The Hammer | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

View: Beers
Reviews by neckbracesub:
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Had this tonight on tap & would agree with everthing Palliko put his review about the brewer, a true loss & this beer is an example of why.

This poured semi-hazy brown with off white head. Very good lacing & pretty good head retention

S: Great hop smack & then hints of malt alcohol, + some fruittyness

T: Big piney hops come through in the taste, then rich malt. Then a pretty persitent alcohol burn comes through. Finishes fruitty, alittle hoppy & plenty warming

Drank okay despite the alcohol burn, this really worked for me. I hope the the RB finds a way to carry on the quality that has sprung from here

2nd tasting was much more to my liking & would've probably bumped this up a few tenths now that it's aged, but only had 1.5ozes of it

On tap at the brew pub 5/29/2010.

Looks like a typical American IPA. Clear, dark yellow, tall white head that leaves some lacing but doesnt last long.

Aroma is nice and hoppy. I get an interesting balance of oranges/apricots and pine/weed.

Flavor is also nice and hoppy. I tried to pick out exactly which fruits I detected but it was hard to say. Definitely some orange flavor along with some pine flavors. I also pick up some sweetness and some stickiness.

Body is light/medium and dry. Pretty drinkable and enjoyable. Wouldn't mind having this again, just so long as it's not a night when the Lakers are playing.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

This is very sad! I just learned that the Brewmaster for all of the Colorado Rock Bottom Breweries, John Hanley, died this week. This beer was his last offering. I sat and talked with John on several occasions - and if you read my reviews of his beer, you will see what a brilliant brewer he was - a true master craftsman. This double IPA is no exception. The appearance is a cloudy golden color, the aroma is fruity and floral hops. Initial taste is an amazing blend of malt and hops. Let John speak for himself: "We used Horizon and Santiam hop varieties when we brewed this special ale. When I tasted it recently, I tasted apricot, some pineapple, maybe a hint grapefruit, and some floral notes in the hop profile. The color is deep gold. The Hammer is deceivingly approachable and smooth considering it weighs in at 9.0% alcohol and was formulated for 100 IBUs (for those of you as into beer as I am!)"

Well said! It has perfect carbonation, and a nicely dry finish that asks for more!

God bless you, John wherever you are, and bless your family. You will be missed my friend.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%