Thomas Hardy's Ale (1968-1999) | O'Hanlon Brewing Co. Ltd.

Thomas Hardy's Ale (1968-1999)Thomas Hardy's Ale (1968-1999)

O'Hanlon Brewing Co. Ltd.
United Kingdom (England)

Style: Old Ale

This entry is for vintages brewed by Eldridge Pope & Co. PLC. / Thomas Hardy Brewery from 1968 to 1999. O'Hanlon's took over the brand and revived it in 2003: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1533/16858

Added by Todd on 11-27-2001

Reviews: 117 | Ratings: 199
4.5/5  rDev +1.1%

1987 Vintage
Half-pint bottle poured into a snifter glass

A- prying of the cap produces just a faint hiss. Pours a deep brown color with zero head or carbonation in the appearance

S- intense dark fruit aroma up front with notes of bold prune, fig & raisin. Wet cardboard (oxidization) follows the fruit aromas, along with caramel, wet leather, tobacco, beef broth & a hint of smoke, very interesting

T- Wow, this is quite possibly the most intensely flavored beer I've ever had. Sweet, savory, salty umami up front that opens up to flavors of prune juice, dried figs & raisins. Mid-palate adds a meaty element, reminiscent of salty beef broth or pot roast. As it nears the finish, I find notes of soy sauce, caramel, port & that wet cardboard oxidation. The linger gives flavors of more dark fruit and more of that savory saltines that almost makes you salivate

M- thick bodied with virtually zero carbonation, silky mouthfeel that stays viscous throughout into the finish, alcohol is hidden quite well

O- wow, this was an experience, like anything I've ever tasted. I can see what these are only 6oz, as it has taken me over an hour to drink it. Glad to have had the opportunity to taste this one, a 29 year old beer the night before my 30th birthday.

4.51/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A 1993 vintage I bought for my brother's 21st two years ago, we finally cracked it tonight. Spent the last two years in the back of a fridge. Poured into a 2015 Jester King Funk and Sour fluted tulip glass.

Appearance: A translucent burnt caramel color, it looks more like a dark brown liquor than anything else. Pours almost entirely flat but with a few small bubbles of coffee-milk colored head upon the first pour.

Smell: Wow. Bright, brandied raisins, hints of cognac. Little bits of burnt toffee and fruity dark chocolate, this is seriously something to behold.

Taste: Mostly follows the nose, the chocolate isn't quite so prominent but the bright, fruity raisins certainly are. Caramel and burnt toffee is here too. Vanilla and fragrant toasted coconut on the finish. This is easily among the most complex barleywines I've had and quite a difference from the 04 and 06 vintages I've had. It's also clearly better than the 04 and 06 vintages.

Mouthfeel: Really thick and luscious, much more so than the relatively thin 06. Sticks to the palate and has quite a long linger. More carb than I was expecting, which is to say it's nearly flat but not entirely so. This is truly something.

Overall: Wow, everything I was hoping it would be. I'm not super familiar with ports and cognacs and brandies, but this does remind me of a truly complex tawny port. The Thomas hardy vintages have earned their reputation as among the best aged barleywines and they are absolutely worth seeking out. I'm going to need my own birth year vintage in the future, for sure.

3.62/5  rDev -18.7%

1987 vintage, shared with cellar partner in 2016.
Now I've never had a TH Ale of any vintage, so it was a very interesting experience jumping right into a 30 year old bottle.
Poured pitch black with no head, but some viscosity was evident. Smell was meaty, Madeira, leather, booze. Very savory and umami. Taste followed suit -- much less sweet than the JW Lees we tried side by side with it. It was strangely quite puckeringly salty, and rather tart. I wondered if there might've been a slight infection. Fairly bitter as well, not sure from hops or tannins or what-have-you.
Overall this was the most INTENSE tasting beer I've ever had in my life. To be honest I couldn't finish my pour, but I understand the allure of old bottles like this. A fascinating and complex ale quite unlike any other I've ever tried. Glad for the the opportunity.

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Deep brown in color and extremely murky. No head whatsoever is present. That aroma reminds me vaguely of Sam Adam's Triple Bock! Lots of plum, a bit of fig, a hint of cabernet. The taste is plenty more plum and dates with loads of malt and barley. The body is very thick and yet viscous. It's oddly smooth for something so thick. I wonder if it should be entirely uncarbonated or if the fact that it sat through a couple of power outages in summer and winter over the many years I've had it? Still, very unique and interesting.

