Gouden Carolus Easter Beer | Brouwerij Het Anker

Availability: Spring

Added by paterlodie on 04-29-2005

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

On tap at the Trappe Door, Greenville SC. Served in a Tulip glass.

Appearance: Ruby red to tan brown dark ale, but bright and caught the light nicely. Initial thick white head upon pouring which died down to a thin skin across the top and plenty of persistent lacing. Great looking beer.

Smell: Rich toffee and caramel, along with some black cherry, some hints of yeast, and some spices.

Taste: Very rich and wonderful - lots of toffee, candi sugar, and caramel notes mixed in with plum, fruity esters, mild tart cherry, some spices I couldn't pull out, and a mild bitter finish. A sweet beer, but just what I was looking for as a dessert.

Mouthfeel: Thick and approaching creamy but also quite sticky as well. Light carbonation.

Overall / Drinkability: Dangerously drinkable. I easily could have had another but I would be hurting later if I did. Great by itself but I think it would have gone quite well with a meal. So many good things in this beer coming together nicely that add up to more than the sum of their parts. A special occasion beer for sure, and I think a great beer for that late spring holiday of Easter. I'll have to look for this beer in bottle form and save it for a special occasion. However, definitely a sweet and sugary beer. I could see if I was in the mood for something lighter this beer wouldn't cut it. This is a "last beer of the evening" ale - something you finish off the meal with or have when you expect to be going to bed soon. It's a beer for the finish, not the start or the middle. Makes sense to me anyway. After I've had this I want another, but I'm also done. Anything after this rich beer would clash badly I think.

3.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.25/5  rDev -19%

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.74/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good beer. Has a nice sweet Belgian Ale scent and taste, and a nice dark color.

This beer feels a bit thin, but that is OK. Flavors of raisins, kind of typical for Belgian ales. This one is a bit less sweet than some Belgians I've had, but that is good because too much sweet is sometimes not desirable.

Picked it up because it was labeled Easter Beer, and it was Easter.

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

3.54/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

RB

Surprised I haven't reviewed this one yet... Picked this up at Brewer's Haven on Vista a couple weeks ago... Pours a fairly standard dark amber.. perhaps a little hazed.. 1" off white head has great retention and lacing.

Nose is weird.. tons of anise... lesser clove and some dark plum.. "Belgian", yes but more "spiced" than Continental.

Flavor has the same elements but with a little more dark sweet plum up front that actually helps magnify the anise/licorice notes...

Body and carbonation are fine for a BSDA... I am just not digging the heavy licorice component.. I don't remember the anise being so pronounced, but I haven't had this one in years either... Oh well.. I doubt I will buy this again just based on my personal prejudices.

3.75/3.5/3.5/3.75/3.5