Coup De Grisou | Brasseurs R.J.

good
Coup De GrisouCoup De Grisou

Brasseurs R.J.
Quebec, Canada
brasseursrj.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by SixpointJMH on 09-27-2003

4.89/5  rDev +32.9%

It pours a luscious head with a hazy orange body. You can immediately smell the spiciness to come. There is a tangy citrus scent mixed with a woody smell. A rich flavour of coriander, citrus zest and yeasty goodness goes down smoothly and ends with a gentle fizz. this is probably my favourite Quebec micro-beer. it's great in summer as it is refreshing but equally good in cold weather as it has a warm spiciness. this is a weakly written review of an exceptional beer.

4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

4.32/5  rDev +17.4%

One of my buddies was good enough to bring this back from Canada for me. Served in a pint glass, this pours a hazy orange color with a good sized white head. Aroma is very pleasant, yeasty and fruity. The taste is also very impressive; the coriander is at the forefront without overpowering the drink. I'd have to describe it as something between a witbier and a Belgian pale ale. Extremely drinkable, plus at 5% it won't knock you on your behind. My only regret is that this isn't available in my neck of the woods.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

4.14/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another super nice beer. The color is a powerfull and attractive nice orange. The smell is like other White Belgian I had. I love that smell. This buckwheat beer, will become easily one of the beer I buy often.... if I can find it.... near my hometown.

The taste is very nice and distinctive. These beer are among my favorite one.

The 341 ml bottle with a ABV of 5.0% came from a 12 pack Degustation box, from the brewer RJ of Montréal.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

Orangish beer that is very cloudy with a two finger thick lassing that dissapear to leave a foamy sticky foam to the glass.

Smell is very fruity, coriander and some other spices come into play. Her taste is quite smooth, the spices hit you first followed by a shy caramel malt note and ends with some shy hops bitterness. The yeast is also present, some cereals flavours come in too with an aftertaste of water that actually comes and ruins this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

A coworker of mine brought me back a bottle of this from her trip home to Quebec recently, what a great surprise. Came in a 660 ml brown bottle. The label is a bit macabre, there is a man leaning backwards clutching his head in his hands like he is in torment (bad hangover?--it's only 5% buddy), while a boulder falls from the sky behind him. It's a great looking ale though, nice coppery/amber body, lots of suspended yeast particles, huge creamy off-white head that lingers a very long time. Wonderful nose to it, intense coriander, sweet banana, clove, quite grassy as well. Flavour is rich and citrusy sweet, there's a lemony bite in the aftertaste. Full mouthfeel at first, but it goes oily on the finish. A very pleasing ale, I couldn't drink a lot of these in one sitting, but I'm sure going to enjoy finishing this particular glass.

4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

Thanks to my Montreal beer bud Troy for getting me this one during a late night poutine run!

A-Cloudy orangish-yellow with a medium off-white head that left spotty lacing.

S-Somewhat sour (in a good way) citrus scent and floral aromas. A bit musty as well with some graininess too.

T-Good flavours of lemon,caramel malt and a bready maltness. All blend well and are light overall.

M-Medium-light body with good crispness and a nice smoothness.

D-A light session beer WITH flavour. If I could get this more often this could easily become one of my "go to" beers of choice! Nothing crazy here....just good with a twist.

4.09/5  rDev +11.1%

Appearance – Light, very cloudy orange in color with a decent head that went down cleanly.

Smell – Similar to a Belgian Pale, this nose is sweet with a nice yeast backbone. The fruits are summery light. The winners here though are the spices. They are just beautifully done. I’m not sure what all they are, but I could smell this ale all day long.

Taste – The flavors here are light yet very distinctive. The juicy apricot is mixed with juicy tangerine and juicy peach, if you get my drift. The backbone is a subtle yeast, and I never would have noticed the faint buckwheat if I hadn’t known to look for it. The spices are wonderful at the tongue as well.

Mouthfeel – This one has a light, summertime mouthfeel with some nice carbonation and a pronounced spiciness at the finish.

Drinkability – This is a terrific seasonal from Quebec.

Comments – Big thanks to Rastacouere for putting together this monster trade (which I’ve been sampling for a month now) and for including this fine and very unique offering from Brasseur RJ.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%

Served in a chilled glass

Appearance - beer pours a hazy ale colour with a lot of sediments floating around. Head is white in colour and very fizzy and noisy! There is some minimal lacing occurring.

Smell - i can pick up orange peel, wheat, some vanilla as well.

Taste - very good tasting beer, light and even. i can pick up some orange right away, followed by some subtle wheat flavours. The vanilla comes in at the end.

Mouthfeel - added carbonation makes the beer a little more flavoured, however, the taste remains the same. found the slight "tang" went away during the mouthfeel.

Drinkability - fantastic beer, would stock and share with friend again!

4.03/5  rDev +9.5%

4.01/5  rDev +9%

Bottle Inspection: Great art. I checked what the name means, it seems to refer to a mine explosion, which would explain the expression on the guy. Label notes coriander and buckwheat and yeast in the bottle (which was left behind on the pour). Brown twisty bottle.

Aroma: Smokey? Coriander Rules! I’m a fool for it though. Some other light spices, vanilla, nutmeg, orange peel. All in all, enchanting.

Appearance: Oddly, viewed from the side it showed significant hazy, but it was clear when viewed from the top. Holds a collar of white foam, but little to no lace.

Flavor: Cola flavors from the coriander, lemon, orange, wheat, but mostly coriander, and lots of it. Again, I love the stuff.

Mouthfeel: Fizzy carbonation, light body.

Overall Impression: Did I mention I love coriander? This gets high marks from me just based on that. It could use some more base to hold and support the spices though.

Hand carried back from Montreal.

Bottle: Poured a medium brown color ale with generous head that goes away too quickly. Aroma is quite complex with definitely some buckwheat and a few spices (probably some coriander mix with something else) completed with Cheval Blanc usual yeast. Taste is quite complex with the roasted buckwheat hitting you right at the beginning and then coriander mixing quite nicely with the yeast. I waited a while until I could pick-up a fresh sample before rating this since I’ve noticed that it doesn’t aged very well.

Appearance: A cloudy orange brew with lots of carbonation.

Smell: A sweet and spicy aroma of buckwheat. It is very sexy to smell.

Taste: Usually, I don't like much wheat beers, but its spicy aspect makes me liking this one. Very tasty.

Mouthfeel: One of the most interesting mouthfeel I ever had.

Drinkability: It makes a really good job in the traditional world of beer brewing.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

3.97/5  rDev +7.9%

Loads of sediment apparent on the pour, suspended in small chunks throughout the beer. Dark orange-honey colour, very cloudy. A small head dissipates to a thin, bubbly layer. Not a bad looking beer besides all the sediment.

Strong smell of oranges, corriander, sweet, refreshing citrus.

Medium carbonation and body.

Taste of corriander, caramel, yeast and wheat. Smooth and nicely spiced.

The only downside is the label, which prevented me from buying it for the longest time. This is possibly the worst beer label I've ever seen! It doesn't make any sense...what's supposed to be happening to that guy? A bunch of boulders are flying at him and he looks like he's writhing in pain. Doesn't really make me want to drink beer. Any French speakers have any idea what a Coup de Grisou is? Maybe that explains it.

I could probably drink a few of these. Nice beer, in spite of the label.

EDIT: I figured out what the name is all about. Grisou translates to firedamp in English, which is a flammable gas found in coal mines. Sometimes it ignites and produces explosions, which is known as a 'coup de grisou' en francais. The picture on the label must be of such an explosion, the guy getting hit with flying debris. I still have no idea why someone would name a beer this, but at least it doesn't seem quite so random anymore. I guess it's supposed to represent an explosion of flavour.

Coup De Grisou from Brasseurs R.J.