High Level Brown | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: English Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by aaronh on 06-08-2003

Reviews by jeffbearer:
4.09/5  rDev 0%

Tasted at the Pittsburgh location as well, I suspect that the same brew is given different names at the other Rock Bottoms. The "High Level" name comes from the bridge near the brewpub.

Much darker than you would expect a brown ale, I would if guessed it a porter if it was given to me blind. Wasn't able to get a good feel for the aroma, there was too much smoke in the bar. Great caramel flavor from roasted and special crystal barley. The mouthfeel was good, again, similar to a porter. This was a very enjoyable beer, in fact for my next batch of brown ale I'm going to try to imitate this beer.

This was a draught, not a bottle, way to go screwed up my first review :(

3.18/5  rDev 0%

Pittsburgh (Homestead) location.

Solid brown color with amber highlights topped by a tan head that fades to a thin collar of foam. The aroma is a nice light caramel aroma, but little else. The taste is a bit hoppy, and a good dose of sweet caramel. The sweetness lingers in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is thin, much too thin actually. The drinkability is OK, and it is a bit refreshing, but it is by no means a session beer for me. Just not enjoyable enough.

High Level Brown from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery