Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale | Atwater Brewery

Atwater Brewery
atwaterbeer.com

Style: American Stout

Added by ShanePB on 02-02-2012

Not what I expected tastes like diet yahoo. Tastes really flat and plain. This brewery usually puts out really solid stuff..

1.5/5  rDev -59.6%

1.75/5  rDev -52.8%

1.9/5  rDev -48.8%

My wife likes chocolate beer. I like my wife. So I bought her some chocolate beer.

Dark brown with a thick cocoa head. Collar retention dots my glass on it's way down.

Smells like maple syrup. I was expecting chocolate.

Tastes like maple syrup with strong bitter vegetable oil in back. Again, for some reason I was expecting chocolate. Chocolate syrup burps though.

This is terrible. I like maple syrup but a) I was expecting chocolate and b) that's a nasty back end. That's yucky two ways.

2.05/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

I had low expectations for this one, based on Atwater's Vanilla Porter being such a disappointment, but once again I was drawn in by their sharp artwork and the promise of "decadent chocolate".

To my surprise, even with lowered expectations, I was still disappointed! This beer poured very cola-like in appearance, built a nice looking head that disappeared quickly. It's a nice color (but what beer isn't?) but pretty transparent despite its dark brown color. Not a big deal but this turned out to be an indication of things to come.

The nose was the strongest point. Rich chocolate with a touch of vanilla, no indication of malts or whatever but the overall impression I got was closer to a high-level rum than any beer I've tried. There's still a little bit left in my glass and I keep sniffing it even now.
That was about it for the positives. Somehow all the wonderful chocolatey elements were strictly limited to the smell and none are evident in the taste. There's a slight malt character, with a the barest hint of the chocolate that was so "decadent" in the smell, and after that... nothing. It literally tastes like a watered down version of itself, or what I expected based on the intoxicating smell. Just bland, slightly sour, not decadent in the slightest. The mouth feel is similarly poor, just thin and weakly carbonated with no body. It really feels like drinking a Killian's or Bud that had slight chocolate flavor added. As it warms, instead of the flavor opening up, it just gets bland and kind of gross. I'd drink this over something like PBR but what's the point? If not for the delicious aroma, this beer would be a total waste of money. When you consider that a four pack of this costs the same as Founders Breakfast Stout or some of the excellent New Holland High Gravity Series (here in Michigan at least) there is absolutely no reason to buy this.

2.06/5  rDev -44.5%

On draft - 5/20/15

Appearance - 4
Dark, but not quite opaque with some nice head that didn't last

Smell - 3
Some chocolate and not much else.

Taste - 1
Sweet fake chocolate. No complexity. Another reviewer mentioned Shock Top. That's what you are getting here.

Mouthfeel - 3
Medium bodied, not terrible but definitely not as robust as what I was expecting

Overall - 2
The taste really killed it. It was a real disappointment. As somewhat of a chocolate snob, this one just didn't do it for me. If you take to chocolate flavored candy, it may not be so bad . If not, but you do enjoy a rich chocolate stout on occasion, I'd pick up a Youngs which is widely available and very tasty

2.25/5  rDev -39.4%

2.34/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I had high hopes for this beer. Sounded good, and I liked the idea of a chocolate beer, so I thought I'd give it a try. Whoops.

First, when I poured it there was almost no head. Color was good but that was about it. A nice dark brown stout.

Aroma was pretty much Hershey's chocolate syrup, which I do NOT like. There was a light roasted malt background, but the sweet chocolate overpowered everything.

Taste was like a weak chocolate soda with a coffee aftertaste. Nothing stood out past the sweet chocolate.

Mouthfeel was thin, watery, and barely carbonated. Just nasty.

Overall I think the word I am thinking of is horrid. This was a drain pour.

2.49/5  rDev -32.9%

AtWater Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale.

Atwater usually has some pretty good brews for the price range and I'm hoping this one won't be any different.

Look - Pours a transparent black that can easily be pierced by the light with a two finger bubbly mocha head that quickly elects to turn into strong cloud formations amongst the top of the drink. Lacing just isn't there. 3.5

Smell - Ever smell a frozen dark chocolate bar on a late Michigan October morning that you just found but you meant to eat a fee days after you bought it in the middle of June? Well take that along with the freezer burn and put it into the scent of a brew and you have this one wrapped up. 3.25

Taste - Chocolate makes itself known around these parts with a half balance of dark coffee and dark fruit. As great as that sounds there is still something off putting and quite bothering about this one...hmm...let's let it warm a bit. That off putting bit still sticks around despite being at optimal temperature. 2.

Feel - Medium bodied with lacking carbonation. Sits a bit creamy, but not much else to say here. 3.

Overall - Never really had a beer with such an off putting flavor that denied it a chance to shine. I've finally figured it out though. And I must say this guy is just way too watered down to truly be enjoyed for what it's supposed to be. This is to Sweet/milk stouts what Guinness is to Stouts in general. A watered down poor variant made to be ordered by a hipster who feels a touch masculine after a night of drinking PBR. Y'know what I'd rather have a PBR, at least it isn't a pathetic excusd for a style like this onr. 2.

2.51/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Look and smell are excellent. Taste is disappointing. Lacks depth and is over carbonated. Two parts soda water and one part Hershey's syrup about sums it up.

2.54/5  rDev -31.5%

Dark brown color, no head. Has an amazing dark chocolate smell, but the taste is underwhelming. Despite the promise of the aroma, I got very little in terms of flavor. Has a watery feel. The taste is strongly reminiscent of a weak Dr. Pepper. Palate is strongly carbonated and comes off a little too harsh.

2.6/5  rDev -29.9%

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I love dark chocolate but I was a little disappointed in this. The chocolate tasted fake more like tootsie role or nesquik, and overall it was just way too sweet. I think there are better chocolate porters but if you like overly sweet milk chocolate you will probably like this.

2.65/5  rDev -28.6%

Fake chocolate taste I've tasted better from shock top

Decadent Dark Chocolate Ale from Atwater Brewery