Jack Whacker Wheat Ale | Tommyknocker Brewery

Tommyknocker Brewery
Colorado, United States
tommyknocker.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

An American-style wheat ale brewed with malted. Low hopping rates allow the refreshing aroma and citrus flavor of a late addition of lemon grass to dominate. This unfiltered beer retains all of its protein, flavor, and some of its yeast, resulting in a traditionally cloudy appearance.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 12-16-2001

4.97/5  rDev +46.6%

I personally really liked this beer. I was thoroughly impressed with the BrewPub in Idaho Springs; the food was good and the beer was fresh. I'm not much for the appearance or smell of beer, all I care about is whether or not a beer tastes goood. At the end of the day, this is a solid wheat ale; I really enjoy the lemon peel taste that they add.

4.84/5  rDev +42.8%

Hazy golden color, no nutmeg scent which j like, great feel and taste.

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

4.44/5  rDev +31%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Mildly cloudy golden yellow with a pure white frothy head. Citrus fruits, lemon zest, wheat grass, creamy malts and molasses in the aroma. Sweet citrus uplift and buttery malts on the first sip. Rich, milky mouthfeel with fresh hops, thick malts and lemongrass with a lingering soft citrus blend. Sweet, citrusy finish. A really wonderful beer!

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

A - Starts with a wonderful head that leaves a thick lacing on the glass. Cloudy and orange-yellow, perhaps burnt sienna. Or like a beautiful autumn sunset. (Pardon my flourish.)

S - Earthy with a hint of bubblegum.

T - Mellow hop tones compliment the wheat very well. Not as overpowering as most wheat beers.

M - Fine carbonation, not too strong but still detectable. Creamy texture, but not as thick or cloying as some wheat beers are.

D - High. I could have two or three of these in a row without feeling weighed down, which I can't say for Blue Moon. While some wheat beers are complimented by a twist of orange I think this beer is best on its own. I can picture myself picking up a six pack of this for a party, or just to enjoy on my own.

4.34/5  rDev +28%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +26.8%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours two fingers of white creamy head that sticks around for a minute or so before dissapating. A beautiful hazy golden straw color with lots of lively carbonation streaming to feed the thin layer of foam still lingering.

S: Lots of bold lemon and grapefruit notes immediately flood the nose and dominate the aroma, but there is also a slight hint of grains/wheat.

T: This tastes terrific! Like in the nose, there is a lot of lemon and grapefruit going on in the taste. However, it is less of a citric and sour lemon and more of a sweet lemony flavor from the lemongrass that is very bold and delicious while at the same time is not overpowering. The great thing is it tastes natural, not like artificial syrups. The fresh lemon flavors cling to the tounge all the way through to the finish.

M: The mouthfeel is very smooth and it is very refreshing. The perfect amount of carbonation.

O: This is by far the best American Wheat I have ever had. I love the flavor that lemongrass brings to the drink and how refreshing this beer is. Perfect for chilling out during summer. Great beer!

4.26/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy golden color with very little head. Smell has some fruity aromas. Goes down extremely smooth and is a little dry on the tongue. Taste is very malty with some hints of fruit. I'm not a fan of wheat beers but I really liked this one. I only expected a lot more head for a wheat beer. Regardless, this one should be given a try.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

I bought this beer with the Trail Mix 6 pack and overall it was my favorite beer out of the group. There rest either had too much sweetness or had a harsh bitter taste.

A:It had a hazy brown color with an average sized white color head.
S:The aroma is very mild. There seemed to be some spice in the noise, but I wasn't able to pick out anything specific(but it might be the lemon grass that they put in it).
T:It had a very good flavor. There was a slight sweet aftertaste but it was still mild. I think the hint of spice might in part be from the lemon grass. There was a little hing of citrus. Also the wheat does give it a smooth taste.
MF:Light body.
D:I would love to drink this beer again. It has a very interesting taste and a light body.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Hazy gold pour into Sam Adams perfect pint.

A definite lemony grassy scent.

The taste is very refreshing and grainy with all the included scents I noted.

Carbonated quite much and is thinner than I would it to feel, but overall it feels great sliding down the palate with a dry finish and lingering fruitiness.

This one is just so refreshing. A nice addition to my palate after a long day at work.

4.24/5  rDev +25.1%

I'm a biased Colorado resident, but I do enjoy this beer quite a bit. Not the best Hefe but still an enjoyable beer.

Pour: Light Yellow/golden. Looks like a disgusting macro lager

Smell: Lemon and wheat, that's about it.

Taste: Sweet, slight lemon flavor with a strong wheat flavor. Perfect on a nice summer day, or in my case, a few beers in front of a Monday night football game.

Mouthfeel: Very light and refreshing

Overall it's not a complex flavorful brew, but a nice refreshing option none the less. Tommy Knocker makes some solid beers for sure. If you are a Hefeweizen lover then it's definitely worth a try. Personally I prefer Swetty Betty Blonde from Boulder Beer Company.

4.23/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Jack Whacker Wheat Ale from Tommyknocker Brewery