4.64/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Incredible. Lots of dark fruit, chocolate and carmel/toffee flavor. Low carbonation as you would expect for a 16 yr old beer. Very sticky and a nice syrupy mouthfeel. Really something special.

4.59/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Last night I had a 1987 Thomas Hardy's ale... opened with a little tiny hiss, poured a nice brown color with a ruby hue. Flavors, oh man that thing was complex... leather, soy sauce, meaty, sweet, slight tartness. It was definitely a sipper and something you can really only have a small amount of, but I'm very glad I got to taste it.

Still have a 1986 and a 1988 to drink at a later time.

4.71/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

May 30, 2015
1987 & 1988 vintages.
The '87 was infected (lacto?), but still very drinkable, comparable to a modern dark sour.
The '88 was great.
Almost zero carbonation, oxidized, intense flavors (sherry, figs), slightly salty and bitter.
Overall, a very interesting beer, reminded me of Sam Adams Utopias.

4.55/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1989 bottle drank on my 26th birthday. Bottle states it will age for up to 25 years, well ladies and gentleman I am here to tell you that it is still drinking great after 26. No carbonation and much darker than 07 I had a few years back. Tastes more like a fortified wine with figs, dates, molasses, and other sweet dark things than your typical beer. Also super cool to sip a beer as old as myself.

4.42/5  rDev -0.7%

1994 Edition

Pours a dark brown color, much darker than later vintages of this ale. There were a few spots of carbonation but fairly tame, the beer is 20 years old. The smell is an amazing bouquet of cocoa, aged malts, musty book, brown sugar, caramel, toffee and vanilla. The taste matches the nose but far less sweet than later years. Prune, cocoa, vanilla, brown sugar, molasses, scotch and even a hint of smoke. The beer drinks fine and is a testament to the original brew house and recipe. Outstanding.

4.66/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

1994 Vintage opened 7/11/2014

Appearance: No head with some sediment floating at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: WOW!! This is a handful. Oxidation in the best way possible, Sherry, Maderia, tootsie roll, black tea leaf and maple syrup.

Taste: Touch sweet with dried raisins, black tea, and more oxidation ... great stuff. Reminds me of a Port in someways.

Mouthfeel: Rich with zero carbonation

Overall: This is an outstanding brew even at 20 years old. I feel lucky to have had the opportunity to try it.

4.38/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1994 bottle – From Hollinghead’s ($2.30 back then)

Appearance - Deep mahogany, no head, crystal clear

Smell - Maple syrup, brown sugar, lots of malt, toffee, raisin, figs, very slight oxidation

Taste – Dried fruit, toffee, chocolate, brown sugar, maple syrup, brown and dark malt

Mouth feel – smooth, no carbonation, thick body

Overall – Very good. This beer sipped like malty Port wine. Glad I kept this in the fridge.

3.86/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

1995 Vintage

I've had this since 1995 or '96. I don't know why I've saved it this long but it got to a point where I was waiting for a special occasion and one never came along. Today I just decided to drink it.

It's still and very viscous. Very chocolately with definite alcohol bite. A hint of sherry and raisin notes but chocolate is the dominant flavor. It was clear in the bottle but a little bit of the sediment got into the glass.

Actually for a 19 year old beer it has held up very well. But it's well past it's prime. It was a great beer back in the nineties.

I should have drank this 10 years ago. I'll have to open my 1990 bottle soon.

4.94/5  rDev +11%

Have had Thomas Hardy Ale a number of times within 5-10 years of bottling. Each bottle has been a rich treat indicating superb brewing of an English Old/Strong Ale.
Previously best experience had been 1989 after 15 years. A remarkably special beer that I would have rated 4.5 to 4.75.
Recently shared a bottle of 1993 ( 20 years in) with beer companero, Travis of Ocean Odyssey...that was flat out one of the best beers I have ever had. The bottle opened with a noticeable breath of carbonation. Wow...20 years???...wow! The beer poured with a rich dark ruby pour and a slight head that quickly dissipated. What remained was a madeira like brew that caught the light in our snifters and gleamed out rays of garnet and ruby red reflections. It was a beautiful looking beer. The nose was subdued...but my 60 year old nose isn't the best to pick up subtleties. Regardless, there was dried fruit...rich like dates, figs and to a lesser extent golden raisins, not a hint of bitterness. The taste mirrored the aroma. There was no sticky sweetness. Rather there was port and dates accented by an attractive soft touch of toffee and pecan like nuttiness. Absolutely no oxidation. How this came from grain and not fruit is just amazing. Clearly a big alcohol backbone, but no burn... like a Hennessy XO. The mouth feel was outstanding. Full and again madeira like, but not sticky or syrupy. It was flat out decadent.

I sometimes slightly dismiss beers that mirror fine aged sherries, ports, etc. I mean I sometimes wonder what's the point of brewing a beer...just to create something that I can get easily at the liquor store...and usually just as delicious, stores better and at less expense.
But this was clearly special. It was so worth the wait, and a unique wonderful experience.
If you can...go out, buy a few and lay them down...for a long time. Good luck waiting...but you will be happy if you can stay patient,

4.68/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

1987 vintage, saved for a special occasion.

Appearance: Deep, dark brown with just a tinge of orange. Clear as a beer this dark could be. No carbonation, but what would one expect with a 26 year old beer.

Smell: Rich, sweet aroma, filled with raisins, figs, molasses, toffee, and oak. Very much like a Pedro Ximenez sherry.

Taste: An explosion of flavor. Sweet, with dark fruits, malt and oak intertwined. Some acidity and hop bitterness keep it from being cloying. Alcohol perceptible, but not overwhelming. Sweetness fades in the aftertaste, leaving a pleasant, warm, dry sensation.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy body. Coats the tongue, and doesn't want to let go.

Overall: Still crazy (good) after all these years. I didn't have much expectation with a beer this old, but it delivered. A beer for lightly sipping and savoring.

4.25/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

'96 vintage 330ml bottle poured into a matching Thomas Hardy's snifter. The cap pries off with a slight hiss and vigorously poured down the center of my glass releases a few large bubbles that collect around the perimeter of the glass and fade to nothing in a short amount of time. The brew is a dark cherry to mahogany color when resting in my glass but when held to the light appears as a brilliant clear ruby color that fades to orange and then almost yellow at its outer most edges. When the glass is swirled and tilted, some leggings of alcohol slowly droop down the wall of the glass.

The aroma is like sherry with plenty of alcohol esters slightly driven by fruity qualities. Raisins, prunes and dates give way to toffee and a slight medicinal feel and faint herbal hop edge. Some earthiness is present along with a mild musty touch of cardboard-like oxidation. Notes of chocolate blend with almost a hint of dried grassiness. I hate to compare this 16 year old brew to itself in other vintages without actually having those other vintages open at the time of this review but lets just say that while this does smell good overall, there are other vintages both younger and older that have a bit more depth of character without showing their age.

The taste is earthen with an alcohol kick that leads the way tasting minorly medicinal. The flavors of dark fruits remind me of apple skins, pears and over-ripe cherry or the pits of cherries. As the brew warms up, more of a raisin flavor comes into play with a hint of seedy dates or prunes. The oxidation shows up not only in the aromatics but also the flavor towards the finish. There are suggestions of wet paper to cardboard present into the aftertaste with a hint of herbal hops. When focusing on the residual maltiness, a hint of chocolate emerges and a touch of dusty grain. Like I mentioned in the tail end of my aroma notes, other vintages of Thomas Hardy might showcase this brew's real potential moreso than what I am writing here.

This is a full bodied brew with a very soft, light amount of carbonation that visually is completely lacking but in the feel is present enough to keep the flavors of the brew moving across the palate. It is felt in an accenting way to the alcohol that glides across the tongue keeping it almost lighter in the feel. I enjoy Thomas Hardy's Ale quite a bit. I have enjoyed many different years of this brew from freshly released yeas ago to excess of 20 years old. I selected this random vintage to write my review tonight and admittedly will need to revisit. Even though all of my bottles have been stored exactly the same way, I think this bottle shows more oxidation than any of the other vintages I have opened to date. Still good, just not as good as some of the others both younger and older. Regardless, Thomas Hardy's Ale remains a classic and a brew I wish I had more of nearly every time I partake in a bottle.

4.73/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Dusted off this 17 year old from the cool winter cellar and poured it at cellar temp (55F) into oversized snifter glass. No refrigeration required. Deep ruby/brown color. Very bright in the glass when held up to the light. Small ring of tan foam with medium sized bubbles settles around edge of glass fading quickly. Some floaters, but nothing to worry about.

