Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPA | Atwater Brewery

3.42/5
Alströms:

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

2.98/5  rDev -12.9%

- double ipa. bot. june 13. consumed sept. 13.

A: Princeton orange pour with a decent clarity. Creamy-milky topping has an oatmeal tint with a fair stay of retention. Fine, moderate rise of carbonation with a broken, speckled, and spacious setting of lace on the vessel.

S: Faint flowery, citrus, no real sense of hoppiness, some bread, but no real toastiness. Disappointing for a pale, let alone a reputed ipa.

T: The flavor was a bit rough citrus, raw, flowery, mildewy, old, against some toasted bread, pine and some thick hop oils.

M: Syrupy, spicy dried honey floral notes. Lightly syrupy body, light crispness, spicy dried honey citrus flower leave.

O: Decent level of hoppiness does not always make for a good ipa. syrupy, not particularly bright hop wise, nor tasty flavor wise. meh. A C+ at best beer.

4.25/5  rDev +24.3%

3.85/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I was at The Friendly Greek recently, picking up some lovely bombers and having a draft while doing so when one of my constituents walked in. He was in the market for some IPAs and DIPAs and asked if I could recommend some. I helped him to get a mixed-six and steered him over to a four-pack of this beer. I told him that Atwater Block has always been very hit-or-miss for me, in that when they hit it, it is fantastic and when they miss, they miss by a mile. I further copped that I was curious to try this one, but I did not want to commit to four, even for $11.00 so he bought the four, and I owe him $3.00 for the one that he slipped into my bag for review. It is nice to have friends ...

From the bottle: "Conniption Fit - /ke'nipSHen/ /fit/ - a hoppy ale characterized by a sudden, violent hop outburst, often accompanied by a tirade of strong language and unexpected gyrations of the face and mouth due to hysterical enjoyment."; "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly".

It was extremely fizzy and effervescent following the initial pour, so I backed off so as not to overflow the glass. Upon settling, I had just under two fingers of dense, light-tan head with good retention as the day's humidity made an unwanted return following intermittent showers. Color was a coppery-amber with NE-quality clarity. A previous reviewer mentioned haze and sediment, but I had neither. Notched date was J(une) 2013, so mine was definitely fresh. One whiff of the nose and I also understood what another reviewer meant by this as being an "English DIPA" as it was very malt-driven with the hops underlying the sweetness. I was put in mind more of a barleywine. Mouthfeel was on the full side, possibly due to all of the carbonation. The initial taste was very sweet, especially for the style, and very reminiscent of a barleywine. Thick, sticky lacing began to appear from the first draught. Finish was semi-dry, with the hops finally getting a chance to flex their muscles.

How do I quantify this one? If they would re-label it as an English-style barleywine or a Strong Ale, I would buy into it. As an ADIPA, it was far too sweet and malt-driven for my taste. Did I like it? Sure! It made me break out in a sweat drinking it, which all ADIPAs should do to be of any merit at all, but stylistically, it was flawed. Am I a style maven? Heck, no! But neither should I just gloss over that it really was not as advertised. Would I choose this over their misses, as previously mentioned? Heck, yes! Like I said, it was getting me where I was going, but it was taking an alternate route in so doing. Confound these guys!

4.5/5  rDev +31.6%

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%

Here we have a double IPA from Atwater brewery. They are one of my favorite local breweries, and make a great range of high ABV brews. You're not going to want to drink any of these all evening.

Pours a cloudy golden color, with a nice tight head. It looks just right for an IPA.

It's got a ton of hoppy bitterness. It's not too complex, but more straightforward. Bitter hops. If you like the bitter taste of hops, you'll like this. It leaves a very sharp, bitter aftertaste. I'm a huge fan of the bitterness, so I enjoy this beer a lot. If you are looking for more malt in your IPA, you may want to try something else.

It's from Detroit, so don't disrespect it, or it will cut you, Man.

Atwater Conniption Fit Double IPA from Atwater Brewery