Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Mountain Goat The Craig | Mountain Goat Beer Pty Ltd

3.6/5
Good

Mountain Goat Beer Pty Ltd
Australia
goatbeer.com.au

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by brendan13 on 03-14-2011

Reviews by vancurly:

2.52/5  rDev -30%

Reviewed from notes, served at the Taphouse, poured through the Randall.

Well well well, where do I begin? Poured a copper colour, that was truly 100% opaque, cloudy, and almost looked like something out of a Harry Potter movie. In among the white/cream head bubbles could also be seen some small hop chunks.

Intense aromas of hops, tea, hops, grapefruit, hops, tea bags, did I mention Hops?
At 4.4%, the flavours were intense, and lasted well into what seemed like the next beer of the night.

Ok - so half way down the pints, and we could tell the speed of drinking had slowed considerably. Opinions also differed among myself and my two companions. One loved it, the other two of us less so. One of my mates also
notes he was 'burping lavender'!!!

The consensus was reached that a half pint would have sufficed, such was the flavour and intensity of the drinking (and chewing for the chunks of hop). One to wash down with a glass of water for yours truly.

Seems altogether a different beer than the other review - the Randall being the game-changer.

Did I mention the hops?

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Pours a hazy light copper with a 3cm off white head that falls away leaving a bit of lace.
S - Herbal and a touch of earthy hop quality with some caramel maltiness.
T - Herbal and earth notes like the smell but some light fruity hop presence also comes through. A fair whack of caramel, bready malt character is present. Almost amber/red ale like.
M - Medium body with a medium level of carbonation. Noticeable bitterness.
D - A well made lowish ABV pale ale without the overt hoppiness normally associated with a style. Good for a change and to mix things up but I found myself wanting more hops.

Mountain Goat The Craig from Mountain Goat Beer Pty Ltd