Gouden Carolus Classic | Brouwerij Het Anker

good
Read the review
Gouden Carolus ClassicGouden Carolus Classic

Brouwerij Het Anker
hetanker.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 06-13-2002

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%

2.26/5  rDev -45%

Dark brown, murky body with a thin tight white head, good sticky lace.

Smells of acetone, raisins, prunes and strangely enough: carrot cake.

The flavour is unfortunately rather 1 dimensional.Sweet brown sugar and christmas fruits. A touch cloying. Waiting and waiting for some dryness/bitterness but nothing. No hops, no dark roasted malts. Just sweet with a light nail polish remover funk in the aftertaste. Conditioned in too hot an environment??

The mouth feel is a tad thin with some quite astringent tanins.

The nail polish, tanins and unbalanced cloying sweetness really kills any kind of real enjoyment of this puppy.

I know I have bashed this beer a bit but I am a huuuge Gouden Carolus fan and their Cuvee Van Der Kaiser Blauw is one of my all time favourites. Perhaps unfair comparisons but this guy didn't stack up. I may also have gotten a dodgy bottle.

2.32/5  rDev -43.6%

In general a deepy brown color, strong beer for the most mexican beers, i try this in a 12 oz bottle, my wife gift me this beer and the christmas carolus in december 2004, and this beer it disappointed to me; its color may be is for its malt, i can compared wit st sebastiaan dark in its flavor, try with mexican food, and german cuisine, drink direct from the bottle or in a goblet; 70% recommended.

2.56/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours a deep brown, ruby color with very little head. Smell is raisiny and chocolate sweet- too sweet for me. Taste is also too sweet- reminds me a lot of raison de etre. Mouthfeel is flat. Just flat. Eh. I'm a fan of the dark Belgians but something about this one just didn't fly with me. I feel like I have a cavity now.

2.71/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured from bottle into a Bush Beer Chalice.

Dark brown with a thin tan head on the top. Gentle pour didn't give much head and the glass is too small to swish around. Lacing looks good initially. Smell is light malts but really I'm barely getting any smell off this. Taste is flat and and muted belgian yesty malt. Medium sweetness, medium carbonation. Drink ability is alright, not the best Gouden Carolus I've had.

2.73/5  rDev -33.6%

When poured in a Duvel glass it made quite a hissing sound. Tasty looking deep brown in colour with a full rocky head. Deep nose of figs and prunes.
Shame about the taste. Far too dominated by a ridiculously concentrated sugary confected quality on the tongue. Quite a disappointment compared to the last time I had this.

2.75/5  rDev -33.1%

3.05/5  rDev -25.8%

11.2 oz bottle from Total Wine.

Appearance: Looks nice. Dark red-brown. Nice Thick off white head leaves pretty good lacing.

Smell: Smells nice. Belgian yeast, spice, dark fruit, sweet malt.

Taste: Does not taste nice. Up front I briefly taste what I smelled, then I'm overwhelmed with a taste resembling sour milk. Its also overly sweet without balance. It finishes sour and bitter, folowed by lingering cloying sweetness. How can something smell so good and taste so bad.

Mouthfeel: Despite hating the taste, the mouthfeel is fine, maybe too thin, well carbonated, generally style appropriate.

Drinkability: I had this once before a year or so ago and seem to remember liking it. I hope this is a bad bottle. Its barely drinkable with the overpowering sourness and sickly sweetness. Its especially disappointing after recently having the Gouden Carolus Cuvee van de Keizer which is Belgian strong dark ale perfection.

3.17/5  rDev -22.9%

With thanks to BA Andrejes, I was able to try this beer. Andrejes brought his beer to a tasting organized by Fiona de Lange (the Dutch beer lady). Andrejes cellared this beer for 23 years!!! Yes people this beer was bottled in 1989.

A - A clear brown fluid with no head whatsoever.

S - It has got the smell of a medium dry sherry.

T - Dry, watery en lots of taste. It is like drinking a watery sherry.

M - A light to medium carbonation, no bitterness.

O - A real different taste compared to the original. A funny experiment and my first experience of a beer this old.

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured from the 330 ml bottle, I picked up one of these from a four pack because I love their tripel and dubbel so much. Appears a ruddy mahogany brown with a nice sized beige head forming thick above the rim of my tulip chalice. Fine scattered Belgian lacing lines my glass, pretty impressive look to it. Aromatics offer up brown sugar with alcohol infused raisins and a touch of faint anise in the background with some Belgian candi sugar adding to the sweetness and level of fermentation this brew has. Not boozy in the nose in anyway, but the flavor has a nice rolling profile of semi tart and sweet berry jam notes, more raisin accents compliment the malt profile. Kind of a dry yeasty nuttiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied but not as effervescent as the bigger bottles offerings from Gouden Carolus quite airy with sticky cloying edges from all of the sweetness. Drinkability is decent a complext Belgian style brown ale, that I enjoyed but would much rather enjoy a slightly hoppier American version without the extra alcohol and sweetness.

3.22/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%