Fire Chief Ale

Spring
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Notes: "Our fresh-brewed Fire Chief Ale* is a medium-bodied,
auburn-colored Ale that gets its pleasant sweetness and lightly toasted character from select caramel and crystal malts. Hand-selected hops from the Pacific Northwest lend a crisp and satisfying citrus finish."
Reviews: 45 | Ratings: 104 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by KYGunner:
3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

I went to the Rock Bottom in Cincinnati, though because it's a chain I am going to assume the beers carry over the same. I ordered a flight of six of their standard beers and as I tried each one I found that each was spot on to the style. The remarkable thing is how unremarkable the beers are. Don't get me wrong, they are well worth the try and certainly above average but they are produced for a mass market. So as lazy as it may be I am going to simply say that this beer was a text book example of the style without breaking out and setting itself above.

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

3.76/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.75/5  rDev +32.3%

3.57/5  rDev -0.6%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Not as good as I remember

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.9/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.75

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

This is usually a very short release, so if you want it, you have to get there fast. I finally got myself some, and it was worth it. Very smooth and drinkable Irish red, a better beer than most of their standards.

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

2.81/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

"Meh" is the best possible description of this beer

3.9/5  rDev +8.6%

I don't really know what I was expecting with this brew. I was just happy to see a new beer on the menu. Fire orange in color, a bit hazy and topped by a generous head, the aroma is mellow and hints at just a bit of spicy hops. The first sip brings forth a smooth, rounded brew with a mild maltiness and a nice bold, but not aggressive bitterness that carries through in the finish. Not like any other steam beer I have had, but fairly tasty by any standard. Very drinkable, even caught on with some of my beer-wuss buddies.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.93/5  rDev +9.5%

Its clear, deep copper body has an orange-ish glow to it, and its creamy tan head holds well before dropping to a thin surface covering that leaves thin splashes of lace. The nose is caramelish and fruity. Its medium body is accentuated by a crisp carbonation that gently "zests" the tongue and wakens the tastebuds. In the flavor, a juicy, berry-like fruitiness is found up-front; followed by a caramel-tinged, toffee-ish malt and lightly spicy and floral hops. It's very well balanced by a firm bitterness, and its fruity and toffee-ish flavors combine brilliantly. I didn't think I was going to like this one as much as I did... but I just had to have a second pint. Very well done, and quite drinkable!

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Sampled on tap at the Harvard Square brewpub.
"For the seventh consecutive year, Rock Bock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery will hold its annual Fire Chief Ale promotion in tribute to Fire Fighters across the nation, kicking off Thursday, March 20th, and lasting for three weeks."

This beer poured a cloudy, copper color with white foam. The smell was good: malt and floral hops. The taste was dominated by hops but with a good amount of malt to balance. The mouthfeel was smooth, but a bit astringent from the hops. The body was medium with low carbonation feel. The drinkability was OK.

To be honest I am unsure of the Style. Comments elsewhere on the web imply that this might be a Steam beer.

2.65/5  rDev -26.2%

Appearance - nice copper color, cream colored head holds at a solid cap and laces quite well.

Aroma - just a bare whisper of grain, not much at all here.

Taste - light flavor, a moderate grain presence. RB's description says 'sweet caramel tones' but I'm not picking that up. It does have some sweetness on the aftertaste, but this comes across very average.

Mouthfeel - decent body, crisp bubbles, no issues here but I'm getting an average impression overall.

Drinkability - it's as drinkable as any 'okay' beer but considering the other RB taps, I'll save my growler for something else.

Fire Chief Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery