Brune D'Achouffe | Brasseurs R.J.

good

Style: Belgian Strong Dark Ale

Added by UnionMade on 10-26-2002

3.7

4.44/5  rDev +20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've seen this beer in two different bottles for two different prices, I believe because a brewery in Quebec produces the recipe from a Belgian brewery. The bottle I had said Brasseur RJ so I'll review it here. Overall I was extremely pleased with this beer. It had a nice brown color, but what got me was the taste. I loved the deep spicy flavor that stimulated various regions on my tongue. Truly a beer built to withstand a Quebec winter, which may explain why it flies off the shelves of the stores I frequent. I'd love to drink it slowly throughout the night, but could also drink it quickly as well if the situation demanded it. What stands out in the smell and the taste of the beer is the spice. I'm not sure exactly what the blend is, but its kind of rich, like maybe a clove-cinnamon-ginger type of thing. I'll be looking to pair this with whatever I can.

4.35/5  rDev +17.6%

Appearance – This one poured a beautiful brown in color with an orangish tint and a nice, tan head that left a big foamy dollop on top of the liquid.

Smell – The dough and yeast came out nicely here. The malts are dark and lightly burnt like toast. The big spicing was needed to offset the bitter, rindy orange notes.

Taste – The crisp, wonderful doughy yeast came out big and rank. It almost had a hint of sourness to it like you get with yeast that’s really hot and expanding. The spicing was a little lighter at the tongue but powdery. The orange notes from the nose turned into a wonderful orange juice sweetness at the finish.

Mouthfeel – This BSDA was crisp and well-carbonated. It was almost medium-bodied with a very active mouthfeel from all of the varying flavors. This was a blast to hold in between the cheeks.

Drinkability – I really enjoyed drinking this yeasty sample from Bras. RJ while baking bread in the oven. It’s light enough to drink as a summer time refresher yet big enough to have as a snack while dinner’s cooking.

Comments – Alas, I do believe this marks the last of the bottles I received in an incredible trade with Rastacouere. Don’t pass up the opportunity to exchange brews with this awesome BA. Be sure to ask for a box of “local gems” – you won’t be sorry.

4.32/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Medium brown in color, with a thin head that quickly settles to a thin, wispy top. The aroma is slightly spicy, with a yeasty Belgian character undergirded by lightly sweet malt.

The flavor begins with a slightly toasted malt. Hints of nuttiness emerge mid-palate. Spiciness emerges toward the finish, but on the light side. This develops a bit more strongly as the beer warms, and the beer as a whole benefits from some additional depth of character. Alcohol is hidden pretty well, and contributes some interesting flavors without much burn.

Medium bodied. Pretty tasty, and easy drinking.

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%

4.25/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%

Medium-dark brown, almost like the colour of maple syrup. Great creamy head that's not going anywhere; good lacing. This looks like a real Belgian ale. Still the giant chunks of sediment like I found in the Blonde d'Achouffe. Without the sediment I'd give it a 4.5.

Really great smell. Strong orange and coriander, lemon-lime. Mostly a super refreshing citrus smell.

Medicinal, yeasty. Caramel up front; bitter hops come out in the finish. The alcohol is making me feel nice and warm. This is a pretty complex beer. I'm sure someone with a better palate and descriptive skills would be able to pick out a bunch more flavours.

Medium bodied with medium-low carbonation. Nice enough feel.

This is pretty drinkable. I wouldn't want more than one of these at a time, but wouldn't mind drinking one at a time fairly often. I can't believe I'm just trying this for the first time, a month before I move away from Montreal. I'll have to take a few of these with me.

4.09/5  rDev +10.5%

I had a 341 ml bottle of this beer last night in a Stella Artoise glass. The beer had a brownish cloudy colour with yeast in suspension. The head was about 1 1/2 inches and lasted for quite a while. The smell was typical of belgium brews and had a nice touch of spices. The taste goes along the same lines, and I have to say the 8.50% alcool was very well hidden. Overall I think it is a well done replicate of the original La Chouffe brune of Belgium. Definately worth a try!!

4.07/5  rDev +10%

Poured a cloudy hazey amber/yellow.

Smell is spciey with cloves and Cinnamon. Nice smell.

Taste: complex and intersting. Its actually difficult to place at first. Cloves, pepper, cardamon, butter toffee. Nice flavor.

Easy drinking, particularly given the 8.5%. Just a touch of warming touch.

I like.

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Orange-brown, with a little off-white head.

S: Dark fruit (prunes), very Belgian!

T: Like a dark fruit-bread, with a little spice. The alcohol is nicely subtle. The taste is quite good, but it just isn't great.

M: Moderate body and carbonation.

D: Good.

Thanks Mike!

