Gordon Biersch Winter Bock | Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant

Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant
United States
gordonbiersch.com

Style: Doppelbock

In the 11th century, Belgian monks sustained themselves during winter fasts with beers made from strong, dark flavored malts. These creamy books ensured that the monks would fast frequently.

Added by Murph on 02-07-2003

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%

Pours a clear dark brown with a nice dark tan head that holds on most of the way down the glass and leaves a nice lace. Thick biscuity maltiness with almost chewy aspects dominates the aroma. Giant bready and sweet maltiness is all over the flavor here. Nice lightly roasty qualities to it with some almost chocolate-like qualities and some slight warming alcohol presence. This is borderline doppel territory here. Big bready, chewy and heavy body to this brew with a silky smooth mouthfeel. This put off my grumbling stomach for a bit with its huge body. Awesome cool weather brew, excellent for warming you up and filling you up as well. I would drink this all winter long if I had a GB near me. Much more flavorful than their generally dull brews.

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Very very nice dark lager I like very much

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Tasted on-tap 11/29/05 at the GB brewpub in Tyson's Corner, VA.

Solid brown color with a nice light brown head and nice carbonation with slow bubbles. Smokey, roasty, dark Munich malt aroma and flavors. Lots of robust roasty full flavored characteristics that you don't normally associate with a true Dopplebock. Medium-full bodied, smooth, and warming with light alcohol on the finish.

Per an email I got from the brewer for the Tyson's location:
It is the same recipe as the Trader Joe's Dopplebock.
Malts: Munich, Caramunich, Pilsner, and Carafa.
Hops: Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

I live in California and Gordon Biersch is truly a quality restaurant and brewery.

Few chain brewery can brew this type of beer. Now I've not had any beer from the ones out side of California, but the ones I have had beer from are excellent.

Gordon Biersch is one of the only places in the states, in my opinion, that make a true German style Bock and Doppelbock beer. Only served in the Winter time as a seasonal beer, their Winter Bock is a beer of hearty goodness, easily bringing home very high marks in my book.

The bottle is good, but the tap version at the brewery is even better.

If you're in San Diego, the one in mission valley has and excellent brewer by the name of Doug Hasker. Give him your regards as you sample his fine craft.

4.42/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance – This dark brown bock hid underneath a massive, cascading head that was a beautiful dark tan in color. That had to be one of the nicest-looking DB heads I’ve ever seen.

Smell – The raw bockish malts are nice at the smell. There’s a rich molasses aroma along with an avalanche of sugars. There’s some light chocolate in here too.

Taste – This explodes on the taste buds. It is so big and powerful in flavor that you just want to hold it in your mouth forever. It is more balanced at the taste than I thought it would be from the smell. The dark molasses is here but it is softened up by tons of sweetness.

Mouthfeel – This is medium-bodied and velvety smooth in the mouth. Even though the carbonation is modest the flavors slow you down.

Drinkability – This is true to the style and just smoothed over enough that your average Joe can enjoy it. An excellent offering by GB.

Comments – Am I the highball here? This was my first beer of the night so we can’t blame it on intoxication. It is a terrific beer that I unrepentantly replaced with my usual weizen accompaniment to a dish of weisswurst and red cabbage.

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Whew-- this is a serious beer, weighing in at around 7% ABV (this will vary by location-- I've had it at the New Orleans restaurant). Pours deep amber, very low transluscence, with a nice light brown head. The flavor is semi-sweet but balanced by a detectable alcohol presence. I gave it a 4.5 on drinkability because its high alcohol content makes one prone to drinking more than one (at least that's how it works with me).

This is a seasonal beer, so grab one before the taps run out.

4.26/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.24/5  rDev +14.3%

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

I Stopped over at GB for lunch. They were serving the Winterbock as their seasonal offering and since it's the only GB beer I hadn't tried natrually I ordered it.

It was presented to me in a big ass Seidel. The Winterbock was a dark brown with some nice dark red higlights. Nice head off tan foamy bubbles.

Big aroma of sweet carmel and chocolate malts.

Very thick bodied Weizenbock with a nice big malt sweetness. Flavors of caramel and raisin in the brew. Light bitterness but this one is mostly a malt bomb.

I ordered the corned beef reuben to accompany my beer. Pretty high ABV, not sure what is was but I was a little buzzy after lunch.

Rather safe WeizenBock that would appeal to the masses, but actually pretty good. Probably one of my favorites in the GB lineup. If you find yourself at a GB I recommend it.

Cheers!

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%

Served in a large mug with just a short cap of light tan foam across the surface, the very dark brown body revealed ruby highlights when held to the light. The aroma was malty with a hint of roastiness and a suggestion of chocolate. In the mouth it was medium bodied and smooth with a median carbonation that gently tingled on the palate. The flavor was fuller than the aroma suggested, and in addition to deep caramel with an almost scorched edge, there was some dark fruit, a hint of spiciness, and a bit of chocolate in the background. It could have been fuller, but I think that would hurt the drinkability. As it is it's quite nicely balanced, and very enjoyable. It didn't seem strong as the alcohol was never noticeable, and I'd imagine that it would be easy to order a third glass of this and head into trouble! Very nicely done!!!

4.17/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber color with a sturdy tan head that retains reasonably and leaves a few ringlets of lace behind

Smell: Rich caramel aroma with stone fruit undertones

Taste: Caramel flavors build in intensity from the get go, with a growing stone fruit element appearing after a while; a subtle bitterness develops, as well, prior to the swallow; the finish has a bit too much lager twang for my palate, however

Mouthfeel: Medium body with sprightly carbonation

Drinkability: I wasn't prepared to like this as much as I did, judging from the other reviews, but this is a very nice bock

4.16/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Appearance: Pretty heavy brown. Not much carbonation. A nice syrupy look though. A very thick layer of tan foam in the glass mug. I give this a very high rating because the foam stays very thick throughout and there is a nice layer of lacing as well.

Smell: Probably the weakness of this beer. I get some coffee malt, and that's about it. Pretty tame, but still good.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very complex! A heavy, thick, smoky mouthfeel that i really enjoy. Extremely veltvety and creamy texture with this beer. High points to that! Tastes like coffee and chocolate, but also some sugar and peppered hop hints in the background. The flavors mesh really well and transform as you drink. I can get some caramel candy in the finish especially. A very warm beer.

Drinkability: I would rate this higher, but it might be a bit too heavy. Still goes great with steak and garlic fries.

Overall: Visit Gordon Biersch and try this!

4.12/5  rDev +11.1%

appearance: almost pitch blackness, head did not hold up.

smell: fruity. maybe raisin

taste: alchohl hidden well. a nice dopple. deep roasted flavors, dark fruits

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: a very solod dopple, extrmely impressed and more than expected.

Gordon Biersch Winter Bock from Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant