Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) | Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)
Liked This Beer
4.3 w/ 1,833 ratings
Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker

4.3/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,833 |  Reviews: 891
3.62/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Sort of a orange/golden/amber color beer with a little haze and some pretty good active carbonation. The head poured huge and is still about a finger tall. Way to light and foamy, though the bottle does call it a blonde.

S: Vanilla, a little fruit, particularly bananas. Also just a little of that standard Belgian smell. Though you know, there is almost just the slightest hotness of alcohol to the smell. And it's not that strong.

T: Taste is pretty identical to the smell, though no alcohol. Very smooth, but I wish it was more hard hitting. I don't find it particularly dark or hard, but the bottle's description was accurate enough. I don't know, I'm not finding a lot to say about this beer, I'm just not finding much there. Maybe there's some corriander or something that I'm getting just at the very end.

M: Kinda has a little bit of carbonationy sharpness to it. But other than that, nothing to complain about, sort of thick, but not heavy? Does that make sense?

D: Drinkable, but not very high drinkability to me. Much too light, though the ABV is well hidden.

2.12/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.75

Poured from 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass

This beer was such an interesting twist on what I had expected. First off the beer pours like a quad, light brown with a good amiunt of head. That was the best part of this beer. After that all I could smell and taste was sweetness. It's like the brewer took tons of sugar and mixed it with a pound of yeast and hops. A lot of these reciews say to age for 4 years before it becomes good. But why would you want to buy a beer you have to age that long before it becomes good. To me if they would have lowered the sweetness it could have been much better.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The bottle states 2004, 10% alc, and Grand Cru of the Emperor. When I popped the 750ml bottle which was caged and corked, it immediately started to foam out the top. I lost a couple of ounces.

Pours out a cloudy dark brown with a small head that seems to be building. The smell is superb. Reminds me of Ommegang. Chocolate, raisins and figs come through. Solid malt and brown sugar as well.

Taste is a bit sweeter than I expected. At least in the beginning. The middle and end give way to more of the chocolate and sugar as well as a slight alcohol note. Overall a wonderful beer. I would love to try any of their other beers as well.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

4.09/5  rDev -4.9%

2013 bottle.
This was poured into a snifter and shared with a good buddy for Christmas.
The appearance was a nice looking dark brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within about a minute. Light lacing was left in rings here and there.
The smell had a nice sweet raisin to light champagne-like effervescence. Nice and sweet booze amplifies in a sticky Belgian sort of way.
The taste had a modified sweetness, light boozy sweet raisin again with a standard light Belgian spice. There's a nice Belgian sweet semi-yeasty/bready raisin aftertaste leading to a sweet sticky finish.
The mouthfeel sat about a medium on the body with a good sipping quality about it. The carbonation was fairly smooth and rolled nicely across my tongue.
Overall, this was a really nice Belgian Strong Dark Ale. It really held up well from 2013.

3.92/5  rDev -8.8%

Part of a tasting with northyorksammy, biegaman, grub, and derek. Thanks guys!

This is the second bottle of this I've reviewed, a vintage 2002 (the other was 2005, I think).

Poured a cloudy, brownish gold into the sample glass. Aroma is boozy candy sugar.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thick and oily. Dominant flavours are toffee/caramel malts with a lot of sherry or port flavour showing up at it warms. Alcohol also becomes more and more obvious at room temperature.

Very nice, not sure which I liked better.

4.28/5  rDev -0.5%

Happy 24th birthday to me!

Pours a dark, dark amber-brown. One finger head, but nice and full. Always leaves neat lacing all around the glass, like it was spray-painted on. Whenever it's disturbed, there's always a burst of fizz going on - a great looking beer. Smells strongly of raisins, a little other stuff like date, maybe fig. A bit tart. Very sweet at the same time, also very boozey.

On the sweet side, lingering impression on the palate is very sweet malt. Also got something funky going on that's hard for me to pinpoint, either it's licorice, or something similar. Sweet malt and candied sugar, raisiny, very lightly hopped. A very rich, thick beer with those layers of complexity that you love to feel. A bit spicy at the end. Chewy, yet super smooth, and it just loves to roll off the tongue. Pretty high carbonation for the style. Drinkability is high because of the above, but I also think it's a bit boozey, and that detracts a bit. It's been a great sipper for me tonight, where normally I would be all over something like this. Still very worthy, though.

4.2/5  rDev -2.3%

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

750ml corked and caged bottle served in an oversized wineglass. 2008 vintage.

pours an opaque deep mahogany tone with ruddy highlights; finger plus of a creamy khaki colored head; decent retention, nice walls of lacing. nice looking brew.

the nose is malty sweet, replete with dark fruits, cherry, spice, fig, belgian yeast, and maybe a touch of molasses. pretty much what i look for in my BSDAs.

flavor closely follows the aroma, opening with a strong cherry presence, followed by spices, plum, raisin, fig, and caramel malts. bit of warming alcohol to the finish, but other than that the 11% ABV is very well-hidden. tasty, tasty.

has a full bodied mouthfeel with adequate carbonation; very drinkable for a beer this big. exceptional belgian strong dark ale.

4.41/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.43/5  rDev +3%

This is a very good beer that I am happy I could get the opportunity to try. Appearance is thick like velvet with a dark brown hue and slight head. Smell and taste are fairly similar, however the complexities of the beer are just more overwhelmingly apparent in the taste. Brown sugar, milk chocolate are the dominating flavors up front. Very sweet but not overpoweringly so. Lots of dark fruit esters make the slight boozy taste fade away at the end. Very complex and delicious. Mouthfeel is thick and velvety, amazing. Drinkability is so good, expecially given the alchohol content.

