Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) | Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker
Belgium | website

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2002

Reviews: 878 | Ratings: 1,790
2.46/5  rDev -42.7%

22oz bottle poured into a goblet. Jaargang 2008.

A: Deep red (slightly darker than a typical barleywine) with a big head that quickly fades.

S: Dark fruit and spices.

T: Unpleasant cloying spiciness, sugary sweetness, and harsh phenols. Bready aftertaste.

M: Fairly light with decent carbonation.

D: I don't know what happened. When I had this back in December, I liked it a lot. This time around, it was way too sickeningly spicy and sweet and I had to do a drain pour. Maybe I got a bad bottle.

2.51/5  rDev -41.5%

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (2012)
This beer seems to be enjoyed by most and came highly recommended, yet it did not live up to the fanfare. This was recommended based on my love of quads, yet this is a strong dark ale, not a quad. I don't know why two different guys at two different beer stores told me this was a quad.
This pours a dark brown, looks beautiful and rich. Minimal head.
Nose is very sweet and when swirled brings out a pungent smell of alcohol.
Taste is very sweet, to a fault. Dark fruits, brown sugar and alcohol are prominent on the tongue. Have I mentioned it's far too sweet?
I shared this with several friends and no one else liked it either. We can't all be wrong about this highly rated beer can we? Is it possible I got a bad bottle? I hope so.

2.61/5  rDev -39.2%

2009 bottle poured into a tulip glass.
A beautiful looking beer with a tan cottony head. Smells wonderful and sweet. But the pleasure ends there. The taste starts lively and fresh but quickly goes way too sweet for me. Can't taste anything but malt, sugar and alcohol. Thick and syrupy mouthfeel. I would rather have a coke but it may just be a style preference. Sorry.

2.69/5  rDev -37.3%

Gouden Carolus Grand Cru of the Emperor: Kind of a fancy pants name for a beer that I did not think was all that good. Big bomber bottle marked 2000 around the neck ring. Corked bottle. When pouring, I quickly noted substantial chunks of sediment, and this beer poured into somewhat of an unappetizing murky reddish brown color, with not much head. It did taste better than it looked, with predominant tastes of dried fruits, raisons prunes, etc. I did sense a tiny taste of sourness that was not all that unpleasant. All in all, I’d pass.

2.75/5  rDev -35.9%

A - 2005 vintage. Pours a deep, clear chestnut brown, with a couple of fingers of light-tan head. If allowed to settle it falls to a thin ring leaving behind plenty of lacing, but is easily refreshed to a finger in depth.

S - Masses of sweet dried fruit - dates/raisins/fig, molasses, dark rum, cinnamon, orange peel buried in the back. There's more there, but tough to define what it is. Really appealing.

T - Rich, dried fruit comes to the fore immediately. The alcohol is fairly well masked, but only because sweetness dominates. Unfortunately this also stops any other flavours showing prominence. Long, lingering aftertaste of tobacco. Huge letdown.

M - Very coating, syrupy mouthfeel. Cloying. Carbonation is very light, which doesn't help to cleanse the mouth and add some balance. Disappointing, possibly due to its age.

D - I'd held high hopes here and the beer showed initial promise. Let down by its complete imbalance. Might revisit with a fresher bottle, but can't imagine the overpowering sweetness being brought into check.

2.76/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

750 ml bottle in snifter glass at 1 year and 4 months
A: sudsy subtle 1 finger head, deep brown almost opaque with subtle hints of ruby
S: instant pilsner malt, some thick chocolate richness and dark fruit, full and sweet
T: wow this beer is sweet, I mean not even a hint of hoppy bitterness, caramel malts and a lighter bodied chocolate dominate this beer, but there's a bit of that pilsner malt that hangs around and is odd but not off putting, some cherry notes come in and marry with the caramel malts and add a tartness to the sweet
M: a bit dry but not too dry, pleasant, the sweetness in the taste distracts from the dryness in a way that I wish it did not
O: quite pleasant, but too sweet for me, I think the prominence of the pilsner malts is a nice and interesting touch, would be a great introduction to belgian strong dark ales, very accessible, but suitably complex, not my favorite, but not bad, will age some in hopes that the sweetness will dissipate some

Observation made later, after this original review: I can't lie to myself anymore, this is not a good beer, it is unbearably sweet

2.83/5  rDev -34%

Pours a rich brown color with minimal head. Smell is malty and sweet with some mild fruity notes - prune and plums mostly. Taste was sweet with lots of caramel flavors and some mild chocolate. Thought it was close to a dubbel with the high caramel taste. Sticky sweetness on the tongue. Overall, I thought this was tough to drink, but I am not a fan of dubbels and this one reminded me too much of that style. Not a bad beer but not a fan of beers with lots of caramel flavors and taste.

2.89/5  rDev -32.6%

2006 vintage. Purchased at Whole Foods.

A: The beer pours a dark amber, leaving a thin head that quickly dissolves. Very minimal lacing.

S: The beer is overwhelmingly dominated by the smell of bananas and caramel; also, lots of spices which I can't quite distinguish.

T: I'm experiencing a very strong maple taste that I don't particularly enjoy. The high alcohol content is very evident and the spices are overwhelming any other taste in this beer. I have to admit, this is probably the sweetest beer I've ever had.

M: The beer is medium bodied and coats the mouth well, but because I didn't particularly enjoy the taste, it's not really a beer I plan to sip.

D: I'll probably never try this beer again. In my estimation, the beer is overspiced and way too sweet. Some, however, may enjoy these qualities and would appreciate the beer more than do I.

2.95/5  rDev -31.2%

2010 vintage, poured into a Chimay chalice

A: Dark brown with almost a rose color at the edges of the glass. The light tan head is pretty small, maybe 1/2 a finger's width, and does not have much retention, though it leaves some nice lacing and keeps a patchy covering on the surface of the beer.

S: Some sweet malts and a heavy dose of grapes, mixed with some bready yeast. Really interesting and lovely aroma.

T: Wow. I was sold on this beer until I actually tasted it. Up front, the taste is lovely and matches the aroma: some malts, a nice hit of yeast and the grape flavor. Unfortunately, after that flavor there is nothing but sweetness. Overt, cloying unbalanced sweetness. That flavor lingers in the back of the throat for a while, and is actually pretty nice once the majority of the flavor fades. Alcohol gently warms the throat, though it is well hidden in the actual flavor profile. I am pretty sure that there is a good beer here, just hidden behind a disgusting amount of sweetness.

M: Pretty heavy body, lots of carbonation and slightly sticky.

D: Honestly, I do not find this beer drinkable at all. It is way too sweet, and I don't even know if I can finish a single glass, let alone an entire 750 bottle. So unbalanced, and if I wanted something that tasted like this I would buy some grape syrup.

2.98/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really don't see what all the buzz is about with this beer. Had the 2008 version. It was way too sweet with a super thick mouthfeel. I can't put my finger on it but I think it is the huge amount of Belgian esters combined with a ton of candy sugar and malts. I think it's too much and I drain poured.

3.03/5  rDev -29.4%

I strike this one from the cellar for unknown reasons, or at least logic. It just struck me to break it out, a 2009 version it be. Poured from a corked 750 ml. bottle into a large wine glass. This beer pours a clear deep brown with mahogany highlights. A half inch of foam settles out to a light film and throws off some lacing. Yeast influemce is oddly lacking.

Aroma is malty with deep ruddy caramel notes and a touch of yeast and some fruity vinous notes. Rather bock like on the nose, fruity and potent. Touch of alcohol with some warming. Good but not quite in line with a BSDA initially, though fighting it's way up through the glass. Yeast influemce is oddly lacking.

Flavor is sweet and fruity and perhaps to a fault. Sweetness of the delivery is the weakness of this beer, again being reminiscent of a bock beer. Alcohol does reveal itself with warming. Sweet and vinous yet pleasant in flavor and with a firm booziness.

Malty, caramel and with a bit of chocolate. I'm just not impressed with this beer. But then I'm never been impressed by this brewery either. Bit mucky and one dimensional for my tastes.

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

07 on-tap at 3Fs pub.
A: served in tulip. deep ruby/chestnut/amber. slight haze. nice light tan head.
S: dark candied fruits mostly. rummy booze. some earthy spice and funk and dark caramel/nutty malts.
T: dark belgian candy sugar, dark dried fruit, roasted nuts. has a cough syrup thing going on. hops very understated.
M: medium bodied, well-carbonated, a bit of a sweet and sour finish. bit of a lingering medicinal cough syrup thing in the aftertaste.
D: definitely a sipper, tough to finish.

3.08/5  rDev -28.2%

Just a quickie today - lots of football to watch! And honestly, what guy doesn't like one every now and then? This is the 2009 version of the ale, btw...

Pours a dark amber, like dark maple syrup, with good carbonation. Two finger rocky head settles into a nice, short creamy head and leaves sheets of lacing. Nice. You can really smell the 11% ABV in here. Some other things apparent in the smell are sweet apple, some tart berry notes, like strawberry, and some minor metallic notes (which I don't like). Surprisingly subtle, actually. Whoa, the flavor is sweet. Like honey. It's slick and syrupy, but only slightly so. This will be cloying to many. The alcohol is very forward in this. Some other items in the flavor = fig, candy corn, and also a hint of blackberry jam. Very expensive at $11.99/750ml bottle. This is a novelty beer by all accounts.

What I like most: The nice looking pour and aspects of the crazy flavor profile.

What I like least: Price and excessive alcohol notes in the nose and flavor.

Verdict: Too expensive to be worth it, many better in the style can be found.

3.16/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle shared at a tasting. Pours dark maroon with a thin beige head. Smell is dark fruit, bubble gum and is slightly vinuous in the nose as well. Taste is dark fruit, winelike and semi dry in the finish with some belgian candi-sugar. Medium to thin body and lightly prickly carbonation. A touch boozy, and pretty nice for the style, though.

3.16/5  rDev -26.3%

This was the 2012 vintage that I got a glass of at a tasting. I've seen this on the shelves plenty and never bothered to pick one up, good thing. Dark brown almost black color. Smell is sickly sweet fruits and belgian yeast. Flavor is more of the same, a heavy melange of spices, fruits, sugary sweetness, just overwhelming. This was not bad it was just too much.

3.22/5  rDev -24.9%

750ml corked and caged bottle with 2006 printed on the neck label. Poured a medium slightly hazy brown with a 1 finger head, OK longevity and lace. Aromas of candi sugar, sherry, dried fruits and somewhat yeasty and bready. The alcohol really comes through upon tasting. Its sweeter that I expected. Lots of sherry and dried fruit flavors but not as rich as is needed to tone down the 10% abv. If this beer was about 6 or 7% it would be awesome, but the alcohol is just too potent. It's going to be tough to down this 750 myself.

3.25/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle poured to open beer challice. Served 'chilled' at approx. 55 degrees

A) Very dark brown, clear with small lacy head.

S) Like a bakery -- sweet bread, pie, cookie dough. A lot going on here. Hint of citrus and spice

T) Very sweet, brandy, sticky thick maple syrup. Malty with mild hops

M) A bit flat. Could use a bit more bottle conditioned fiz.

D) A tad too sweet for me

3.31/5  rDev -22.8%

Poured from 2008 vintage bottle into chimay glass.

A - Poured dark brown color with huge head that slowly dissipated leaving lots of lacing around the glass.

S - Very boozy with earthy scents. Lots of sweetness, dark fruits, nuts, and bready aroma.

T - Alcohol just explodes at the start hiding almost everything else in this beer. Sweetness is followed and stays there towards the finish.

M - Full bodied with high carbonation.

D - Definitely a sipping beer with alcohol not masked at all. It dominates everything else. I would avoid this beer in the future.

3.33/5  rDev -22.4%

I had this from a bottle at the Stuffed Sandwich in Los Angeles. It was served in a paper cup (!) as that's how they do it there. If you ever go there bring a glass... They said the bottle was >5 yrs old, and it was kind of small (25cl). The color was brown and it had a sweet sugary aroma.

The flavor was kind of wierd, almost like a sweet cough syrup. Honestly I don't think it was my style of beer. Maybe it tasted different when it was newer.

Maybe I'll try it again someday to see if it's different fresh.

3.34/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

2005.

A - Into da snifta. Pours a hazy, opaque brown with a wispy white head, made of of big bubbles. Kinda ugly. Bits of lacing but nothing standout.

S - Grape brandy, brown sugar, cinnamon, prunes, alcohol, Belgian yeasty goodness.

T - Booze, dark fruits like plums, raisins, cherries all make an appearance. Also a big molassesy, brown sugary sweetness. A wet cardboard staleness jumps in for a moment, and finishes quite sweet. REALLY sweet.

M - Should have more carbonation. My biggest gripe about the entire brew.

D - Cloying, plus lack of carbonation makes this rather unappetizing. Getting through this 750 is proving to be rather tough.

Notes: I had lowered my expectations after trying the Rood, but this didn't even meet those. It smells and even tastes good, but the lack of carbonation threw me off quite a bit.

I may blame this on a bad bottle, but I won't pay the price of admission on this one again.

3.37/5  rDev -21.4%

A - Dark reddish-brown translucent body with very minimal head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing and the carbonation looks a bit low.

S - Very sweet, fruity aroma; a very faint hint of alcohol. I can smell hints of plums and cherries, but they are very faint (even more so than the alcohol).

T - Not much to write home about, the taste is moderately sweet and has a bit of warmth at the end. There is absolutely no bitterness at all. This one is far from complex.

M - Surprisingly thin body and very little carbonation make this a bit unimpressive for me. It's not bad; just average.

O - This 2010 bottle isn't very impressive. It's not a bad beer, but just rather average. Reading some other reviews, it seems I may be in the minority with my opinion, but when compared to the various Trappist strong dark ales, this one just doesn't stand up.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

Pop the cork in a sink to be safe. Mine overflowed, but I had a glass ready and only lost about a half an ounce.

Wow.. I have to agree with anyone who said that the odor of bananas was profound. That's pretty much all I smell. This is going to be a sweet quaff.

Poured into a thin 12 oz pilsner. Head is pretty standard for the style. Minimal lacing. Thick, tiny bubbles. Head settles to about 1/4". Pours a little darker than the brown glass bottle.

First taste, my buds are inundated by the banana odor and I can think of nothing else. Phenols, yeast, sugar. Too sweet. Very thick. Malt and earthy fruits dominate this beer, as they should any belgian ale, but this is almost absurd. If you like that sort of thing, more power to you. The flavors are just a little too intense here, and they cling to the palate for a long time after you swallow a sip. Even swishing with water can't clean things off.

There is no need for me to have 750ml of this beer. Unless you are sharing this with someone else, there is no reason for you to do the same.

3.38/5  rDev -21.2%

2008 on neck. Served in Chimay goblet.

Pours a clear dark ruby-brown. A finger's worth of tan head falls quickly. About half the glass is covered in sheets of foam that diminish to a fine lace.

Aroma is strong and prominent during the pour. Brown sugar and dark fruits. Doughy bread. Spice with a hint of clove. Heavy handed alcohol.

Flavor starts heavily sweet, syrupy, which is cut by spice. Alcoholic heat and dryness take over the finish. A medium light body but with a syrupy quality. Lively carbonation that is alternatively tamed by the syrup and distractingly prickly.

This is a tricky brew. Light, but sweet, coating, and filling. The alcohol and sweetness make it interesting for a glass, but wearying after that.

3.39/5  rDev -21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured a murky dirty brown with a thin off white soap ring head.

The smell has some nice belgian yeast notes along with hints of fig, raison, and plum with a touch of banana esters. Very sweet candy like.

The flavor is overly sweet to me, almost just a big blast of brown sugar and dark fruit, not much else going on.

The mouthfeel is very creamy and silky smooth.

Not real high on my list of Belgian Darks.

3.41/5  rDev -20.5%

Bottled 2002. Murky chestnut brown hue. Creamy beige head with homogenously sized bubbles. Intricate webs of lace remain. Vinous waft of sherryish fruit upfront in aroma tapers, allowing sugary dark caramel and clove to emerge. Hint of must and butter. Mellow banana esters surface as the beer breathes. Functional, but not overly enticing aromawise. Mild honey like sweetness hits the palate initially, then yields to a bitterish melange of bread crust and powdered baker's chocolate. Sweetness then resumes, this time of a clean, molasses tinged dark caramel nature. Herbal, clove phenol appears late, and detracts from the malt character, which had almost developed into a rich, carob undertone. Lightly bodied and well attenuated, but the paltry hop bitterness leaves overall balance well skewed towards malt sweetness. Finishes with a snap of clove laced sweetness, but otherwise dry and clean. It's certainly a flavorful brew, but residual and caramel malt derived sweetness clashed somewhat with the phenols, thus preventing greatness. This bottle was quite young. Definitely a beer worthy of cellaring.

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) from Brouwerij Het Anker