Atwater Grand Circus IPA | Atwater Brewery

atwaterbeer.com

Style: American IPA

Added by DrDoitchbig on 08-22-2011

1.25/5  rDev -59.9%

Kept it in the fridge til a buddy traded so he could try it. He thought it was "ok" at best. In my opinion, it wasn't drinkable. But I have high expectations when I see an IPA label.

1.25/5  rDev -59.9%

1.48/5  rDev -52.6%

This is not an IPA, and not a good beer overall. No defining hop character for this style. Decent copper color, but the smell and taste is quite a disappointment.

1.5/5  rDev -51.9%

1.59/5  rDev -49%

Never again...glad this is a session IPA and not a main brew. Atwater...please never do this one again, I don't know how you made a 4.2% beer so bitter and so crude that it's not even an easy drinking summer beer but you did. Would have rather drank a Budweiser...

1.69/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 1.75

Wow, it has been a while since I have felt so compelled to write a negative review.

Firstly, if you are going to have your "IPA" weigh in at 4.2% ABV, do us all a favor and have the basic decency to label it so that people like me don't waste our time and money on a light beer that has little flavor. I was suspicious because of the low price at my local beer store, but it said IPA and was something I had never tried before, my curiosity and adventurous nature kept me from just getting a standby pack of DFH 60 Minute IPA. Woe betide my decision, this is truly a terrible beer.

This is not an IPA, this is some sort of weird session pale ale, and not a good one at that. The basic appearance is lighter than ?I expected. The head is a lovely shade of white, which kept it from losing points there. The smell is weak and faintly pine scented. The taste is an unsurprising follow up to the smell. Water with Pinesol, slightly astringent. I have tasted first try's from home brewers that are leagues ahead of this piss-water. Mouthfeel was thin and watery.

Overall this is a very poor offering. Bad enough that I will not be throwing any money at these guys in the future. I tried to rate this beer fairly and still the results are not pretty. I would rather take a PBR any day over this stuff.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this offering. There are better and smaller breweries who could use the business and which would actually provide you with a beer worth drinking.

1.73/5  rDev -44.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

1.88/5  rDev -39.7%

Saw this on special at my local in 6-pack cans, thought I'd give it a whirl...couldn't be THAT bad, could it??? Billed as a session IPA - sounds good to me.

A - Pours not too well, small amount of head.

S - Aroma is off-putting. Very soapy, musty. This is presumably an IPA - where's the hop smell?

T - Very dirty and muddled tasting. Where the hell are the hops???? Oh there they are, a slight taste behind the diacetyl and muck. Gets worse as the beer warms up to room temperature.

M - Eh. medium body i suppose. Too distracted by the off tastes.

O - Take a guess based on my prior comments. I drank the 6-pack, but this was a pretty bad beer.

1.9/5  rDev -39.1%

No freshness dating. Bottom of can dated 2421 1403 maybe...

A= Pours a deep amber color with a two finger off white head on it that holds some steady retention and lacing.

S= A little light on the hops for an IPA on the nose. There is a little grassy floral aroma reminicent of the English variety hops or some sparingly used American versions. It has a sort of sweet wort smell to it as well that actually reminds me quite a bit of unfermented wort in a mash.

T= The taste matches the smell to a tee. The grassy hop notes and an unfermented wort flavor. It may have a little bit of a wheat taste to it as well. Really nothing to write home about.

M= This is about the only thing they got right. Lightly carbonated and perfect for the style I think.

O= This reminds me of a homebrew a lot. Unfortunatly this reminds me of a few homebrews of my own that I didn't hand out because I was ashamed. This is a mess of an IPA and barely a beer judging by the unfermented flavor.

2.1/5  rDev -32.7%

Really not good first drain pour in a while

Atwater Grand Circus IPA from Atwater Brewery