Gouden Carolus Tripel | Brouwerij Het Anker

hetanker.be

Style: Tripel

Added by marc77 on 08-12-2002

2.13/5  rDev -48.3%

Goblet at the Yardhouse in Rancho Cucamonga for $6.50, served in a smaller glass because of its high ABV, one of the only things that looked interesting on the menu

A-Medium brown with an obvious orange tint, hazy, 1/4 inch creamy off white head that disappeared immediately, no retention, no lacing

S-Apples, raisins, white grapes, honey, bready malt aromas, orange peel, other fruits, candy, earthy accents, and brown sugar

T-Started off with an immediate raisin taste, then some chewiness in the middle that was immediately overshadowed by booze and fruitiness in the finish, too sweet already and I was scared to see how it got once it warmed, more apples and oranges later on and the bread toned down a lot, got way too sweet and boozy by the end, needed some hops or chewier malt to provide some balance to the fruit war that was going on

M-Sweet, boozy, and tangy mouthfeel, needed some carbonation because this one was seriously flat, medium to thick body, syrupy, taste lasted long

D-Could barely finish mine within an hour, did not do justice on a warm day in the IE, heavy on the stomach, high alcohol content, not smooth, alcohol was not hidden

Never tried a beer from this brewery before, have been wanting to try the grand cru for quite some time now, simply curious to see what this one was like because I had not heard anything about it, one of my least favorite tripels ever, would not drink again, not recommended

2.16/5  rDev -47.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

2.46/5  rDev -40.3%

Pours a fizzy head which almost immediately disappears. Brew is a dark orange/copper color, very dark for a Tripel.

Aroma is boozy, and reeks of vanilla and oak, almost a bourbon-like quality to it. Burnt caramel, Belgian yeast, a bit of diacetyl, and a medicinal quality. Slightly tart.

Taste follows the nose, with a bunch of different tastes competing. Finishes with a huge diacetyl bomb, like drinking a Werther's Original. There's an initial hint of what you expect from a Tripel, but it's quickly washed away.

Mild sting; a little syrupy.

This must have been a bad bottle; I can't imagine it was designed to taste this way. A few tastes into it, and it's surely headed for the drain. Infection? Really, really old (no bottle date)? No idea. I'll try to revisit this someday to see if this was an anomalous experience, but I can't imagine someone drinking this on purpose, especially as a Tripel.

2.46/5  rDev -40.3%

A- very good looking triple. Cloudy pale yellow body with thin white head. Leaves behind plenty of lacing in the glass.

S- Powerful astringent smell. Behind this is a good balance of citrus and yeast.

T- Some citrus and wheat upfront with a touch of bitter hops. Finish is very astringent with a big alcohol burn. Bitter hops remain after the alcohol burn is gone. I was unpleasantly surprised by this considering that I love tripels and most hide their alcohol very well.

M- smooth and creamy mouthfeel. What I expect in a triple.

D- I don't know if there was something wrong with the batch or if it was meant to taste like this. It looks like a tripel and has the great mouthfeel of a tripel but the taste makes me never want to have this one again.

2.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.6/5  rDev -36.9%

I quite liked the rather eccentric American triple I had last night, Bell's Sparkling Ale, so I figured I'd love this, The Real Thing. I guess it's telling of my level of patriotism that I'm ashamed to much prefer the souped-up American one to the authentic Belgian.

The Gouden Carolus Triple (it says Triple on the label, not Tripel) frankly smells awful, sour yeastiness combining with a potent alcohol character to create a nasty odor. I keep setting the thing down and picking it up five minutes later, thinking, "Oh, it can't be that bad!" But it always is that bad, like ketchup, vinegar, and Everclear mixed together.

On the bright side, it doesn't taste nearly as awful. There's a bit of unpleasantness, but there's also your typical Tripel breadiness. The aftertaste moves from the breadiness of the initial flavor into actual bread--it literally tastes just I just ate a slice. Not much fruitiness.

It looks and feels like a good tripel, tastes like a slightly off tripel, and smells like bear shit. Not good.

