Atwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat | Atwater Brewery

Atwater Traverse City Cherry WheatAtwater Traverse City Cherry Wheat

Atwater Brewery

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by GRPunk on 04-08-2012

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Reviews: 32 | Ratings: 136
2.16/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Light carbonated feel. Has a SWEET cherry taste that is more unexpected and different, yes. I know it it a cherry beer but I thought it would have a sweet and tart taste similar to cherry coke???

2.33/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a hazy copper color with a white head that dissipates rather quickly, leaving no lacing on the glass. The aroma, especially for being a "cherry wheat" beer, is very hard to pick up on. Some cherries, wheat, sweet malt, and a touch of floral hops come out, but you have to REALLY sit there and concentrate and smell. It's far too weak. The taste isn't much better. Tart cherries up front, much like cherry "juice" rather than cherry "beer" - very soft and bland. The wheat flavor is strong, almost overpowering much of the cherry taste. The beer left a weird, chalky feeling in my mouth afterwards. Medium body, medium carbonation.

Overall, a mediocre beer at best. Bland and boring, and the aromas/flavors that ARE there, aren't very good. Steer clear of this one.

2.36/5  rDev -23.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I am really confounded as to where all of these Atwater Block beers in my backlog came from. If someone provided them to me and would like to be recognized, just let me know. All I can figure is that either Tone77 brought them by at one point or I bought them on a Pinocchio's run.

From the bottle: "Beer Is Good"; "Enjoy Responsibly"; "Malt Beverage Brewed With Lemon".

I know that previous reviewers did not enjoy their bottles, but I remain hopeful. I have taken to calling myself, among other things, The Will Rodgers of Beer since I have never met a beer that I did not like at some level, even if it was simply as an alcohol delivery system.

I have never been to Traverse City, but I remember expediting parts on order from a company headquartered there while attached to the Self-Defense Test Ship (SDTS) in Port Hueneme, CA while my Michigan-expat supervisor reminisced with the fellow to whom I was talking. A couple of years later, while on my last tour of duty on Diego Garcia, I ordered cherry preserves, cherry butter and cherry spread from a place in Traverse City. Man, the taste lingers with me in my dreams! Let us hope that this comes close ...

My pour netted better than two fingers of foamy, fizzy tawny head with moderate retention. Color was a deep amber with NE-quality clarity, both unusual for a wheat beer. Nose had a faint scent of cherries and I girded myself for a letdown. Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the cherry taste/tartness just seemed to be lacking in the mouth.Finish was equally uninspired and I found myself wishing for some of those cherry preserves. My apologies to the brewery, but I hope that your hometown Tigers fare better in the 2012 World Series than your beers have in my estimation.

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass

A- dark copper amber color with small head and very little retention, some visibility

S- cherry, lemon, wheat, and malt

T- light malt, tart cherry, hint of mint, not very complex and pretty one dimensional

M- flat and watery with light body

O- I had high hopes but was let down. Yes it's refreshing however it feels like they took a watered down wheat beer and added cherry

2.69/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

09/15/15 notes. 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a copper color. Nose has some artificial cherries, fruity malts, and metallic notes. Taste is similar, little less metal. Light body and low carbonation.

Overall not good; a worse version of the Sam Adams Cheery Wheat, which already isn't good. Wouldn't seek it out.

2.71/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

My buddy's fiance is from the Traverse City area, and she has told me very good things about the cherries that come therefrom. Hopes have been raised. This stuff pours a clear sunrise cherrywood topped by a finger of off-khaki foam. The nose comprises light cherry syrup, mild biscuit, and the vague sensation of graham cracker way in the distance. The taste brings in more of the same, though the cherries seem a bit old, colorless, and there's a general feel of cracked wheat throughout. It just doesn't work. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, this could have been much worse, but it's still a pretty sad beer. The cherry flavor does no justice to the rumors I've heard of the fruit itself, and the beer hardly wants to have much of a conversation at all, much less one that deals very deeply with the subject matter at hand.

2.77/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bottled April 2013. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: Darker than I was expecting... looks like a dark cherry, appropriately enough. Sand colored doesn't last long, and there's really no lacing. Bleh. Has a nice color, but that's about it.

Smell: Quite a bit of cherry, but there's actually a malt aroma... smells more like a beer than Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, that's for sure. Not much to it. It has a pleasant aroma, though.

Taste/feel: Eehk.. drink this one cold -- that's all I'll say. As this warmed up, I got this really odd bitterness that I can't quite explain. It's not a hop bitterness, but almost like a bitterness you'd get from sucking on a tree root or something. It's bizarre, and it's there all over the tongue, and lingers. When this beer is colder, that's not much of a problem. Traverse City Cherry *Wheat* also had me wondering where the wheat was until the aftertaste, as well. The feel is light and pretty thing -- definitely an "after a long, hot day" sort of beer, for me.

Not a very good beer. I can say that it doesn't have a medicinal sort of FLAVOR that can sometimes be a problem in a lot of cherry beers, but that weird bitterness is a killer, and ruining the beer for me. For what it's worth, it'd be average-at-best even if that bitterness was out of the equation. Can't recommend this one.

2.78/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $1.69 today at The Lager Mill. This is a new brew for Atwater, saw it at the store today and thought I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. It was notched April 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label is pretty typical for Atwater, but I like the color and the cherry tree by the Grand Traverse Bay, it's above average for them. It poured a slightly brown copper color that took on a nice copper/amber color when held to the light and it had two fingers worth of head that died down to a thin ring that left some spotty lacing. The beer doesn't look too bad.

S- The aroma is little lighter then I expected. The first thing that I pick up are the cherries which impart a cherry juice aroma, the cherries aren't the intense and don't smell artificial. After that comes some basic wheat and malt aromas that were pretty light and imparted a light wheaty and slightly malty aroma with a medium amount of sweetness. The aroma was a little bland, I would say it's average at best.

T- The taste seems to be just about as bland as the aroma was. It starts off with some cherries that don't stick out nearly as much as I would like them to and they impart a light cherry juice flavor that is slightly tart, GRPunk is right it does taste similar to those Cherry Capri Suns. After that comes some wheat and malts that have a lower amount of sweetness and impart a light wheat flavor along with a light amount of toasted bread and cracker flavors. The finish is a little tart with a light amount of bitterness and a cracker like aftertaste with a very light amount of cherries. The flavor wasn't impressive, the wheat and cherry flavors were just too light and that made the flavor boring and a pretty bland.

M- Somewhat smooth, crisp, dry, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a slightly fizzy medium amount of carbonation. Not that bad, the fizzy carbonation works somehow.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty lackluster attempt at a Cherry Wheat Beer, the flavors and aromas were just too muted which made this beer come up short in the realm of Cherry Wheat beers. It didn't have good drinkability, the tartness didn't make it that smooth, and the bland flavors couldn't hold my attention, one is enough for me, no need for another. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the mouthfeel they weren't that bad and seemed on par for the style. What I liked least about his beer was the aroma and taste, they were both pretty bland and the great flavors and aromas that should have stuck out, didn't. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would choose Sam Adams Cherry Wheat over this beer and I don't even like that beer that much, I wouldn't recommend this beer. Atwater can be hit or miss and in my book this was a miss, it was bland and it just missed the mark on what a good Cherry Wheat should be like, I won't be returning to this beer, better luck next time guys.

2.81/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: Pours a hazy amberish ruby red in color with light to moderate amounts of gentle visible carbonation along the edges of the glass and some rosé + crimson red highlights. The beer has a finger tall creamy fizzy pinkish off-white head that slowly reduces to a large patch of thin film and a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Moderate to significant amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Overall the entire aroma of this beer is rather light with some very light notes of wheat and some light to moderate notes of cherry (rather natural smelling, not

T: Upfront there are light flavors of wheat which persist through the finish along with light flavors of tart cherries and just a hint of something metallic.

M: Just slightly heavier than light bodied with very heavy amounts of carbonation. Slightly thin/watery.

O: Nothing horrible about this beer but nothing really exciting either - I could easily drink more of this as it is non-offensive, light, and easy drinking but it is just not that interesting.

2.82/5  rDev -8.4%

I picked up a six-pack of Atwater's Traverse City Cherry Wheat for $9 today at Busch'sl. I noticed the label and though I would give it a try on this 97 degree day, so we'll see. It was notched May '12.

A- I drank it from the bottle. So, I guess my review might be a bit lacking.

S- It has a sweet nose to it with a bit of hops and maybe a dash of caramel. So far I am not overwhelmed with the notion of cherries. Although, I guess if it did then it probably wouldn't be a very good beer (it would be a cordial/wine).

T- The taste seems boring and bland. It starts off with a very faint ancestor of cherries. As the beer goes in the flavor of cherry is instantly quelled with wheat beer. In the end it leaves the mouth dry and ready for another drink.

M- Smooth, crisp, and dry.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't impressed with this beer. I thought it was a waste of two dollars. I say two dollars because I could have purchased an 'average' six-pack of wheat beer for $7 that would have pleased me better then this.

2.88/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

From a 12 oz bottle.
Looks nice with a deep Amber body topped by a good head, but the aroma and flavor disappoint. Some cherry is evident but it's subtle and accompanied by more bitterness than tartness.
Medium body and near medium carbonation.

2.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Clear dark copper/caramel colored pour with a minimal head and light carbonation. Very light aroma with just a hint of cherries. Light bodied with a taste that has grain and cherry juice. Nothing really stands out. A very thin beer. Its refreshing but there’s just not much too it.

2.91/5  rDev -5.5%

The look of this beer is very clean. It has a slight cherry aroma. However the bitter cherry taste is not so pleasing. It has a goodmouthful feel. Other then the bitter cherry taste it's a decent beer, however not a beer I would choose. I have had better fruit beers.

2.93/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from a bottle into a beer mug. Date of bottling was April of 2012, it is now July of 2012.

Appearance: Beer pours with a mighty head, color is a heavy copper. Head recedes slowly leaving cobweb lacing.

Smell: A good deal of sour/tart scent from the cherries, and a touch of sweetness from the malt.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Beer is medium-bodied, with minimal carbonation. Very bitter, a good deal of sourness. There are cherries, yes, but they are not in season. Almost like a wine, there's not a great deal of consistency to the maltiness.

Overall: Wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Samuel Adams has a much better offering in this category. Now, if the ABV were about double what it is, they might have something here...LoL

2.94/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 2.75

LOOK: A great ruby looking brew with a healthy foam head and some lacing.

AROMA: Cherry, wheat, and a bit of grains. Much more grain to cherry aroma.

TASTE: The beer is a balanced cherry wheat with ample cherry notes balanced pretty well by wheat and some pungent hop bitterness. Allowed to warm, the cherry really doesn't come out more, nor does any really tasty malt character. It just gets a bit astringent. It's still OK, just abrasive.

FEEL: Crisp, soft, fuzzy mouthfeel on a light to medium bodied ale, a bit more to it than just a light beer. It is easy enough to drink, though the flavor gets old.

OVERALL: This is good in categories that mean the least. Its not bad, and with more cherry, and maybe some brown sugar, this thing would be a total beast.

[Suggested Glassware: Weizen Glass]

The pour was a cloudy medium brown with a strong reddish hue and a huge (3-4 finger) sudsy head that reduced slowly, down to a thick cap which lasted throughout and had fair sticky lacing.

The aroma was kind of mild with a light hay- like malt and a funky dusty yeast with hints of cherry, barley and wheat.

The taste was lightly malty and a tad sweet with a strong note of cherries from the get go, with a bit of wheat slipping in along with a mild bitterness and a lightly tart ending. The flavor lasted and average duration proceeding the swallow, with a lightly bitter fruity taste left behind.

Mouthfeel was light in body with a thin dry texture and an almost fizzy carbonation.

Overall this is a decent Wheat Ale with a strong presence of fruit and a touch of wheat. Be careful upon opening this one though, it fizzed up out of the bottle and onto the counter. I was quick though and only lost a very little...

3.03/5  rDev -1.6%

Highly carbonated! Pours a large (3 inch) off-white-to-white creamy head which quickly dissipates. Spicy wheat and very light cherry in the nose. Light body with a touch of acidity on the palate. Very light cherry notes on the palate (ever chew/suck on cherry pits?). Poured with a slight haze and makes beautiful Belgian lace. Reasonably refreshing, and bright with a slight medicinal hint. Lingers well. Final pour released much yeast which fell to the bottom of the glass.

3.09/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz bottle. Fairly sweet, the cherry flavor is fairly natural tasting. It's more in the smell than the taste. thinner body, high carbonation. not bad, but wouldn't seek out again

3.11/5  rDev +1%

A. Pours out a copper color with a whitehead that quickly disappears leaving some fine lacing and retention.
S. The aroma consists of cherry juice and wheat along with some sweet malts. Nothing really stands out.
T. The taste starts out with cherry juice that reminds me of a cherry softdrink followed by some wheat and finishes off with some tart cherries and bread.
M. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth and is rather easy drinking.
O. Not a bad beer, but not a good beer either. When it comes to a cherry wheat beer better off with Sam Adams cherry wheat than this one.

3.11/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a fairly clear golden brown, with a lingering cream head.

Grain and very subtle cherry are evident in the aroma, but there's really not much there.

Flavor reveals underpinnings of cherry tartness, without the cherry flavor. There's a substantial toasted malt backbone, but the tartness rounds out the finish.

Body is a touch light, with carbonation on the higher side.

I expected more wheat. Could also use more malt backbone to balance the tartness of the cherries.

3.2/5  rDev +3.9%

Going into this I know it's an old bottle (bottled in July) but hopefully it will be worth the dollar I paid.

A - Man I had no idea a "cherry" or "wheat" beer can be such a shade of dark brown. Head seems pretty good giving me less than a 1/4 inch that pulls back to a thick lace ring that sticks around for quite a bit.

S - Not bad the cherry is there but not in a "preservative" way. I am actually glad this beer doesn't smell like cherry cough syrup. Not getting much wheat either.

T - Well there is the wheat it's in the finish. My impression of this is not bad it's just not really much of anything. Cherry is there but far from tart and even the wheat tends to disappear after a few sips. The only redeeming factor is that it it is fairly sweet with no off flavors.

M - Thin and watery with not much flavor.

Overall definitely no Samuel Smith Cherry or even Founders cherry but it is still a very drinkable fruit beer. If anything I am not sure the hate since it's more beer than "fruit juice" since mostly manly of drinkers hate that sort of thing. Not worth a revisit, yet in my opinion better than Samuel Adams Cherry wheat.

3.31/5  rDev +7.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled in 4/2015. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy reddish copper color with a 2 finger dense and rocky light khaki head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of light sweet/tart cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Okay aromas with solid balance of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop notes; with very weak strength. Taste of light sweet/tart cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness and fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of cherry, wheat, cracker, toasted bread, herbal, grass, light pepper, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Good balance and solid robustness of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop flavors; with a good malt/bitterness/tartness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth, crisp, and slightly creamy/acidic mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish as expected of 4.5%. Overall this is a decent fruited wheat beer style. All around good balance and solid robustness of cherry, pale malt, and earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A fairly enjoyable offering.

3.32/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

12 oz

Pours a mostly clear amber, bit of white lacing for a head.

Smells of tart cherry juice, citrus, and biscuit malt.

Tastes of dry cracker and stale biscuit malt, hints of citrus and grassy notes. Finishes with a light cherry tartness, very mild.

Light to medium body with tingles of carbonation.

Average ale, slightly stale flavor but nothing too bad. Decent body. Works well in warm weather. Not bad but not anything special.

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Clear amber with a moderate cap of foam.
Aroma-Wheat, faint cherry note
Taste-Subtle cherry tartness, light-bodied and refreshing, but generally lacking any depth of character.

3.43/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

Basic beer, drinkable. Mild cherry aroma and understated in taste. Built up mouthfeel, as if I am rolling over a gumball. Nothing special, though cherry makes it half interesting. Fast dissipitating head.Bottle from Steve in Warren.A good idea that needs better execution.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast