Lucifer | Brouwerij Het Anker

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-30-2009

1.25/5  rDev -67.2%

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This beer was bottled 28 months prior to my opening it. The bomber from which I poured it was pressurized adequately to propel the cork off at a pleasing velocity. The liquid had a clear, light golden appearance. The head consisted of coarse bubbles and dissipated quickly to a thin layer which left minimal lacing on my 330 ml chalice. The aroma was certainly that of a strong Belgian pale, but less pronounced than I would have liked. The flavor was somewhat disappointing in that it seemed to carry some "off" flavors. There was a slightly metallic aftertaste as well. My suspicion is that the beer's age may have been the culprit in the flavor's problem. I should also mention that I did eat a calzone while drinking this beer, which may have been (although I don't think so) a factor. Overall I was a bit disappointed.

2.68/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

When I popped the cork the beer erupted and spilled on my floor. I poured it into my snifter. The snow white head stayed for a little bit but faded some so I could pour more into the snifter. Straw color body that is slightly hazy. It looks very carbonated.

Grain, grass, floral and some peppery spice. It's okay smell, nothing special.

Incredibly bland grain, grass and a muted pepper taste at the end. The Belgian yeast is lacking. BORING!

Light body, reminds me of sparkling water with a little less carbonation and dry.

Stay away from this! Not horrible, just not good. Bland, boring and disappointing. I hope this is a bad batch, I'm not spending anymore time on this.

2.73/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Green/gold, cloudy, covering lace.
Medium body, moderate flavor, refreshing mouthfeel, short length but tasty finish.
Low bitterness makes it taste sweeter than it is.
Fruity, soap water, orange, star fruit, yeasty.
Pleasant and elegant.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.84/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Is it possible to have more head than Duvel?

Lucifer is real, Duvel also means devil, in both the head is trying to escape...

Ok though just not as good as Duvel...

2.93/5  rDev -23.1%

On tap at Burp Castle, NYC, into a Chimay goblet. From notes taken in early March, 2010.

Appearance: Half-inch, frothy white head dissipates very slowly. Pours hazy orange and leaves waves of lacing everywhere.

Smell: Smells peppery and a little grassy, with notes of Belgian yeast and orange rind. Inviting.

Taste: In light of the promising smell, the taste is a disaster. Heavy yeastiness with a cloyingly sweet finish. The citrus from the nose is present but tastes like orange soda (this is a very bad thing). A note of anise is present, which is already a bit dangerous in a beer, but is predictably unpleasant when alongside sickly sweetness and orange soda. Really chalky, overboard, and unbalanced. This is exactly the opposite of what you expect to get from a Belgian golden ale; no subtlety, no intriguing esters, no balance.

I let my friend try this and it stung her tongue. She said it reminds her of Fresca (I've never had Fresca). We agreed that it would be appropriate to describe drinking this beer as "flagellating the mouth."

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, with a crass, out of control carbonation.

Drinkability: I was able to finish it, but if offered a second one for free I would have declined.

When I sat down at the table and began taking notes, I made a conscious note to myself: "Don't compare this beer to Duvel, just take it as its own thing." It turns out that comparing this atrocity to Duvel is laughable. Maybe it needs to be bottle-conditioned to be good.

Lucifer from Brouwerij Het Anker