Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen | Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

good
good
Read the review
Gordon Biersch HefeweizenGordon Biersch Hefeweizen

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
United States
gordonbiersch.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Hundreds of years ago in Germany, wheat beers were considered 'breakfast' or 'after church' beers, a testament to their light refreshing flavor and a tradition of drinking them on weekend occasions. We invite you to enjoy our Hefeweizen (hay-fa-VEIT-sen) any day of the week.

Added by Wildman on 06-23-2002

4.45/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A great example. It has a smooth taste, great silky feel and a really nice hint of bananas

4.42/5  rDev +19.8%

When poured, the color was hazy golden yellow, with a medium amount of foam and nice lace on the side of the glass.

The smell of spices and yeast filled the nose with a pleasant aroma, with just a hint of fruit.

The flavor was of yeast and spices, with a hint of banana. What a pleasant surprise from Gordon Biersch. This to me is there second best bottled beer!

4.4/5  rDev +19.2%

While I am typically incredibly particular when it comes to American brewed Hefeweizens, I must admit, this one caught me be surprise.

Poured into an Ayinger hefe glass, it looks and smells just as a solid hefe would.

Taste and mouthfeel are almost spot on with German brewed hefes: solid notes of bannana, bubblegum, citrus, and a hint of earthiness from the yeast.

Drinkability is increadibly high, I enjoyed it over and over again while watching Groundhog day last night.

At 6.50 a 6pack, I am cruising through these.

Oh and an incredibly legible bottle on date of just a month ago, I think that freshness is definitely helping it out!

4.39/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

A: Cloudy, (the cloudier the better), Golden Straw-like appearance with a bright white foamy head. Just looking at it, it's thirst quenching. Thick, sticky lacing, long after it was gone.

S: Big Banana, and phenolic characteristics dominate, both balanced well, with the clove spiciness slightly behind them. The yeasty-wheat aroma's come through nicely. Hops were overpowered as they should be by the Banana and Clove.

T: This beer is super balanced with all it's attributes. Tastes of fresh yeasty bread. Fresh grain, but the yeasty-wheat borderline overpowering at times (Pungent). I attribute this to a change in my senses. Hop presence is right where it should be: in the background.

M: High carbonation, yet amazingly soft and smooth. It helps bring out those classic Hefe aromas.

D: This is one of those beers I sit back and look at deeply when drinking it. I'm simply amazed with this beer. Month after month, year after year, I try this Hefe, and consistently get the same beer.

I love the fact that the grain bill is balanced towards the wheat in fair amounts. I've seen some disappointing recipes with a 30-40% wheat balance. The GB is more in the range of 55% Wheat grist.
To me this is what a Hefeweizen should taste like.

It is the benchmark for all other Hefeweizens out there.

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

This pours a cloudy deep golden orange hue. It has the requisite banana, clove, and bubblegum, but for me the banana almost comes across as banana bread. I really enjoy this beer and the taste is extremely good. Banana and clove up front with an extremely subtle citrus sprinkled in the middle. The finish is strong with that banana bread and clove note that mirrors the scent. Feels creamy in the mouth, but it does have plenty of carbonation. Very tasty and refreshing.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

My second beer from San Jose's Gordon Biersch...

Pours cloudy light orange with a nice creamy head, very carbonated. Smells of yeasts, lots of banana, and malts. Very inviting. Taste follows well with a good blend of maltiness and yeastiness, not too sour, and the bananas and light spices make this brew one of my more favored hefes.

4.32/5  rDev +17.1%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass. Bottom of back label stamped BOTTLED ON: 07/25/11.

Appearance - Frothy, glossy barely off-white pearly sheen head with decent stick and retention.

Smell - Extremely strong banana. Reminds me of my first Weihenstephaner Hefe.

Taste - Strong banana here too. Almost too well done. Makes me wonder if some sort of artifical flavoring or syrup was used. Some dryness in the body but finishes with slight banana maltiness. My suspicion is the only thing holding back my grade on this beer.

Mouthfeel - Creamy frothiness in the head. Light to medium bodied. No astringency or any other off characters here.

Overall Drinkability - Possibly the best US hefeweizen I’ve ever had. I just fear that it’s a little too good, and my suspicion that artifical flavorings are used worries me and makes me grade this lower than I would otherwise if I knew this was a legit hefe.

4.3/5  rDev +16.5%

4.28/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +15.7%

One of the line of Gordon Biersch beers that have just appeared in Texas. It has a nice orange-gold color, though little head appeared and that quickly faded away. Nice aroma though--fruity, sure, but the spicy phenolic side has the upper hand. Very good flavor, with a lightly sweet wheat malt initially, bubble-gum fruitiness, and a solid clovey, peppery spiciness--much like Franziskaner. More carbonation would help the mouthfeel.

Solid hefe here... the other two GB beers that appears in Texas (marzen and blonde bock) are pretty bland, but this one is very good.

4.26/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at an airport G-B. Look is medium orange and quite cloudy. A bit darker than most hefes. Smell is light banana and fruit. Taste is slightly "sharp" up front, with the yeasty esters coming later. Aftertaste is all banana, in a good way (I like my hefes this way). Not much of the clove or spice elements, though I do get some every other sip. Feel is fine for the style. Overall a solid example. I would be happy to have again.

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +15.2%

A) Hazy, almost too dark yellow glass sports a solid white head that drops to a heavy cover that lasts and leaves spots of lace.

S) Overripe cantaloupe, bubble gum, and a rustic wheat backbone.

T) Banana, clove, bubblegum, all good Hefe yeast flavors, with a drying, almost rough wheat finish that is very well balanced with no real hop flavors noted.

M) Bubbly medium body with a dry, rough finish.

O) A solid hefe. It stands up well against German standards (Weihenstephaner), probably due to the fact that we can get it much fresher. Glad to see this in Texas.

Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant