Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Wine Barrel Aged Barleywine | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

3.74/5
Good
1 Rating

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: American Barleywine

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by AgentZero on 09-06-2011

3.74/5  rDev 0%

A - Actually kind of an ugly brown yellow color with a small off-white head that left a ring that slid down the sides of the glass during consumption.

S - Smells of vinous notes and apples. A lot of caramel and some sweet sugar, some vanilla, just a touch of barrel.

T - This is amazingly sweet. When they brought it out to me they told me it was aged in Woodford Reserve barrels. Upon smell and taste I was surprised, I thought it was very vinous or possibly aged in apple brandy. Turns out it was aged 1/2 in white wine and 1/2 in red wine. Not sure if it is a blend or was just aged equal amounts of time in the the respective barrels, had already bugged the server enough I didn't want to ask. Very vinous, with some green apple taste and vanilla and barrel. It's quite sweet, with some sugary caramel. A bit too sweet for my liking, but it doesn't taste bad.

M - Soft, but active, carbonation. Fairly full bodied.

O - I had Peter Crowley's Haymarket BA Barleywine yesterday, but I thought the one done at RB by the guy who replaced him was actually better. It's not outstanding, but fairly unique and scores points for being innovative.

Wine Barrel Aged Barleywine from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery