Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPA | Atwater Brewery

atwaterbeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by oberon on 06-12-2010

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

underwhelmed by this one. too balanced to really fall into the double ipa category for me, and a little more malt richness than the beer really needs. a touch of caramel malt has given this a nice bronze color, and its heady at the pour but it settles quickly. nose and taste are very similar, and both unimpressive for the style. im not getting the big hops at all, this is more like a strong pale ale than anything, and has a little english grain flair to it that pushes it further away from the style guidelines and from what my palate looks for in a big ipa. it does hide its alcohol well under some hop bitterness, but i need more to move me in this crowded style. drinkable enough honestly, but i am not particularly interested in more than one. not bad, just not hop forward enough.

3.66/5  rDev +1.9%

This poured out as a nice looking golden color with a touch of haziness to it. The head was soapy looking and it left a good lacing on the glass. The smell of the beer was ok, but as I drank it I felt that it got a little funky. The taste of the beer was crisp and bitter, has the taste of a solid DIPA. The mouthfeel was clean and medium bodied with a nice carbonation to it also. Overall this beer wasn't pretty good, I love the name of it which is why I picked it up in the first place. It's not a bad DIPA, I would probably drink it again.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled June 2012. Pours a hazy orange amber color with a 1-2 finger fairly dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Some good foamy lacing clings to the glass as well. Aromas of caramel, bread, grass, orange, mango, pine, earth, and herbal spiciness. Pretty good aromas with decent strength and balance; a bit too herbal and grassy. Taste of orange, grapefruit, pine, caramel, biscuit, floral, and herbal spiciness. Fair amount of pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of orange, grapefruit, pine, caramel, grass, and herbal spiciness on the finish for a bit. Good flavor balance; with a nice malt/bitterness balance as well. No cloying flavors or astringent bitterness; a pretty clean finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with only a small warming after the finish noticed. Overall this is a good DIPA. Some good hop/malt balanced flavors, and very smooth to sip on. Quite pleasant and enjoyable for a DIPA. It is unlike most that are in your face with a lot of hops and bitterness.

3.04/5  rDev -15.3%

On tap at the Mellow Mushroom in Greensboro.I looked around for this beer and there isnt much information about it,kinda surprised to see it on tap down here.Poured a a mix of amber and burnt orange,a large fluffy white crown atop.Very muted aromas with mainly just a passing whiff of leafy hop and sweet alcohol.Flavors are much like the aromas meaning very light and ho hum,leafy hop and sweetsh caramel malt with a shot of the sweet alcohol.To me its nothing like a DIPA,not big hops,not much complexity,just sweetness.Eh another Atwater beer to not have again.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was at The Friendly Greek recently, picking up some lovely bombers and having a draft while doing so when one of my constituents walked in. He was in the market for some IPAs and DIPAs and asked if I could recommend some. I helped him to get a mixed-six and steered him over to a four-pack of this beer. I told him that Atwater Block has always been very hit-or-miss for me, in that when they hit it, it is fantastic and when they miss, they miss by a mile. I further copped that I was curious to try this one, but I did not want to commit to four, even for $11.00 so he bought the four, and I owe him $3.00 for the one that he slipped into my bag for review. It is nice to have friends ...

From the bottle: "Conniption Fit - /ke'nipSHen/ /fit/ - a hoppy ale characterized by a sudden, violent hop outburst, often accompanied by a tirade of strong language and unexpected gyrations of the face and mouth due to hysterical enjoyment."; "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly".

It was extremely fizzy and effervescent following the initial pour, so I backed off so as not to overflow the glass. Upon settling, I had just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention as the day's humidity made an unwanted return following intermittent showers. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. A previous reviewer mentioned haze and sediment, but I had neither. Notched date was J(une) 2013, so mine was definitely fresh. One whiff of the nose and I also understood what another reviewer meant by this as being an "English DIPA" as it was very malt-driven with the hops underlying the sweetness. I was put in mind more of a barleywine. Mouthfeel was on the full side, possibly due to all of the carbonation. The initial taste was very sweet, especially for the style, and very reminiscent of a barleywine. Thick, sticky lacing began to appear from the first draught. Finish was semi-dry, with the hops finally getting a chance to flex their muscles.

How do I quantify this one? If they would re-label it as an English-style barleywine or a Strong Ale, I would buy into it. As an ADIPA, it was far too sweet and malt-driven for my taste. Did I like it? Sure! It made me break out in a sweat drinking it, which all ADIPAs should do to be of any merit at all, but stylistically, it was flawed. Am I a style maven? Heck, no! But neither should I just gloss over that it really was not as advertised. Would I choose this over their misses, as previously mentioned? Heck, yes! Like I said, it was getting me where I was going, but it was taking an alternate route in so doing. Confound these guys!

3.3/5  rDev -8.1%

This is an ok IPA....it leans more towards and English style than West Coast style....so all you pine and citrus hop heads should be mindful. The beer pours a clear copper with thin white head that is not leaving a lace. The scent is subtle maybe some hints of bitterness. The taste is very bitter but balanced nicely with sweeter malt. The mouthfeel is fuller in body with subtle carbonation. Overall its ok....glad to have tied it.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

On-tap at Three Cellars, Franklin, WI:

Pours bright copper. The head becomes wispy. Minimal vanishing lace. Not the greatest head or lacing, but very nice color.

The smell is of caramel with leather and a hint of orange.

The taste is of sweet caramel, leather, (hint of wet tobacco?) and wood. Sweet, but does have a bitter touch in the finish.

Full-bodied and chewy, it is smooth. Alcohol well-covered.

A unique DIPA. Personally, I would consider it an American Strong Ale because it doesn't have the modern DIPA's citric/piney character very strongly. It is sweet-leaning, but bitterness does come through. An interesting, pleasant brew!

3.67/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, some citrus. Taste is well balanced. Some hops, citrus, malts kicking in at the finish, not overly bitter, alcohol is well hidden. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Pours a medium orange amber color, a one fingered creamy head that's fairly thick and viscous, and gentle, but tight carbonation.

S - Mild citrus and pine with light caramel malt. The aroma is pretty weak, I'm breathing in for all I'm worth and not getting much from it.

T - Sweet caramel malt backbone is sturdy and present from the start of the sip all the way to the very end. The malt immediately builds a quick burst of sweetness and almost as fast, is met with a swurry of pine and bitter grapefruit with a little acidic tang to the bittering. After the two collide, they continue to do so throughout the remaining sip and at the end, the pine and grapefruit bitterness win and create a fairly long and lingering dry aftertaste. The flavors start out more balanced and towards the middle the hops come on like gangbusters.

M - Full medium body, smooth on the tongue, dry finish.

O - What I really like is they date their bottles. Had this not been stamped with a bottle date, I would not have bought it because I'm tired of laying out mounds of cash for outdated big IPA malt bombs. For me, this one sits between a B- and a B. What kills the deal for me is the weak aroma. For 8%, the alcohol is well hidden.

4.16/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: A copper amber pour with a slight haze produces a 3” white to cream colored persistent, lacy foam cap. It takes 4 minutes to reduce to ¼ its original size.

S: Spicy, light biscuit, topical fruit, wood and green aromas rise from the glass. Hop aromas medium to medium high, clean fermentation character, malt aromas medium.

T: Big tropical fruit flavors featuring pineapple and citrus on a light malt backbone. Just above medium bitterness balances medium high hop flavors and medium to medium low malt. Lingering interplay of fruit and bitterness.

F: Lush and creamy texture with a medium body and carbonation.

O: Very well balanced and put together with rich, satisfying flavors.

Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPA from Atwater Brewery