2.68/5  rDev -35%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Color clear gold, clear. Head is white, very high and very durable, on the glass leaves many traces.
Unfortunately, aroma is very weak, a little bright fruit with white grapes and light notes of spicy seasoning.
Taste dry, fruity floral, unfortunately, only gentle.
Bitterness low and short on the finish. Saturation high, fits. A little bit alcohol, but it is not so intense that adversely affect the taste.

2.93/5  rDev -28.9%

This is the first beer that really let me down. I enjoyed the D'or and thought this would be nice, but it wasn't really what I expected.

A- Poured into a wine glass from a 330 mL bottle. Nice big head, white, bubbly. The beer was a deep yellow with a slight orange tinge to it.

S- I can smell citrus fruit, maybe pears, oranges, piney hops, alcohol.

T- Alcohol was always underlying throughout the drink. Sweet, full-flavored, and sharp. The hops really poke out more than most tripels I've had.

M- This was the kicker for me. The alcohol left a hot feel in my mouth and throat, the flavor was full, but bold in a way as to keep it unbalanced and tart. The bubbles didn't help the alcohol burn in the least bit.

D- It was nice to try, but I won't be getting it again. Maybe some other beers from Het Anker will tickle my fancy (whatever that means)

2.98/5  rDev -27.7%

When poured it had loads of white foam with large bubbles. The smell was of hops was very weak. The aroma of this Triple was a big disappointment.
The flavor was of a very sour nature. It seems that maybe this Triple's was way past it fresh date. The sour taste of hops was all I could muster up as far as flavor. Not a good triple. In fact, of all the triple's I've ever tasted, this has rank as one of the worst. My score of 2.5 was very conservative.

I do not get the high reviews for this Tripel. I think it is resoundingly mediocre.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

had on tap at Yards in Las Vegas on 4/9/08

the beer poured a hazy golden brown - minimal head - but that could be the delay in getting it from the tap to the table. the head did have some great lacing.

there was a light sweet malty smell - flowery citrus - almost like a garden. has a weird malty alcholic taste at the very back of the mouth. weird hints of hops as well - not a huge fan of this beer. there is at least a nice hoppy finish.

having said all of that - it also minimizes the mouthfeel and drinkability.

3.08/5  rDev -25.2%

Appears a hazy light gold with a fluffy white cap. Scattered bits of tubular lacing left around the tulip glass.
Smell is of grains of paradise, and light citrus. Wheat notes similar to a witbier.
Taste is of a hybrid wit/tripel. Odd spicing and dry wheat flavor sort of clash.
Mouthfeel is chewy, dry, with spicy dryness, after a weird sweetness of peach.

3.12/5  rDev -24.3%

This was a very enjoyable Tripel, but quite average for the style. It poured a red-orange colour with a very slightly off-white head that remained intact for quite a while. While a bit cloudy, there was virtually no debris, only a very, very fine sediment that blended in with the rest of the liquid. Large bits of debris mean alot to me with Belgians. Smell was nice, with a bit of a toasted malt, cooked fruit, and subtle alcohol.
Taste was very average for the style. Not bad, just "par for the course" concerning the style here. A bit bitter, a bit of a metallic taste, lots of stewed fruit, and a big, alcohol finish. Mouthfeel was slick and smooth, but nothing that really grabbed my attention. Certainly not a bad beer, just a very average Belgian Tripel.

3.15/5  rDev -23.5%

Pours a clear, golden amber color, similar to a sunset, with a good amount of white head that dies down to a lovely ring around the edge. Smells quite fruity. Also getting some honey notes. Sweet, certainly. Like smelling dessert.

Doesn't taste nearly as good as it smells. Starts out fruity and slightly citrusy and ends up... tequila, oddly enough. For tequila lovers, I'm sure this is a great surprise. For the rest of us (myself included) all I can say is... yuck. The aftertaste doesn't last that long, but it's enough to make me slightly queasy. And after a while even the smell becomes tequilay. Mouthfeel is tequila-y as well. The more I drink this, the more it makes me feel sick and brings up bad, drunken memories. And really bad hangover memories.

For a tripel, it's pretty drinkable. But it's hard for me to rate this honestly because I do not like tequila. Still, it's a solid tripel- just not for me.

Gouden Carolus Tripel from Brouwerij Het Anker