4.04/5  rDev +9.2%

This wasn't my first bottle of the six pack, so at this point, I knew not to pour out the last inch or so, cause damn there are some big yeast chunks in there. Very nice medium brown colour, but the head died quickly and it was hard to re-instate even with some intense swirling.

Smell is pretty promising; lots of spice with maybe a touch of alcohol. Sipping confirms this; this one's got lots of clove, some cinnamon, brown-sugar/caramel malt flavours, some tart fruitiness, and a slight but noticeable touch of alcohol at the end. Not amazing, but definitely enjoyable.

Plenty of carbonation provides a nice mouthfeel (and leaves me perplexed as to how I couldn't get much of a head to happen). Pretty easy to drink too, I got through this glass pretty quick and wouldn't mind another.

3.97/5  rDev +7.3%

660ml brown bottle, brewed under licence of La Chouffe in Belgium.

A: nice brown-copper colour, thin white head.
S: strong smell of spices, caramel. inviting
T: tasty caramel, spices and yeast mix.
M: this beer has a good body.
D: perfect sipping beer. nice all around belgian dark ale.

3.94/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%

Presentation: 660ml bottle

Appearance: Dark golden / brownish orange. Two fingers of foam. Interesting.

Smell: Spices and invites well the drinker, but it might more present.

Taste: Spicy, malty and some bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Smooth. I love it! It's fun to drink and I like the foam feeling. Also, it got an interesting spicy aftertaste.

Drinkability: This dark ale is a very nice discovery. I enjoyed it very much.

3.92/5  rDev +5.9%

Clear, dark amber with a short, rocky, off-white head. No lace was observed. Aromas of sweet malt melded nicely with the spicy yeast character. The flavour starts out spicy, followed by sweet caramel. Subdued fruitiness is also present. Bitterness is more pronounced near the finish and there's a lingering caramel and spice combination (nutmeg/clove) that's quite pleasing. Medium bodied with a hint of astringency and a bit of slickness. I enjoyed this a lot as something like a winter warmer, more than most "Xmas beers" I've had lately.

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%

A: No head formation as the style suggest. Colour is a clear rich brown.

S: Raisins, plum, sweet, flowery. There is no alcohol smell and just a hint of caramel in the background.

T: Malty with a hint of raisins and plums. Alcohol is very low in flavour and yet you get a bit of the feel in the end

M: Carbonation is high but pleasant and withing style. Medium body with a bit of warmth.

O: This is a great belgian strong dark ale style. Most aspects are on style except the head that I just could not get to pour. Will have to try an other bottle with a different glace and will modify review in case it does change. This is a must in my fridge for sure.

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Fortunately, I was warned to pour carefully. Light mahogany colour, just slightly cloudy (my portion was from the bottom half of the bottle) with a frothy head that laced nicely. Minor carbonation visible.

Spicy nose, fresh citrusy (almost floral) notes and yeasty (lees).

Sweet and fruity with coriander and other spices. Nicely balanced, and since I like that taste of lees in the beer, I'm happy with this. It's yummy.

Medium-to-full mouthfeel with a light touch of carbonation. Like it. The 8.5% alcohol isn't terribly noticeable.

This is really drinkable. With food in front of me, this would just keep going down and down...

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

750mL bottle from Broue Ha Ha, been sitting in the cellar for about six months now, hoping for some mellowing action.

Poured into a goblet. A hazy chocolate brown, with about a half inch of head that quickly recedes into a thin ring.

Nose is brown sugar, spices, and a nice fruity smell - banana, orange and figs perhaps.

Tasty brew, I have to say, and a big step up from the Blonde. Chocolate, brown sugar, fruit, spices, a bit of yeast.

Carb a bit strong, even after a few months, but theres some chewiness to it.

Not bad, certainly a damned decent dark ale. Alcohol is well-masked. It doesn't go beyond many of the style, but it ain't bad.

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +1.9%

A brownish color with a foamy head that slowly dissapeared into my glass.
The smell, I couldnt smell much from that beer maybe my allergies hitting me sooner this year. Taste was not surprising, some nutty flavor, a bit of a malty touch nothing to make my mouth cry for more. I could feel a tiny bit of spices, but everything was shy, but it went down pretty easy.

3.76/5  rDev +1.6%

660mL bottle purchased for $4 from Jovi in Gatineau. Pours a cloudy golden brown with enough chunky floaties to build a small house. Aroma is disappointingly weak with just a hint of spice. First taste is nice and yeasty. Solid, rich mouthfeel with Belgian yeast and lightly spiced. Definitely less lemony than a recent batch of the regular Quebec D'Achouffe - although I'm wondering if I had an off-batch of that one.

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%

Brune D'Achouffe from Brasseurs R.J.