhibits harsh flavors and the 'twang' you get from a typical amateur homebrew.

I could only hope that the reason they are selling these off this cheap is to get rid of the product, but is that really doing this brewery any good?! I certainly would not purchase again.

1.55/5  rDev -53%

Well-bodied and glassy ruby red look. One finger of rose-white head. Nice, deliberate carbonation. Looks really nice.

Very very sour aroma, but in a metallic, cherry medicine way. Pure cough syrup. Downright unappetizing. Hint of grapefruit/citrus.

Severely sour malt taste. Puckery but not in a good way. Like a sweet tart dipped in Robitussin. Sour, cloying saccharine cherry. Not a good tasting beer.

The feel is creamy and fizzy. Good enough. Not a good beer, sorry to say. I could finish about half and then I had to dump the rest down the drain. Too bad really.

1.98/5  rDev -40%

12 oz. bottle.

Maple syrup cola. Clean and clear. Solid finger of dirty khaki brown head. Sugary cookie and maple syrup malts on the nose along with cooked vegetable twang, and a woody sourness. Taste is dominated by sour infection and mineral water bitterness. Blech. Drainpour. I don't know why I gave Atwater another chance with their bottles, but never again.

2.25/5  rDev -31.8%

2.28/5  rDev -30.9%

Pours dark with a reddish tone. The aroma is good and makes you want to take a drink. Unfortunately once you take a drink your taste buds are assaulted by a barrage of sour cherry. At first you think that it could have been a mistake but so you cleanse your palette and attempt another drink only to be met again with the lingering taste of sour cherries. Carbonation is average to slightly higher than average.

2.36/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance: Pours a dark amber color with a tan head that fades rather quickly without leaving much lacing behind

Smell: Difficult to pick up to much on the nose, but what there is happens to have a sour wood aroma

Taste: The sour wood and cherry flavors arrive up front - interesting for a Flanders Red, but not for a bock; after the swallow, there are a lot of phenolics, as well, that are downright unacceptable

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I'm afraid this one is a drain pour

2.43/5  rDev -26.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep reddish brown color with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of strong vanilla, spices, caramelized malts and a touch of hops.

T: The taste is malty and intensely sweet and spicy up front with flavors of vanilla, caramel and a weird minty & woody bite to it that just throws everything completely off. There's a mild hops presence. The after-taste is slight sweet.

M: Crisp but not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Flavorful but the awkward taste is tough to get past, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style. I wasn't very hopeful but gave the beer a fighting chance. I poured it and the look and smell made me think it might be pretty good. However it all went downhill from there once I tasted it.

2.43/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours rubyish brown with a thin tan head that becomes patchy, then disappears.

The smell is of mild sour fruitiness.

The tase is of sour cherries - sourness leans towards vinegar. Chalky, with some chocolate ina cocoa powder way. The sweetness and any hint of rich maltiness, which does try to peek through at times, is detracted by the underlying sourness. It has a tangy finish.

Mild-to-moderate carbonation. Not thin, but thin for style.

An odd brew with sourness and astringency that detract too much. This brewery is 0-3 for me. Getting rid of this underlying sourness that isn't quite right here would help - I noticed it in the other two as well (esp. the Voodoovator). This doesn't work for me, but I was almost able to finish it, because the malt has some potential, but can't compete with detractors.

2.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Appearance: red/brown in color, clear, 1 inch head, medium carbonation

Smell: toasted malt and grain

Taste: toasted malt, grain, caramel,cinnamon, and toffee

Mouthfeel: medium/light body, medium carbonation, semi-sweet

Drinkability: A below average bock that loses its charm as it warms. The alcohol is high and I really had no desire to finish it after getting half way through. Will pass on in the future. The taste just did not come together for me.

2.56/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

2.58/5  rDev -21.8%

Have to say, this definately wasn't what I was expecting when trying this one.

The color is a Dark Amber Color that had a light brown/off white head

The smell is sweet, but I couldn't distinquish a notable hint of anything.

The taste was decent, wasn't really that strong of a bock, kind of a weaker after taste, but at the same time was smooth.

Not a strong mouthfeel as the beer was quite smooth, and not overbearing

The beer was drinkable but nothing I'd really consider buying again if I didn't have to. Had a little bit higher expectations for it, but I can see that it has the possibility in being a good beer.

2.6/5  rDev -21.2%

A - Dark reddish in color with dark tones.
S - Cherry and wheat.
T - Expected like a winter warmer with spice but got.. malt cherry. And ugh like a sour hit in the finish.
M - Bark like flavor and malt is thinner than expected.
D - Having a hard time finishing the glass but it's not nasty enough for a drain pour.

I had their Vanilla Java Porter and it was pretty good but with the name "winter bock" I guess it achieved a sort of sour bitter cherry wheat beer.

2.63/5  rDev -20.3%

I got this beer in a mixed twelve pack from Atwater. It's another cold winter night in mid Michigan so a winter bock sounds like a good choice. Poured from a 12oz brown bottle into a pint glass.

A- This beer pours a very dark brown color with a finger and a half worth of off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed the rest of the time.

S- The aroma is dominated by lot of caramel malts with some metallic tones to it, I can also pick up a small amount of dark fruits.

T- Just like the aroma there is some caramel malts sweetness and some dark fruits that make up the main flavors of this beer. After taking a couple sips I find this beer tastes pretty similar to Shorts Bellaire Brown. The metallic taste carried on from the aroma which was a little off putting.

M- Medium bodied with descent carbonation.

D- Drinkability is average at best. I would possibly have another one but only if there wasn't anything better to chose from, but the alcohol was well hidden.

Overall this was an average bock, there was nothing that made it stick out from all the other bocks and the metallic taste was off putting. I don't think I will revisit this beer anytime soon.

2.66/5  rDev -19.4%

Saw this in Total Wine, thought I'd give it a go as I'm pretty big on Bocks. Have to say, I was really disappointed. It looked good in the glass: nice head, good color. Smell seemed OK too, though perhaps a tad weak. Upon initial taste, I was hit by bitterness, almost sour, and considerable carbonation. After that, I really didn't taste much. Definitely not very malty (or sweet, as the bottle claimed it was). In fact, not very flavorful at all -- certainly not what I expect from a Bock. The very thin, watery mouthfeel didn't help, either.

Maybe I got a bad bottle but this is only one of maybe three beers that I have actually tipped down the sink after a few mouthfuls. Very disappointing.

2.67/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours into a dark bodied drink that has a large tan head with not much retention or lacing, I didn't notice much carbonation either.
The smell is of black cherries, bananas, sugar, molasses, and caramel, while the taste is a brown sugary syrupy taste with a hint of cherries and caramel that is rather weak. The after taste is a rather sour citrus fruit that spoiled. The mouth feel is very sticky and doesn't give any pleasure to the mouth at all. It would be a drinkable drink if it wasn't such a terrible beer. I know that Atwater Winter Bock is on my avoid this beer at all costs list.

Atwater Winterbock from Atwater Brewery