Aroma is detectible within seconds of popping the cap even before pouring it. A proper slow pour so as not to disturb too much sediment unleashes a torrent of dark fruit, dank aromas. Raisin right off the bat with molasses, fig, prune, burnt toast, smoke(?) and alcohol. Extremely inviting.

The taste brings all those aromatics to the forefront with a moderate to somewhat intense sweetness on the mid tongue. No hop or bitterness whatsoever. No oxidation in this vintage either. All malt, sweet & decadent dark fruit and booze. Continual swirling brings back a fleeting head.

Mouthfeel is somewhat oily, yet lean. Definitely not as brothy as young editions. Aging brings out that liquor/vinous essence whereas younger versions are thicker, beefier and even chewy. A real shame that 2008 was the last vintage produced. Might never experience that youngness again. Young or aged, they are almost like different beers altogether.

4.39/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to seeswo for this. One of my favorite authors and favorite styles. 1999 vintage. Tulip glass.

A: Pours a dark cola color, all the way to clear around the rim, with a few bubbles but otherwise flat.

S: Caramel, candied dark plum and raisin, and mild to moderate oxidation and sherry flavors. The nose reminds me of a vintage port.

T: Rich, decadent caramel, raisin, sherry, on a long finish. Wow, this is delicious. Fairly sweet, this is again reminiscent of port for me.

M: Light carbonation and full bodied, a tad syrupy. Alcohol is completely hidden.

O: This is a superb dessert beer. Definitely a sipper, something to enjoy a nip of. Showcases how good a non-BA english barley wine can be.

3.3/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

1999 vintage. Acquired at a certain bottle shop in Southern California. Cost was $30.00. ABV is marked as 11.70%, but it's probably gone up over the years. 330ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap and understated appealing label served into a pilsner glass in me friend's gaff in high altitude Fort Collins, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are extremely high given its current ratings.

Served after a brief period of rest following its removal from the refrigerator. Side-poured as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with tortilla crisps.

A: Pours a quarter finger light khaki colour head of nice cream and thickness, but merely average strength. No eat particles are visible. No bubble show. Body colour is a very dark caramel amber. Doesn't look fantastic, but it's par for the style.

Sm: A downright pungent aroma of sweet rich malts, heavy scotch, nice sweet caramel, biscuit malt, and buried dark fruit. As powerful as an aroma can usually get. Alcohol is notable. No yeast character is detectable. It kind of turns me away, but I want to tame the beast.

T: Rich malt, caramel, caramalt, rich scotch notes, biscuit malt, and heavy malty sweetness Heavy on the malt, if that wasn't clear. It certainly doesn't taste 13 years old. It's a rich malty flavour profile. Prunes. Tobacco. No real yeasty character. Some alcohol does come through. I think I like it; it's just so rich and refined. The rich scotch notes are delightful: caramel, hints of vanilla, some booze, refined malt, and awesomely subtle toasted character. Well put together, but it's not quite balanced. Aftertaste of malty molasses syrup.

Mf: A bit syrupy - especially on the finish. Otherwise, it's nicely smooth and wet. Good carbonation, even after all these years. Complements the flavour somewhat, but it has its flaws.

Dr: Even after 13 years, it's still a tasty beer. The refined scotch notes are a plus, but the syrupy finish is a turn off. It's not without its weaknesses, but I do like it overall. The cost isn't justified, but it's certainly a tasty brew. I do think its peak was hit years ago. I wouldn't bother trading for it. Hides its high ABV well. One tasty, complex, and uniquely rewarding beer.

Low B-

Vintage 1998

Poured slow homie, toffee crystal beer with a glass surface. Lovely hues. Smells of nougat, caramel, candied raisin, toffee, toasted sugars, lots of toffee & caramel. Hint of vanilla. Tastes of caramel, nougat, nut roll, bits of honey, syrup, cola and tawny porto (10 year) - nice flavor. Medium on thin body with light, prickled carb and a wet finish that gave a little hint of alcohol. A gracefully aged beer I'm glad to have tried and received from a great trading partner as an extra.

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

A: The beer is relatively clear reddish amber in color and has no visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: There are moderate to strong aromas of sherry in the nose along with sweet notes of caramel malts.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is dominated by flavors of sherry and port wine. Notes of malty sweetness are also present.
M: It feels medium-bodied, a little thin and slightly syrupy on the palate with a very low amount of carbonation.
O: Aging this beer definitely intensifies its smell and taste. It is a pleasant and interesting beer to sip and surprisingly the alcohol is very well hidden from the taste.

Note: 1998 vintage (aged 14 years)

4.61/5  rDev +3.6%

1988 vintage I was able to find at RFD in Washington, D.C. Purchased it to celebrate being done with the PA bar exam...

A - Pours a mild mahogany color with hints of a dark burgundy hues throughout the body. There is little to no carbonation visible and is basically flat - not too surprised there however.

S - Really intoxicating aromas of sherry, port, sweet dark fruits come through up front. Raisins, cherries and some red grape come through nicely. Boat loads of toffee, caramel, and malty goodness come next mixing with the liquer-like scents. Some slight oxidation is noticeable but is welcomed in this bouquet of deliciousness.

T - Man. Sweet port, brandy and sherry flavors come through with raisins being the common theme at the outset. Dark fruits take the stage with raisin, cherry, prunes and red grape being the most noticeable. Delicious toffee and caramel come next with some leather notes and some slight chocolate as well. Oxidation is just right with this one as it has done wonders to this flavor profile.

M - The mouthfeel is a smooth and creamy with no real carbonation. Medium bodied at times bordering on the thicker side with the sweet flavors going on.

O - Really one of the better beers I have encountered in terms of the flavor profile. It is the oldest beer I have ever had. The aging and oxidation that resulted really did wonders for this beer. I can only hope that someday I will be able to find more that has the same character and quality as this vintage did.

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Reviewing 1998 Vintage thanks to MrKennedy for sharing.

Pours a colour reminds me of transparent marmalade.

Soft aromas of fortified wines, port/sherry/muscat.

Taste is almost port-like, however, amazingly luscious for the ABV. if you watered down port, it would taste watery, this doesn't. MrKennedy picked a vegemite-like character also on front palate, which I concur with. Alcohol, whilst definitely in the mix, does not dominate in anything other than a slightly warming way.

Mouthfeel is outstanding for the year in question, no flatness or dullness present at all.

Overall, a truly amazing brew, and one I was most fortunate enough to be allowed to share in.

4.52/5  rDev +1.6%

Deep treacle, more or less clear. No head whatsoever, save for some turbulent bubbles here and there.

Masses of rich, woody, dark fruits. Prunes, muscatels, bark, liquorice and brandy drenched fruit cake. A hint of oxidation mars an otherwise sublime nose.

Thankfully, the oxidation doesn't come through. Brandy snap, sherry, golden syrup pudding, dates and liquorice. So deep and brooding. Fuckin delightful.

Difficult to describe the mouthfeel because it's so unobtrusive. Not big, nor syrupy, nor boozy. Does exactly what it needs for the flavour profile show its wares.

Delectable. Started out impressed but not blown away, however once this settles into is groove it's an uncanningly classy piece of work.

4.76/5  rDev +7%

330ml bottle, 1994 vintage, into a Cigar City snifter.

Pours dead still, no carbonation whatsoever. Dark brown colour with a light ruby tinge when held up to the light.

Smell is of port, prune juice, raisins and vegemite. No oxidation, this has held up sublimely well!

Tastes of port, mixed with sherry and with a little bit of soy and toffee. No oxidation or dated taste to it, still retains plenty of punch with its characteristics. So complex, a wonderful mix of port and sherry.

It doesn't need the carbonation. Given the typical flavour profile, a still beer is fitting. Very warming, this hasn't thinned out one bit, decadent, full bodied and a massively long finish.

Brilliant, arguably the best of any of the Eldridge Pope vintages that I've tried. Such fullness of flavour, lack of oxidation and thinning leaves this as a truly world class beer. Here's hoping someone takes over from O'Hanlons in resurrecting this rightly famous beer!

4.47/5  rDev +0.4%

VERY NICE! Have a few mid 1980's bottle in my cellar and opened this 1989 Vintage bottle to staste what aging does... not much as it tastes much the same as 20 years ago! Poured deep brown with no head. Nose had dark fruits like prunes and raisins. Low carbonation, some oxidization, brown sugar, fortified fruit and alcoholic flavors. A very flavorful beer.

Thomas Hardy's Ale (1968-1999) from O'Hanlon Brewing Co. Ltd.