4.08/5  rDev -5.1%

A- Pours a deep, dark reddish hue with a nice little eggshell white head which stays on top of this brew for quite a while.

S- Smell is dominated by a sweet banana character which kind of dominates the nose but lying behind it are spices and a yeasty distinctly belgian character to it.

T- Taste is super sweet at the begining, dark yet fruity sustained by a deep malt breadiness which leads into an alcohol warming. The alcohol is covered up masterfully. Not my usual beer but it is making me reconsider the Belgian Strong Dark Ale Style.

M- Thick and creamy with a just the right amount of carbonation bite at the end.

D- I really wanted to not like this beer. I often find myself not liking a lot of Belgian beers unless they are done really well ... and this one is. That being said it is going to be hard for me to finish this whole bottle, I think sipping on one glass is awesome though.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

3.73/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.57/5  rDev +6.3%

Had this on tap at Teresa's and tasted with jac5084 and nittanybeerfan.

A: Incredible red wine color with a hint of brown. This one yields no head nor does it lace. Neither of which I was expecting.

S: Wow I feel like I'm at a wine tasting or something. Smells like red wine, vinegar, dark fruits (raisins, plums), and some alcohol with yeast funk.

T: Absolutely incredible. Very wine-like merlot with vinegar notes and fruits. It is a syrupy feel, but there is also ample carbonation that makes the beer just perfect.

Overall, this one lives up to its name. It is like no other beer I have had

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.97/5  rDev +15.6%

This is quite possibly the best beer I have ever consumed. Absolutly perfect in every way as far as I'm concerned. I had a couple bottles last year (2004), and I think that the 2005 is slightly better. I bought one bottle this year the first time I saw it, and it was so good that I went back the next day and purchased a whole case! (It comes in a really sweet wooden crate too)

Mouthfeel is exceptional, with flavors of dark dried fruits, caramel, and a slight hint of mocha. This beer hides it's alcohol exceptionally well, but still will warm you from the insides out. The aroma is dominated by sweet caramel, with hints or raisons and dates shining through. Head dissapates relatively quickly, but a fair amount of lacing remains. While most belgians (doubles, triples, any really) should be served mostly warm, I enjoy chilling this one, and letting it develop as it warms.

When I bought the twelve bottle case, I removed the heavy duty staples from the lid, and opened it to make sure that everything looked OK on the inside. I then used nails to re-seal the case, and don't plan on opening it for at LEAST 3 years. The info sheet I found inside the case lists the shelf life of this beer in a cellar as "10+ years". After tasting it, I plan to buy a full case every year, and to start a vertical tasting every year with some good friends.

Honestly though.... this beer is pure nirvana. I find it to be similar in flavor and character to Rochfort 12, but for some reason, I give the edge to the Cuvee Van De Keizer. Simply the best beer in the world. Unmatched in every category as far as I'm concerned!

4.47/5  rDev +4%

750ml Bottle, 2009 vintage, Poured into my Duvel Tulip.

Appearance: Deep dark brown, nice light tan head that builds initially to about an inch but quickly fades to about a 1/16", excellent lacing.

Smell: Wow, really nice nose with a caramel malty sweetness, dark fruits and nicely complex undertones.

Taste: Very delicious beer, deep complexity, but malty sweetness is up front, the dark fruit (raisin) comes through nicely. This is sweeter quad but not cloying at all.

Mouth feel: Extremely smooth and although sweet it does not coat the palate.

Drinkability: Very drinkable, maybe too much so due to the high ABV. It was very easy to down this whole bottle pretty quickly because it goes down so easily and so flavorful.

4.46/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a Westmalle Chalice. 2012 vintage, probably a tad too cool when I first popped and poured.

A: A very dark chestnut / maple brown with a fair amount of murk to it. Even with an aggressive first pour, the head was less than a finger of caramel colored lacey head. Nice retention. Looked better on the second pour with nearly 2 fingers of thick Belgian head.

N: Amazingly complex aroma bucket. Primarily dark fruits like prunes, figs and raisins, but light citrusy and apple esters as well. Background of roasted nuts and sweet caramel malts. Smells very sweet and a bit boozy, but in a good way.

T: Wow. As expected, a very complex tasting beer which really evolved over the 45 minutes it took me to sip down this 750ml bottle. In a blind taste, I would guess this were a quadrupel, not a strong dark ale. A very sweet beer, actually a little too sweet for me, with an emphasis on sugared figs and very ripe prunes. Nice foundation of caramel malts is complemented by the slightest hint of pear or apples. But primary flavors are sweet dark fruits and roasted nutty malts. Delicious. I found this 11%ABV to be less well disguised than other BSDA / quads, and I think the sweetness kind of punctuated and accentuated the alcohol for me.

MF: A very smooth and silky, luxurious mouthfeel, on the lighter side of medium for me. A little more carbonation in the mouth than you see in the glass, but I would still call it a low carbonation beer. Pleasantly warming without being stinging or astringent.

Overall, this is a lovely beer. I'm sure it would age well, and I would recommend letting it warm to 52F before even popping the cork. Not something you could session and definitely a slow sipper, but this is a lovely , big Belgian Strong Dark Ale, with all the intricacy you would expect, and more.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%