IPA | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

rockbottom.com

Style: American IPA

Added by brewdlyhooked13 on 07-25-2005

3.78/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Ordered a sample of all their on tap beers. Of the 8 I received this was one of them.

A - Very clear amber brown so filtered with a 1/2 inch of head. Most of these beers seem to be force carbonated giving it a good amount of foam.
S - Has a decent hop smell nothing over the top or memorable. Slightly sweet smell but not overall malty.
T - I thought it was good it had a memorable hop bite nothing over the top or tongue lashing. Trouble is it was just slightly average.
M - It was smooth light to medium at best. A great IPA very drinkable.

Overall I rate this above average its not to be expected a hop bomb and I have had many unbalanced IPA's. Unfortunately I found their red ale a bit tastier.

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%

I went to the Rock Bottom in Cincinnati, though because it's a chain I am going to assume the beers carry over the same. I ordered a flight of six of their standard beers and as I tried each one I found that each was spot on to the style. The remarkable thing is how unremarkable the beers are. Don't get me wrong, they are well worth the try and certainly above average but they are produced for a mass market. So as lazy as it may be I am going to simply say that this beer was a text book example of the style without breaking out and setting itself above.

2.5/5  rDev -29.8%