White Ale | Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery

Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery
United States
rockbottom.com

Style: Witbier

For this award-winning witbier, we use coriander and orange peel instead of straight hops to impart a unique citrus spice over a slightly sour body. The technique stretches all the way back to Medieval time, and the orange and coriander gruit has become the standard identifier for a Belgian White.

Rock Bottom's award-winning White Ale is handcrafted on-site by each restaurant's expert brewmaster to his or her exacting tolerance and preference.

Added by mothman on 05-04-2013

Reviews: 3 | Ratings: 45
3.47/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I would agree that this is right down the line w/ the style. Having said that, it is a very drinkable beer! There isn't any one characteristic that overtakes it. Simple. Well balanced. If I had to say something negative, I would say it was a bit over carbonated.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I went to the Rock Bottom in Cincinnati, though because it's a chain I am going to assume the beers carry over the same. I ordered a flight of six of their standard beers and as I tried each one I found that each was spot on to the style. The remarkable thing is how unremarkable the beers are. Don't get me wrong, they are well worth the try and certainly above average but they are produced for a mass market. So as lazy as it may be I am going to simply say that this beer was a text book example of the style without breaking out and setting itself above.

2.64/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

On tap on Cincinnati.

White head. Slight hazed pale yellow in color.

First sip of this beer and I get a lot of spice. Coriander and cloves. A decent amount of wheat. Orange peel. Hint of lemon zest.

Mouthfeel: dry and crisp. Lighter bodied.

Overall, this was a fairly boring Belgian beer. Way to dry. Not very much flavor.

White Ale from Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery