Gordon Biersch Hefeweizen | Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
United States
gordonbiersch.com

Style: Hefeweizen

Hundreds of years ago in Germany, wheat beers were considered 'breakfast' or 'after church' beers, a testament to their light refreshing flavor and a tradition of drinking them on weekend occasions. We invite you to enjoy our Hefeweizen (hay-fa-VEIT-sen) any day of the week.

Added by Wildman on 06-23-2002

Liked:
3.63/5
Alströms:

3.05/5  rDev -16%

Just experienced the GB Hefeweizen, which, oddly enough, is currently being advertised as the perfect beer for summer, and available in July...it's February. Go figure.

The beer was presented in a glass that in itself was a work of art. A nice head gave way to an even nicer color, which was a hazy, rich, golden yellow - straw-colored with orange to amber undertones. The visual was nicely offset with a mellow banana-clove bouquet - a nice treat for the olfactory.

However, the mouth feel was much lighter than I expected - nice for a brunch, maybe with a nice, light omelet (seafood or chicken, for example), but overall, I missed the slight "chewy" taste and body that accompanies most Hefes.

Sadly, the aftertaste was virtually nonexistent. I kept waiting for a nice little bite - that sweet balance between fizz and flavor resulting from good conditioning - but the more I drank of this light-bodied brew, the more it took on the characteristics of a somewhat flat soda.

All in all an "OK" brew, but doesn't stand up to the all the GB hype - or their signature garlic fries, for that matter.

3.06/5  rDev -15.7%

This was the best of the ones I tried from this place. Had a good full color to it, with a hazy redish tint with a decent head. Smell was of honey and bananas, but the taste was mostly bananas. It was fairly low in carbonation as well. Fairly typical hefe.

3.1/5  rDev -14.6%

Sampled on-tap at the Yard House in Long Beach, CA.

A = reminded me of a cloudly amber lager. pretty light for a hefe.

S = pretty mild with obvious clove and citrus aromas

T = very mild with no strong flavors that really stick out.

M = very thin and watery.

D = this is drinkable, but there are so many better hefe's around, I don't see any reason for ordering this.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

A: Pours a cloudy golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms, but recedes in a second. Little lace.
S: Dominated by clove and banana. Nothing else. Not bad, but blah.
T: Banana and spicy clove. Again, not bad, but bland.
M/D: A medium body that has a little to much carbonation. Thin and watery. Not hard to drink. Quaffable for what it is.

Another bland ofering. Nothing much to note. Not the worst thing ever, but much better hefe's are out there.

3.13/5  rDev -13.8%

A- Pours a bright, yet hazy golden, with a one and a half finger white head that retains well and leaves one ring of lacing.
S- Wheat, slight banana, touch of clove.
T- In the flavor, there is much more bubble gum than there is banana. Clove flavor is noticable, but understated. A faint sourness to it as well.
M- Crisp, but I found it underweighted.
D- A mediocre hefe I feel. More spice flavor and more body would have done this beer well.

3.16/5  rDev -12.9%

Cloudy yellow color with a thick white head. Smell is wheaty, clove and spice with the same taste but not too overpowering with the clove spiced part, which i'm not too big on. Good standard hefeweizen and probably one of my favorites for the style. On tap at SF godon biersch.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

What I enjoyed about G.B. is that use different glasses for different beers. I'm not a beer snob, by any stretch, but I appreciate that the make the effort.

Gold trending toward amber color and slightly cloudy. Head was modest. Smell was a combination of grain and slight crisp-sweet fruit. Flavor was light, mild with perhaps a touch of citrus coming through. I'd should add, however, that there wasn't anything "off" about the beer either. I just wanted a bit more flavor to come through. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium with a nice touch of crispness. Solid drinkability, but nothing really stands out with this beer. This is a decent by-the-numbers beer. I preferred the G.B. Schwarzbier for having a touch more of everything and some really nice flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -12.4%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for bringing this bottle over to share with the other Matt and myself. Amyliz4 said no thanks. Served in a Captain Lawrence tulip.

Pours a hazy, somewhat dark, yellow-gold with a nice white head. Really nice lacing. The nose has a pretty standard hefeweizen aroma, leaning more heavily toward the banana/bubblegum end of the spectrum than the clove, but pretty good. Bit too much breadiness, which really carried over into the flavor, where the malt tended to dominate the yeast. Medium body and a bit too heavy. Moderately too sweet. Decent enough, but not something I'd seek out.

3.19/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Atlanta brewpub. Not a favored style.

Look: hazy golden body with an off-white head.

Aroma: very fruity with a lot of citrus, some banana and a hint of yeast.

Flavor: follows the aroma. More citrus and less clove than average for style.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body and medium+ carbonation.

Overall: fruity hefe.

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

Pored 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Ok, I will start this review with a story:

When the Giants won the world series, I was in San Francisco at Gordon Biersch watching the game. I drank a lot that day and when I got this, I kept saying it tastes like bubblegum. My friends all said I was wasted and my palate was destroyed. I didn't think I was that inebriated, but I stopped saying it.

I saw this on the shelves and I had to buy a bottle to see if I was really that drunk. You know what? This still tastes like bubblegum. Boom! Vindication.

After that, it really is a mediocre Hefeweizen. Not much complexity. Aside from bubblegum, it tastes like all other Hefeweizens. Not something I will buy again now that I feel vindicated.

3.22/5  rDev -11.3%

Imported from my ratebeer.com profile - MAY 28, 2008

On tap at the brewpub.

Pours a nice cloudy orange color with particulates. Smells of citrus, wheat, yeast and candy. Flavor is tart and sweet, heavily dominated by an orange citrus flavor but also packing some wheat and spice in there. Finishes dry, tart and slightly bitter. Not my favorite hefe but it’s decent.

3.23/5  rDev -11%

From 10/22/11 notes.

a - Pours a murky straw yellow color with one inch of fluffy white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bananas, cloves, spices, and light citrus hops. Some bready malts as well. Not bad, but wans't expecting the citrus.

t - Tastes of bananas, lemon and citrus, cloves, bready malts. Everything is light and that citrus is there again. Not bad at all but a tiny bit bland.

m - Light to medium body and low to moderate carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall a pretty average hefeweizen. Thought it was better than their Golden Export, but would order the Marzen or Schwarzbier next time I go.

3.23/5  rDev -11%

Thanks to Huhzubendah for this rare tick. Reviewed from notes.

Beer is amber and hazy with a medium sized white head of small bubbles, some lacing moderate carbonation.

Aroma is wheaty with mild cloves and some banana.

Beer is medium to thin in body with a grainy finish, the whole thing finishes a little bitter with some acidity on the end, the forward is mildly sweet with some banana in there. nothing great here just an average hefeweizen, probably won't repeat unless it is free at a party.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%