Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) | Brouwerij Het Anker

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)
4.3/5
Outstanding
Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue)

Brouwerij Het Anker
hetanker.be

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by BeerAdvocate on 11-03-2002

#553

Ratings: 1,861 |  Reviews: 898
2.89/5  rDev -32.8%

2006 vintage. Purchased at Whole Foods.

A: The beer pours a dark amber, leaving a thin head that quickly dissolves. Very minimal lacing.

S: The beer is overwhelmingly dominated by the smell of bananas and caramel; also, lots of spices which I can't quite distinguish.

T: I'm experiencing a very strong maple taste that I don't particularly enjoy. The high alcohol content is very evident and the spices are overwhelming any other taste in this beer. I have to admit, this is probably the sweetest beer I've ever had.

M: The beer is medium bodied and coats the mouth well, but because I didn't particularly enjoy the taste, it's not really a beer I plan to sip.

D: I'll probably never try this beer again. In my estimation, the beer is overspiced and way too sweet. Some, however, may enjoy these qualities and would appreciate the beer more than do I.

2.95/5  rDev -31.4%

2010 vintage, poured into a Chimay chalice

A: Dark brown with almost a rose color at the edges of the glass. The light tan head is pretty small, maybe 1/2 a finger's width, and does not have much retention, though it leaves some nice lacing and keeps a patchy covering on the surface of the beer.

S: Some sweet malts and a heavy dose of grapes, mixed with some bready yeast. Really interesting and lovely aroma.

T: Wow. I was sold on this beer until I actually tasted it. Up front, the taste is lovely and matches the aroma: some malts, a nice hit of yeast and the grape flavor. Unfortunately, after that flavor there is nothing but sweetness. Overt, cloying unbalanced sweetness. That flavor lingers in the back of the throat for a while, and is actually pretty nice once the majority of the flavor fades. Alcohol gently warms the throat, though it is well hidden in the actual flavor profile. I am pretty sure that there is a good beer here, just hidden behind a disgusting amount of sweetness.

M: Pretty heavy body, lots of carbonation and slightly sticky.

D: Honestly, I do not find this beer drinkable at all. It is way too sweet, and I don't even know if I can finish a single glass, let alone an entire 750 bottle. So unbalanced, and if I wanted something that tasted like this I would buy some grape syrup.

2.98/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really don't see what all the buzz is about with this beer. Had the 2008 version. It was way too sweet with a super thick mouthfeel. I can't put my finger on it but I think it is the huge amount of Belgian esters combined with a ton of candy sugar and malts. I think it's too much and I drain poured.

3.03/5  rDev -29.5%

I strike this one from the cellar for unknown reasons, or at least logic. It just struck me to break it out, a 2009 version it be. Poured from a corked 750 ml. bottle into a large wine glass. This beer pours a clear deep brown with mahogany highlights. A half inch of foam settles out to a light film and throws off some lacing. Yeast influemce is oddly lacking.

Aroma is malty with deep ruddy caramel notes and a touch of yeast and some fruity vinous notes. Rather bock like on the nose, fruity and potent. Touch of alcohol with some warming. Good but not quite in line with a BSDA initially, though fighting it's way up through the glass. Yeast influemce is oddly lacking.

Flavor is sweet and fruity and perhaps to a fault. Sweetness of the delivery is the weakness of this beer, again being reminiscent of a bock beer. Alcohol does reveal itself with warming. Sweet and vinous yet pleasant in flavor and with a firm booziness.

Malty, caramel and with a bit of chocolate. I'm just not impressed with this beer. But then I'm never been impressed by this brewery either. Bit mucky and one dimensional for my tastes.

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

07 on-tap at 3Fs pub.
A: served in tulip. deep ruby/chestnut/amber. slight haze. nice light tan head.
S: dark candied fruits mostly. rummy booze. some earthy spice and funk and dark caramel/nutty malts.
T: dark belgian candy sugar, dark dried fruit, roasted nuts. has a cough syrup thing going on. hops very understated.
M: medium bodied, well-carbonated, a bit of a sweet and sour finish. bit of a lingering medicinal cough syrup thing in the aftertaste.
D: definitely a sipper, tough to finish.

3.08/5  rDev -28.4%

Just a quickie today - lots of football to watch! And honestly, what guy doesn't like one every now and then? This is the 2009 version of the ale, btw...

Pours a dark amber, like dark maple syrup, with good carbonation. Two finger rocky head settles into a nice, short creamy head and leaves sheets of lacing. Nice. You can really smell the 11% ABV in here. Some other things apparent in the smell are sweet apple, some tart berry notes, like strawberry, and some minor metallic notes (which I don't like). Surprisingly subtle, actually. Whoa, the flavor is sweet. Like honey. It's slick and syrupy, but only slightly so. This will be cloying to many. The alcohol is very forward in this. Some other items in the flavor = fig, candy corn, and also a hint of blackberry jam. Very expensive at $11.99/750ml bottle. This is a novelty beer by all accounts.

What I like most: The nice looking pour and aspects of the crazy flavor profile.

What I like least: Price and excessive alcohol notes in the nose and flavor.

Verdict: Too expensive to be worth it, many better in the style can be found.

3.14/5  rDev -27%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

This is an ok beer

3.16/5  rDev -26.5%

Bottle shared at a tasting. Pours dark maroon with a thin beige head. Smell is dark fruit, bubble gum and is slightly vinuous in the nose as well. Taste is dark fruit, winelike and semi dry in the finish with some belgian candi-sugar. Medium to thin body and lightly prickly carbonation. A touch boozy, and pretty nice for the style, though.

3.16/5  rDev -26.5%

This was the 2012 vintage that I got a glass of at a tasting. I've seen this on the shelves plenty and never bothered to pick one up, good thing. Dark brown almost black color. Smell is sickly sweet fruits and belgian yeast. Flavor is more of the same, a heavy melange of spices, fruits, sugary sweetness, just overwhelming. This was not bad it was just too much.

3.19/5  rDev -25.8%

3.22/5  rDev -25.1%

750ml corked and caged bottle with 2006 printed on the neck label. Poured a medium slightly hazy brown with a 1 finger head, OK longevity and lace. Aromas of candi sugar, sherry, dried fruits and somewhat yeasty and bready. The alcohol really comes through upon tasting. Its sweeter that I expected. Lots of sherry and dried fruit flavors but not as rich as is needed to tone down the 10% abv. If this beer was about 6 or 7% it would be awesome, but the alcohol is just too potent. It's going to be tough to down this 750 myself.

3.23/5  rDev -24.9%

3.25/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

750 ml bottle poured to open beer challice. Served 'chilled' at approx. 55 degrees

A) Very dark brown, clear with small lacy head.

S) Like a bakery -- sweet bread, pie, cookie dough. A lot going on here. Hint of citrus and spice

T) Very sweet, brandy, sticky thick maple syrup. Malty with mild hops

M) A bit flat. Could use a bit more bottle conditioned fiz.

D) A tad too sweet for me

Cuvée Van De Keizer Blauw (Blue) from Brouwerij Het Anker