Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen | Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Gordon Biersch HefeweizenGordon Biersch Hefeweizen

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
United States | website

Style: Hefeweizen

Hundreds of years ago in Germany, wheat beers were considered 'breakfast' or 'after church' beers, a testament to their light refreshing flavor and a tradition of drinking them on weekend occasions. We invite you to enjoy our Hefeweizen (hay-fa-VEIT-sen) any day of the week.

Added by Wildman on 06-23-2002

Reviews: 129 | Ratings: 399
3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Pored 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Ok, I will start this review with a story:

When the Giants won the world series, I was in San Francisco at Gordon Biersch watching the game. I drank a lot that day and when I got this, I kept saying it tastes like bubblegum. My friends all said I was wasted and my palate was destroyed. I didn't think I was that inebriated, but I stopped saying it.

I saw this on the shelves and I had to buy a bottle to see if I was really that drunk. You know what? This still tastes like bubblegum. Boom! Vindication.

After that, it really is a mediocre Hefeweizen. Not much complexity. Aside from bubblegum, it tastes like all other Hefeweizens. Not something I will buy again now that I feel vindicated.

3.19/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Atlanta brewpub. Not a favored style.

Look: hazy golden body with an off-white head.

Aroma: very fruity with a lot of citrus, some banana and a hint of yeast.

Flavor: follows the aroma. More citrus and less clove than average for style.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body and medium+ carbonation.

Overall: fruity hefe.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

What I enjoyed about G.B. is that use different glasses for different beers. I'm not a beer snob, by any stretch, but I appreciate that the make the effort.

Gold trending toward amber color and slightly cloudy. Head was modest. Smell was a combination of grain and slight crisp-sweet fruit. Flavor was light, mild with perhaps a touch of citrus coming through. I'd should add, however, that there wasn't anything "off" about the beer either. I just wanted a bit more flavor to come through. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a nice touch of crispness. Solid drinkability, but nothing really stands out with this beer. This is a decent by-the-numbers beer. I preferred the G.B. Schwarzbier for having a touch more of everything and some really nice flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for bringing this bottle over to share with the other Matt and myself. Amyliz4 said no thanks. Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

Pours a hazy, somewhat dark, yellow-gold with a nice white head. Really nice lacing. The nose has a pretty standard hefeweizen aroma, leaning more heavily toward the banana/bubblegum end of the spectrum than the clove, but pretty good. Bit too much breadiness, which really carried over into the flavor, where the malt tended to dominate the yeast. Medium body and a bit too heavy. Moderately too sweet. Decent enough, but not something I'd seek out.

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

Cloudy yellow color with a thick white head. Smell is wheaty, clove and spice with the same taste but not too overpowering with the clove spiced part, which i'm not too big on. Good standard hefeweizen and probably one of my favorites for the style. On tap at SF godon biersch.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Little lace.
S: Dominated by clove and banana. Nothing else. Not bad, but blah.
T: Banana and spicy clove. Again, not bad, but bland.
M/D: A medium body that has a little to much carbonation. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink. Quaffable for what it is.

Another bland ofering. Nothing much to note. Not the worst thing ever, but much better hefe's are out there.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

A- Pours a bright, yet hazy golden, with a one and a half finger white head that retains well and leaves one ring of lacing.
S- Wheat, slight banana, touch of clove.
T- In the flavor, there is much more bubble gum than there is banana. Clove flavor is noticable, but understated. A faint sourness to it as well.
M- Crisp, but I found it underweighted.
D- A mediocre hefe I feel. More spice flavor and more body would have done this beer well.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Sampled on-tap at the Yard House in Long Beach, CA.

A = reminded me of a cloudly amber lager. pretty light for a hefe.

S = pretty mild with obvious clove and citrus aromas

T = very mild with no strong flavors that really stick out.

M = very thin and watery.

D = this is drinkable, but there are so many better hefe's around, I don't see any reason for ordering this.

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

This was the best of the ones I tried from this place. Had a good full color to it, with a hazy redish tint with a decent head. Smell was of honey and bananas, but the taste was mostly bananas. It was fairly low in carbonation as well. Fairly typical hefe.

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

Just experienced the GB Hefeweizen, which, oddly enough, is currently being advertised as the perfect beer for summer, and available in July...it's February. Go figure.

The beer was presented in a glass that in itself was a work of art. A nice head gave way to an even nicer color, which was a hazy, rich, golden yellow - straw-colored with orange to amber undertones. The visual was nicely offset with a mellow banana-clove bouquet - a nice treat for the olfactory.

However, the mouth feel was much lighter than I expected - nice for a brunch, maybe with a nice, light omelet (seafood or chicken, for example), but overall, I missed the slight "chewy" taste and body that accompanies most Hefes.

Sadly, the aftertaste was virtually nonexistent. I kept waiting for a nice little bite - that sweet balance between fizz and flavor resulting from good conditioning - but the more I drank of this light-bodied brew, the more it took on the characteristics of a somewhat flat soda.

All in all an "OK" brew, but doesn't stand up to the all the GB hype - or their signature garlic fries, for that matter.

2.94/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours a cloudy, golden straw color. Fluffy white foamy head that holds for some time. No lacing.

Smells of banana, and citrus. Hints of sweetness. But overall, weak.

Tastes of banana and a little fruity. Some sweet bubble-gum notes. Hints of a traditional German Hefe, but again, weak.

Mouthfeel is creamy upfront, smooth, with some carbonation in the finish. However, it is too watery, and thin.

OK, but not the best example of this style.

2.83/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a massive head due to overcarbonation. Cloudy orange in color.

Over ripened banana dominates the nose. Some pear aromas tucked in their as well.

Tastes like it smells; lots of ripe banana upfront that leads into some twangy pear. Suprised that there are no clovey flavors present. Finishes with a lot of tartness. Really one-dimensional.

Decent mouthfeel very creamy and smooth. Fairly drinkable. I rather drink something else though.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

The appearance was good,as expected a semi-blonde bubbly,brew with a nice foamy head. The odor was sweet,and malty,some spice the odor was quite enticing. This was my first and last Hefeweizen,nothing against the maker. I felt like I drank a beer that someone else had drunk from a baseball game that had a big wad of gum in her mouth. Honestly..down the drain it went. Overall its my loss ...just couldnt appreciate this style of beer.

2.63/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours an opaque golden/orange color with a 1 finger creamy white head. Not a bad start.

Aroma has some clove and somewhat bready.

Taste is lacking flavor. Some old paper and light clove. Tastes slightly off. Old. Certainly not a usual hef.

Mouthfeel is rather flat and lifeless. Creamy.

Overall, a very weak attempt at a hef. While I was able to finish the glass, I would not recommend it to anyone. Lacking in almost all the usual hef. characteristics and style.

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

I've had other Gordon Biersch products but didn't particularly care for this one. It poured well with an average head. Smell was fairly nice but the taste didn't quite seem to match. Too many banana hints for me I guess, and almost a smokey flavor like a Scottish Ale or something.

Thought I'd try eating some pistachios with it to maybe help compliment the flavor but it didn't work.

Glad I had the experience but likely won't buy it again. (just my $.02)

2.53/5  rDev -31.4%

It had potential before I tasted it. Nothing particular to praise about this beer, tasted like it had banana syrup poured into it. Something chemically that made it hard to finish. Sometimes gordon biersch goes on sale with the ralphs club card, but i've never been happy with his brews.

2.25/5  rDev -39%

Had this on tap at the restaurant in Virginia Beach, Virginia
(Review is from notes)

A- Cloudiness. Has the appearance and color of fresh pineapple juice. Decent lacing.

S- Smell of cloves with soft banana notes in the back.

T- Strong, strong clove taste. Reminds me of the clove packing they used on me when I got my wisdom teeth pulled. Very unpleasing. Not as much banana as I had hoped, kinda comes in late on the finish.

M- Thin with an over carbonation feel.

D- Not my thing.

2.16/5  rDev -41.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Poured from a 12oz bottle, no freshness date provided, but there is a Born On date.

Appearance- 3.5 out of 5. Very thickly-clouded, almost opaque orange with yellow around the edges. Pours with a decent one and a half-finger white head that dissipates fairly quickly and leaves a similarly decent bit of lacing around the sides and on top.

Smell- 2.5 out of 5. This beer smells odd. It has all of the typical Hefeweizen scents of banana, clove, and bubblegum, yet it also has an oddly sour note. This is my fourth bottle of this beer this year, so it's definitely not an isolated incident or a case of tainted beer.

Taste- 1.5 out of 5. That strangely sour note returns in the taste. It's almost as if someone squirted honey mustard into a sweaty jock-strap and let it stew in a hot locker room for a week. It really makes it difficult to enjoy the rest of the beer's flavors. Aside from that, there is a hint of sweet malt, fermented yeast, beer bread, and spicy rotten bananas. The hops are noticeably absent from the overall flavor profile.

Mouthfeel- 3.5 out of 5. Rather heavy for a Hefeweizen. Carbonation is noticeable but not strong.

Drinkability- 2 out of 5. This is the third time I've poured this beer down the drain. I'm a rather open-minded imbiber, but this beer is just terrible. Gordon Biersch needs to redesign the recipe for its Hefeweizen before I'll consider approaching it again.

2.16/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured from a tap into a hefeweizen glass. Poured a honeycomb flavor with about an inch of foam that stayed for awhile. Smelled sour with a touch of citrus and wheat. Highly carbonated for a hefeweizen. Had a caramel taste to it. Not that much of a taste compared to other hefeweizens.

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant